So whose getting ready for next year?

glastolover19

On the whole pacing yourself debate, I've definitely changed the way I do festivals a bit with age. I was never very good at trying to be a party animal anyway and was always a mess by Sunday! One of the biggest issues for me was lack of sleep as, especially if it's warm, I really do struggle to sleep in the tent too late in the day. Now I've accepted I probably can't stay up until 3, 4 or 5am most nights and still feel like a human it's a lot easier. I also don't start drinking until the afternoon, but then I've never been able to roll out of the tent and have a can first thing! Need my coffee first.

I think rushing around less to see bands will definitely be more of a theme going forward. Given the size of Glastonbury, racing from John Peel to the Park to West Holts and back for must-see bands is an easy way to get knackered. We've just been to Green Man and there were a lot less must-sees on the bill for us, which gave us quite a bit of free time for wandering around and chilling. I think I need that these days - it is supposed to be a holiday too!

Not sure if I could go on the Thursday or not... I totally get what Amfy is saying as I'd probably definitely have more energy by Sunday. But Wednesday has always been my favourite day of the festival, so it's tough. I think when T-Day comes I will try for Thursday coach tickets if Wednesday is proving tough (of course both will!) before sacking it off and going for the main sale. But that could change. 

On 8/22/2018 at 1:24 AM, Curlygirl said:

I haven’t started prepping for Glastonbury 2019 yet, I haven’t finished this years fest season, however, I’ve been having the ‘dreams’ for months now and any time I hear a mention of Tday, my stomach somersaults. I’m normally the one that sorts the spreadsheets and gets the gang in order, this year I’m not bothering. As long as my festival bestie and I get them, they can do what they want! They all think I’m mad and many of them don’t bother even logging on on Tday, so I’m being selfish! 

On 8/23/2018 at 8:54 AM, JoeyT said:

Anyone think they may lower the amount of tickets you can get in one go this year? (they made it 4 per person for Pilton Party for instance)

Also, has it ever been as high as 8 or am I just imagining that?

Personally I'd love to see them lower the number of tickets per person, but that's because I'm a very small group of two these days! It does bug me that some of the people that get tickets don't even get up for them and just have nice friends filling in their details... now and again everyone forgets and sleeps in, I suppose, but if it's a running theme then please do be selfish! :)

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

32 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think rushing around less to see bands will definitely be more of a theme going forward. Given the size of Glastonbury, racing from John Peel to the Park to West Holts and back for must-see bands is an easy way to get knackered. We've just been to Green Man and there were a lot less must-sees on the bill for us, which gave us quite a bit of free time for wandering around and chilling. I think I need that these days - it is supposed to be a holiday too!

Found exactly the same thing as Beautiful Days.  Had a quiet period over the weekend and wandered up to the Tiny Tea Tent, ended up having a full on nap stretched out on the grass in the afternoon.  Blissful :)

On 8/27/2018 at 4:08 PM, eastynh said:

Does anyone else fear their luck is going to run out when it comes to getting a ticket? After failing for years, I have struck lucky on the last 3 occasions. I feel more nervous this year than at any time previously. 

What's the most consecutive times peeps have gone without missing out?

This question has made me wonder about my ongoing success rate (and it's a verrry quiet day at work), so I've just gone back to check my history:

Main sales:
2008 - I *think* I got my own ticket? Hard to tell...
2009 - I got my ticket at least
2010 - No luck for me; a friend bought mine
2011 - I got them for the group
2013 - I got them for the group
2014 - I got a ticket for a friend in the (first?) coach sale and waited for mine in the main sale, when I failed... not a good day... :(
2015 - I got two tickets in the coach sale
2016 - Missed out in both the coach and main sale
2017 - No luck for me in the coach sale; an Efester got my tickets

Resales:
2010 - Managed to get a ticket for a friend
2011 - No need to try :)
2013 - No need to try :)
2014 - Managed to get tickets for me and my friend in the coach resale after a year of fretting!
2015 - Tried to help a friend, but no dice
2016 - Didn't try in the end, having made plans elsewhere (a very tough decision that I didn't actually live to regret!)
2017 - No need to try
:)

Probs very boring for everyone else, but interestingly for me that seems a lot higher success rate for myself than I thought it was over the years... mind you, it does suggest that my luck has been diminishing.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This question has made me wonder about my ongoing success rate (and it's a verrry quiet day at work), so I've just gone back to check my history:

Main sales:
2008 - I *think* I got my own ticket? Hard to tell...
2009 - I got my ticket at least
2010 - No luck for me; a friend bought mine
2011 - I got them for the group
2013 - I got them for the group
2014 - I got a ticket for a friend in the (first?) coach sale and waited for mine in the main sale, when I failed... not a good day... :(
2015 - I got two tickets in the coach sale
2016 - Missed out in both the coach and main sale
2017 - No luck for me in the coach sale; an Efester got my tickets

Resales:
2010 - Managed to get a ticket for a friend
2011 - No need to try :)
2013 - No need to try :)
2014 - Managed to get tickets for me and my friend in the coach resale after a year of fretting!
2015 - Tried to help a friend, but no dice
2016 - Didn't try in the end, having made plans elsewhere (a very tough decision that I didn't actually live to regret!)
2017 - No need to try
:)

Probs very boring for everyone else, but interestingly for me that seems a lot higher success rate for myself than I thought it was over the years... mind you, it does suggest that my luck has been diminishing.

I remember you not getting one for 2016 and I was gutted for you as you were going to miss New Order ?

(They were ok, you did not really miss much in regards to a New Order set)

Good luck this time ?

14 minutes ago, Quark said:

Found exactly the same thing as Beautiful Days.  Had a quiet period over the weekend and wandered up to the Tiny Tea Tent, ended up having a full on nap stretched out on the grass in the afternoon.  Blissful :)

I went to Mad Cool. Was not bothered about any of the music and was happy to be guided by everyone else.

Had an absolutely superb weekend and seen loads of new stuff that I would never have dreamt of watching.

First time I have been to a festival and the music has not been the main motivator. The people you spend time with are even more important. I really appreciate that fact now.

Just now, eastynh said:

I remember you not getting one for 2016 and I was gutted for you as you were going to miss New Order ?

Good luck this time ?

Aw, thanks mate - appreciated! I did see New Order at a gig that year (I think!) in the end , and it was great. It was good to miss a year, weirdly - I've said it before, but it did kind of break the spell of thinking OH MY GOD I AM GOING TO DIE IF DON'T GO TO GLASTO

I didn't die. I went to Blue Dot, Supernormal and an Amsterdam hen do (adding Glasto into the mix would have been a bit much as these were all within weeks of each other). I think now I will attempt to take success in the main sale as a kind of sign that it's not my year and do something else... there are definitely are other lovely festivals out there. But I say this only because I have taken my hit on missing a year! Someone else's turn :D 

4 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Good luck this time ?

And good luck to you too! When you say you failed for years, how many? And when was you first?

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

And good luck to you too! When you say you failed for years, how many? And when was you first?

I failed constantly for about 5 years but have been to the last 3.

Difference has been using the computers in work to get them. Not a sniff from home but got through on the 3 occasions I have tried from work.

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

I failed constantly for about 5 years but have been to the last 3.

Difference has been using the computers in work to get them. Not a sniff from home but got through on the 3 occasions I have tried from work.

Hmm interesting. I've done a mixture of both (if the Sunday sale I have been at home or an ex-boyfriend's, or the dreaded rural patchy wi-fi environs of the in-laws). Thursday sale I tend to hang around at work. I'd like to know if it will be 6pm or 7pm this year as it might swing my decision, but to be honest I will probably hang around at work for speedier internets. Even though folks will tell you it makes no difference. 

Hmm interesting. I've done a mixture of both (if the Sunday sale I have been at home or an ex-boyfriend's, or the dreaded rural patchy wi-fi environs of the in-laws). Thursday sale I tend to hang around at work. I'd like to know if it will be 6pm or 7pm this year as it might swing my decision, but to be honest I will probably hang around at work for speedier internets. Even though folks will tell you it makes no difference. 

From my experience it has definitely made a difference.

The only time doing 4 on/4 off has been beneficial. Thankfully I am in work again this time. I get a few peeps in work to help me out and pay for breakfast.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Thanks, just wondered!

Looks like I did remember it right, sort of.  There's an additional £10 to pay if you cancel your coach ticket, but the admin fee for cancelling a standard ticket is now £20 rather than £10, so if you cancel a coach package, that's £30 down the drain:

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/tickets/ticket-info/#COACHPAY

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Looks like I did remember it right, sort of.  There's an additional £10 to pay if you cancel your coach ticket, but the admin fee for cancelling a standard ticket is now £20 rather than £10, so if you cancel a coach package, that's £30 down the drain:

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/tickets/ticket-info/#COACHPAY

Ah thanks for this! I could of course have just looked it up myself, but why do that when you can consult the oracle ;)

12 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ah thanks for this! I could of course have just looked it up myself, but why do that when you can consult the oracle ;)

I kept telling myself you could look yourself, but once I'd given the advice, I had to check it was right.  Then once I'd looked it up, I might as well tell you what I found.

Should never have answered in the first place, grumble, grumble... ;)

Edited by stuartbert two hats

6 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Probs very boring for everyone else....

Not in the least, this is required viewing.

Now for mine :D

2010 - got one in the resale, sold out a few minutes later

2011 - no luck in main sale. In the resale all the general tickets had sold out, friends got through but didn't want to do coach. Wasn't going to stop me, they got one for me.

2013 - Friends got mine in main sale

2014 - knew I was going alone, got coach ticket almost instantly. Best t-day ever.

2015 - friends in main sale again

2016 - friends in main sale yet again

2017 - friends again in coach sale. I got through in main sale and got a Ralpher a ticket. Also managed to get some for other people in the resale.

So I've got my own ticket 2 out of 7 times and seen the ticket page on 2 other occasions. 

11 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Not in the least, this is required viewing.

Now for mine :D

2010 - got one in the resale, sold out a few minutes later

2011 - no luck in main sale. In the resale all the general tickets had sold out, friends got through but didn't want to do coach. Wasn't going to stop me, they got one for me.

2013 - Friends got mine in main sale

2014 - knew I was going alone, got coach ticket almost instantly. Best t-day ever.

2015 - friends in main sale again

2016 - friends in main sale yet again

2017 - friends again in coach sale. I got through in main sale and got a Ralpher a ticket. Also managed to get some for other people in the resale.

So I've got my own ticket 2 out of 7 times and seen the ticket page on 2 other occasions. 

Ha, I didn't actually do the maths after all that... so I make it 6 buying successes out of 9 attempts in the main sale and 2 out of 3 in the resale. Actually not bad!