Open'er 2019

gregory

5 hours ago, gregory said:

3 - 6 July 2019

They've (finally) redesigned the website after a few years https://opener.pl/en/ 

The countdown begins...

The new website is pretty cool. This year I'm hoping for the following set of headliners: Arcade Fire, Paul McCartney, Metallica. The fourth headliner will be for sure a pop/rap name, which I'm not really interested in.

Btw, gregory, I haven't seen any coverage from you on 2018 edition. What are your thoughts? Best shows?

13 hours ago, mln said:

Btw, gregory, I haven't seen any coverage from you on 2018 edition. What are your thoughts? Best shows?

13 hours ago, mln said:

Yeah sorry, had a bit of a mad summer all over Europe! Back to "normality" in Thailand now though, so:

David Byrne (who I'd already seen do exactly the same show a week before) was pure electric at Open'er, I've never experienced a crowd like it. He (and I actually) was almost reduced to tears by the roar of the crowd after every song, it was unbelievable - he was close to god-like in that tent.

Bruno was fantastic in the end, pyro-tastic I mean... thought it'd be a short and lazy set but in the end he played the longest headline set of anyone I think. 

In general the crowd went mad for a few surprising acts which I liked, Superorganism  couldn't believe there was a mosh pit (!) and Young Fathers couldn't believe the reaction too. So I guess people loudly enjoying (what I consider to be) "good music" was the overall highlight. Fleet Foxes, Nick Cave, Odesza, Lor, Kali Uchis also great.

AM were good enough but shitty crowd there. 

For "research" (and as nothing else was on) I went to watch most of Migos, at the end of the set they walked off, the MP3 player or whatever kept playing for about 3 minutes, some confetti canons went off, and then the lights came up. The end. Lol. Think they only did about 50 minutes too. 

Ale tent reducing cup size from 500 to 400 and charging an extra zlotty was the only negative this year I think. Ahaha. And the obnoxious English soccer fans during their game. Also, it seemed much busier than 2016, right? But do-able.

Edited by gregory

• 2 weeks later...

I think Metallica and Sir McCartney are to big for Opener. My Predictions for headliners are: Muse, Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, maybe Jack White and QOTSA, Drake/Kanye West from pop/rap staff. The Cure is also possible and looking for released albums there are chance for Panic at The disco, Fall Out Boy and Arcade Fire. 

From smaller but still big names Interpol is my 100% bet and maybe less sure Twenty one piltos, Greta van Fleet, Editors, Foster The People, Pixies, The Kooks, Franz Ferdinand and Alice in Chains.

If you look at this year's headliners (but not only, just to mention Prince, RHCP or Coldplay), I'm not sure if anything can be too big for Open'er. However, the problem might be in competing for artists with other festivals.
What makes me think that McCartney and Metallica are probable is the fact that they played or will play in Poland this year (similar story as with Bruno Mars, Gorillaz and Depeche Mode). 

Weezer are definitely too small to be a headliner, but the rest of your guesses are quite probable.

Edited by mln

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been attending Open'er since 2011 and only in 2012 the weather didn't allow us to go to the beach (there is a nice beach 15 minutes walk from the campsite, you can also take a bus.)

I'd say lack of alcohol is the major drawback of the festival. Unfortunately, it is related to legislative issues, so there's nothing they can do about it.

Edited by mln

5 minutes ago, gregory said:

Do we think it will be better or worse for Open’er that Werchter is a week before in 2019? 

IMO it should be better, as there won't be any clashes between those 2 festivals. Do we think that The Cure and M&S are now pretty solid options for Open'er? I guess something like that is very probable: M&S - The Cure - Muse - Pink.

On 9/21/2018 at 10:06 PM, gregory said:

Gonna update my prediction; The Cure, Mumford & Sons, Muse, Ed Sheeran/P!nk/Ariana/Yougethegist... 

43 minutes ago, mln said:

IMO it should be better, as there won't be any clashes between those 2 festivals. Do we think that The Cure and M&S are now pretty solid options for Open'er? I guess something like that is very probable: M&S - The Cure - Muse - Pink.

I think so pal. Let’s see, we may be surprised

52 minutes ago, gregory said:

P!nk playing Warsaw on Jul 20, 2019 and looks busy first week of July, so maybe it's a no for Open'er....

There are no chances for P!nk playing Open'er. I'm changing my set of probable headliners to: The Cure / M&S / Muse / Kendrick Lamar.