So whose getting ready for next year?

glastolover19

On 8/20/2018 at 9:39 PM, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Cheers for that Yog, believe me, I don't get much sympathy.

"OK, so you were ski jumping two years after breaking your wrist skiing immediately followed by breaking the other arm? Idiot"  :)

I sold the table and chairs last summer at The Henley Festival, a totally bonkers high end do. Reduced the price heavily to get me out of the financial hole I was in after the two broken bones...now done it again but even better! 

My orthopaedic surgeon says I should bear weight on the broken leg as it hastens healing. It's a bit uncomfortable but doable and safe as theres a load of external metalwork supporting it. Might try using a saw soon and see what happens. Hate not being able to work.

Who knows, might be able to pull something out of the bag before next June, Tramadol is a wonderful thing :D

a leg 2.jpg

Holy SHIT Sawdusty. 

Get well soon. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2018 at 10:21 AM, amfy said:

That’s definitely one thing. We used to start drinking at festivals the minute we woke up but now will be on water, smoothies or coffees until at least lunch time. Somewhere between 2-4 we’ll begin to have the odd pint, but we don’t start really drinking til later in the day......but tbf, that was already happening before our break.

We went on Thursday instead of Wednesday and accepted that we’d be camping in Bushy/Pylon ground. Didn’t have any problem finding a spot. Again this was letting go of the FOMO. We are in our mid 50s - 4 days under canvas is enough. I’ve been there many times on Wednesday and I love it, but in the end, I could love Sunday more without it!

Unless it was someone we absolutely HAD to see, we didn’t leave the tent til mid afternoon. We found there was no-one in this category. We stopped rushing around to see ANYONE we knew 2 tunes by, or ‘sounded interesting’ and rationed this. We spent a whole afternoon/early evening at Theatre/circus/cabaret which was a lot more sitting down.

when I worked it with Shelter, I couldn’t drink as much. Firstly I wasn’t drinking when working, then I wasn’t drinking much before working, and Thirdly, I wouldn’t want to drink enough for a hangover if I was working in the morning! 

I also found that tiredness from work changed what acts I chose to see because I wasn’t prepared to walk miles for anyone who wasn’t an exceptional case, so I ended up seeing a wider variety of acts. This sounds counter intuitive but it’s because I didn’t always head for the obvious. This changed the way I’d started to approach Glastonbury a lot and made it much more like the Glastonbury of my youth that was filled with experiences and interactions rather than names.

Now we have the caravan, we will sleep better, not have to face the lugging stuff across the site, and this gives us a bit of energy back, but the not rushing to get out there/get wrecked/see as many acts as possible will stay with us.

I have massive FOMO and I am on site as early as possible on the Wednesday, and we've taken to driving down Tuesday night and staying in a local hotel last couple of years so its like the party beings on the Tuesday evening now! 

I think the sleeping/camping is also a massive part as we still do standard camping nr Arcadia...and its quite full on as we have a lot of my mates daughters and their friends (all early-mid 20's) who've started coming now who go at it full pelt and drag us in with them. :D Except they are all fine by middday the next day and I'm still rolling around feeling the after effects at 4pm missing a load of acts I want to see.

I already have a no drug rule on the weds and sunday, so without becoming a total bore not sure what else to do! My drinking is already at what you suggest.

I'm pretty sure its the drug abuse that does it as once I start i'm like a tube of Pringles on the stuff. :(