Latitude 2019

MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

A bit middle of the road for me. Whilst the headliners do nothing for me the undercard is way more appealing than it has been the last few years. Couple that with the fact that there are only 24 music names on the announcement and nothing announced for any of the stages under the BBC music stage I'm feeling confident there is going to be a lot to enjoy. Seems to have gone down a more rock based route than the past couple of years too which is a welcome change.

I think im giving it a miss this year. I realise there will ALWAYS be something to see, this is only the initial announcement, there's more to come etc etc....

BUT......i also think that the headliners are the thing most peeps look at. It is a flagpole for the entire event. And.....Lana Del Ray  could be interesting, i guess.....but Snow Patrol? Little Georgie Ezra? Christ........as riveting as a molehill. ITs not just them. Primal Scream will be good, if they decide NOT to phone it in for the umpteenth time. And Slaves are fun-ish, if you can put up with their now very tired routine. Jason Manford?!? fuck me, how bloody beige! And how has Michele Wolf got so high up?

It all so.....disappointing. Even my eternal love for Nadine Shah cannot prompt me to think about going at the moment. Which makes me sad.

2 hours ago, retromoz said:

It all so.....disappointing. Even my eternal love for Nadine Shah cannot prompt me to think about going at the moment. Which makes me sad.

My eternal love for Nadine Shah is the one thing that keeps me hoping there'll be more of interest in the next announcement - did you see her in the film tent a couple of years back - best act all weekend

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, sparkythetortoise said:

My eternal love for Nadine Shah is the one thing that keeps me hoping there'll be more of interest in the next announcement - did you see her in the film tent a couple of years back - best act all weekend

She played there last year. Unfortunately, I was in the medical tent with my kid at the time. HOWEVER....she was divine on the sunrise stage in.....(quick google).....2015.

2 minutes ago, retromoz said:

She played there last year. Unfortunately, I was in the medical tent with my kid at the time. HOWEVER....she was divine on the sunrise stage in.....(quick google).....2015.

I hadn't yet discovered Nadine Shah in 2015 unfortunately. This meant that instead of witnessing a set you've just described as divine, I witnessed Badly Drawn Boy throwing his dummy out of the pram. Bugger.

• Upvote 1

I genuinely felt Latitude had turned a corner last year. The later stuff in the woods was top notch so I’m hoping that the additional acts later will make up for the beige across the lake.  I’ve done 10 on the trot, I’ll probably end up going again but feel it’s gone backwards.

Don’t get me wrong, Slaves, Cat Power, Nadine Shah to name a few are worth it - Underworld (my fave gig of 2017) are a catch although as special guests, I genuinely hope they are given the whole arena to smash the hell out of Henham and not a token half hour on the sunrise at midnight.

TBH the headliners don’t really surprise me that much apart from Snow Patrol. Really? Latitude should always be praised for giving many act that step up many other festivals didnt gamble on (Foals, Bloc Party, Maccabees, Solange) but Snow Patrol? They must have been cheap and a kick between the legs of those working hard to make it.

Have mixed feelings on this years lineup; Lana Del Rey should be brilliant. Also pumped for Underworld, plays wanted to see them live, and to see them storm the Obelisk will be mental. Snow Patrol were relevant 10 years ago but nowadays they feel like a novelty act, but again they have some great stuff in their catalogue. George Ezra is the biggest 'hmm' for me; talented guy but too family-specific and predictable for me as a headliner, only good thing about it is that he is performing on the Friday rather than Sat. Loyle Carner/Sigrid/Nadine Shah/Cat Power should be great, just hoping the the next lineup announcement includes more bands, feels like the whole lineup is lacking them in comparison to solo artists. Would have loved to have seen Hozier/Elbow/Florence there this year but oh well, still going to be a good weekend I am sure of it. 

34 minutes ago, o_desilva said:

just hoping the the next lineup announcement includes more bands, feels like the whole lineup is lacking them in comparison to solo artists. 

It's the way the music industry has been going the last few years to be honest, certainly in terms of new music. For example if you look at this year's BBC Sound of List of the 10 tips only 1 (Sea Girls) is a band, the other 9 are all solo.

• Like 1

Meh. Just not to my taste at all. I like the idea of Underworld closing it... but I fear that field will be quiet on a Sunday night, Lana won’t exactly have people in the mood to dance and i’ll have to drive on Monday.

I’ll go to Latitude (because lots of people I know will be there) but i’ll be thinking about Blue Dot.

Edited by DJL

3 hours ago, fluff164 said:

I genuinely felt Latitude had turned a corner last year. The later stuff in the woods was top notch so I’m hoping that the additional acts later will make up for the beige across the lake.

I honestly read that far, nodding my head until I thought "which lovely efester is speaking such wisdom?"

Then I looked up and saw! ??

2 hours ago, DJL said:

Meh. Just not to my taste at all. I like the idea of Underworld closing it... but I fear that field will be quiet on a Sunday night, Lana won’t exactly have people in the mood to dance and i’ll have to drive on Monday.

I’ll go to Latitude (because lots of people I know will be there) but i’ll be thinking about Blue Dot.

Just saw Underworld are closing Saturday night which is much more appealing...

4 hours ago, tobydlb said:

who do you think are the likely subs because surely Tom Grennan/Loyle Carner etc arent big enough to sub

I actually think Loyle Carner is, he has gained much more of a following since he last performed at Latitude in 2017, and his new stuff is really good tbf

8 hours ago, o_desilva said:

I actually think Loyle Carner is, he has gained much more of a following since he last performed at Latitude in 2017, and his new stuff is really good tbf

oh fairs. I remember when I saw him in 2017 subbing the tent. It was rammed

22 hours ago, retromoz said:

her and Susanne Sundafor on that stage was something else!

23 hours ago, retromoz said:

She played there last year. 

Blimey - you are quite right. Funny how the memory plays tricks. It means, embarrassingly, my inappropriate crush led to me seeing her again a week later at Bluedot, where she was just as good, incidentally.

And now I come to think of it, I do now remember idly thinking - good to see her knee has got better. 

18 hours ago, tobydlb said:

who do you think are the likely subs because surely Tom Grennan/Loyle Carner etc arent big enough to sub

Was thinking Bloc Party could do it? Either that or headline the tent. Their Silent Alarm anniversary tour runs up to the start of July. With the exception of (maybe) Loyle Carner I think the subs are yet to be announced.

18 minutes ago, suttttttt said:

Was thinking Bloc Party could do it? Either that or headline the tent. Their Silent Alarm anniversary tour runs up to the start of July. With the exception of (maybe) Loyle Carner I think the subs are yet to be announced.

I agree, there's nobody on there yet with any sort of pedigree. Sigrid will likely be near the top as she will have released her album by then. Wonder whether Tom Grennan might do a slot similar to that done by RagnBone Man last year.

Last year they released all their 'big' names in announcement one and I suspect that did them no good whatsoever - every subsequent announcement felt like a bit of a let down. Hopefully, they have another four or five 'names' to go on Obelisk, including the subs, along with four or five up and comers. That should provide a decent balance.

It’s a disappointing first announcement, easily bettered by Blue Dot IMHO. The Strokes, Foals, LCD, Chemical Brothers, The The - any would have made a decent headliner for just ONE of the days, whereas we have 3 pretty bland acts. Very surprised at the choice of Snow Patrol.

That said, I AM going and will find plenty to enjoy away from the Obelisk stage...Am hoping for some seriously good subsequent announcements though...

5 hours ago, sparkythetortoise said:

Probably the same here, but enjoyed both last year - what kind of cock up does it take to shift two festivals with a similar appeal so they clash - bonkers!

Yep. Loved them both last year and because I got my electro fix at Blue Dot I was happy just to enjoy Latitude for all it has to offer. I will again this year to some degree... but I am pinning my hopes on finding acts lower on the line-up I don't yet know and a few decent bookings later in the woods.