So whose getting ready for next year?

glastolover19

Hell yes we are...

6 berth campervan has been booked and deposit paid - tick!

Brother and sister-in-law flying home from Oz with flights booked yesterday - tick!

Route already mapped from picking up CV to Tesco in Shepton Mallet to Festival Site - tick!

Currently looking at printing a custom flag to identify CV.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 8/14/2018 at 6:16 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

My Glastonbury days are over now, so I'll not be doing any preparing. I'll be trying to get an efester his tickets on T Day though, so will get caught up in that Glastonbury excitement. I've managed to do 20+ Glastonbury's, so it was a fair innings. 

Hi Yog,

You probably have a similar mindset to me; after attending nearly every Glastonbury between 1983 and 2003, I was gutted that I couldn't get a ticket in 2004...then failed again in 2005 (the year i got married, which changed stuff up a lot). Since then I must admit, my interest waned a bit, and seeing people like Kanye headlining didn't really float my boat.   

However....

I'm curious as to what might be lined up for 2020, 50th anniversary and all that, so I'm at least going to make an effort to try for that one, even though I'm 'prepared to fail', as it were. If I do manage to get in, it's very likely that really would be my last time, but you never know!

Lee (an old noob)

On 8/14/2018 at 4:10 PM, Sasperella said:

Having just returned from Boomtown I'm so psyched for Glastonbury I'm thinking of drawing up the ticket-buying spreadsheet  immediately and hounding everyone I know to put their details in....7 and a half weeks early seems like a legit time to be doing that

Hi Sasperella,

How do you rate Boomtown?

My mate said he would only think about going to Glastonbury again if were to go along with his daughter. I've floated the idea of trying for 2020, and he's mulling over using another festival next year as a test bed to see how he reacts (basically he's not into really big crowds).

I've flagged up Boomtown as a potential for 2019, but never been myself - would you regard it as a likely candidate?

Cheers,

Lee

P.S. I'm well aware that getting a ticket for Glastonbury 2020, let alone three, will not be an easy task.... 

3 minutes ago, lmatth8461 said:

Hi Sasperella,

How do you rate Boomtown?

My mate said he would only think about going to Glastonbury again if were to go along with his daughter. I've floated the idea of trying for 2020, and he's mulling over using another festival next year as a test bed to see how he reacts (basically he's not into really big crowds).

I've flagged up Boomtown as a potential for 2019, but never been myself - would you regard it as a likely candidate?

Cheers,

Lee

P.S. I'm well aware that getting a ticket for Glastonbury 2020, let alone three, will not be an easy task.... 

Hi Lee!

I thought Boomtown was amazing! There are obviously still a lot of big crowds (although actually, I didn't find that to be too overwhelming - they didn't seem to have the same crowding problem moving between stages as Glastonbury can sometimes have), but I suppose the advantage of Boomtown over another festival is that it would actually be a good test as it is quite big and a bit full on like Glastonbury. There are loads of unexpected areas to check out, and I particularly loved the detailed design of all the areas especially copper county and old town. I suppose the big thing is music though. I know a couple of people from my usual Glastonbury crowd wouldn't want to go to Boomtown because the music is mostly EDM and although they've added a lot of punk/rock/metal (which to me is absolutely great and makes the music near perfect), the indie kids might not be so up for it. 

If you go on the efestivals Boomtown chat there's a general Boomtown thread with a lot of people writing really good reviews of their experience, many first timers too, so maybe you can get a good idea from that!

Personally, I think I will definitely be going back in 2019 :)

I think an older person who is just checking out whether festivals might still be for them may well be put off by Boomtown. It's very full on! There is a range of music but it is dominated by techno & d&b, and it's a very young crowd overall. I think Glastonbury is more crowded, bigger, but much gentler! (For context I'm not patronising an older festival goer - I'm 54!)

I'd maybe try Kendall Calling - it's got a mix of music and a bit of a mini-Glastonbury vibe.

Then do Glastonbury and THEN Boomtown!!!

(My experience is on the Boomtown thread - loved it in the end, but in the early stages it was hard to love!)

Thanks for the replies.

We might have to find the balance in terms of my mate & I (who will both be 56 next year) and his daughter who is just into her 20's.

If Boomtown is a bit more full-on than Glastonbury, it might be a bit too much....neither of us are doddering around in zimmer frames yet, but I suspect we would both find 24/7 Techno (or whatever it's called this year) a bit tiresome.

tbh, most of my latter-day experiences were spent in the non-music areas anyway, so I think it would be nice to check out a festival with lots of different types of activity. Looking at recent line-ups, I can't see any indication whatever of the kind of bands I'm into nowadays (all-girl Japanese rock groups), but you can't please all the people all the time, eh?

I'll take a look at Kendall Calling...at least the dates look OK - I'm probably out of the country late June/early July next year, so that factor has to be taken into account too....

Lee  

1 minute ago, lmatth8461 said:

tbh, most of my latter-day experiences were spent in the non-music areas anyway, so I think it would be nice to check out a festival with lots of different types of activity. Looking at recent line-ups, I can't see any indication whatever of the kind of bands I'm into nowadays (all-girl Japanese rock groups), but you can't please all the people all the time, eh?

If you're looking for a decent sampling of non-music stuff, and something a bit more civilised / less crowded / less intense than Glastonbury as a way of easing your friend back in to festivaling, maybe take a look at Shambala or (and nobody believes me whenever I say this) Wilderness. They're both about 15,000 capacity, and both extremely relaxed with some options to step it up if you want, but both have a fairly extensive range of things of things going on beyond the music stages.

To be honest, Shambala probably places too little emphasis on the music for my taste, but that may be to your benefit. Wilderness (this years incarnation) really surprised me, I was expecting it to be posh - and it is, with some utter ridiculousness there in that respect but nothing that can't be avoided - but I didn't find the crowd to be especially up themselves and they were generally out for a good time albeit for the most part without the manic intensity you often get elsewhere.

Not sure that either of them have booked any all girl japanese rock bands though.

If you have enough money (& it works out far cheaper the you'd expect) Sziget in Budapest  is a slightly tamer Glastonbury with a really good combination of line up and other areas to explore (it has theatre, circus even opera stages as well as loads of other off beat stuff) - along with pretty much guaranteed sunshine in an amazing city! We have done it with flights, an apartment and travelling into the festival from the city each day for under £500 a head for 10 days in Budapest (7 days of music) It's really cheap when you get there as the £ is strong against the HUF and beer about £2.50 a pint in the festival.

Edited by amfy

On 8/15/2018 at 12:03 PM, JoeyT said:

Seeing some of the posts from Yog regarding the size of the festival etc has got me thinking.

Does anyone here just stick to one area and not really leave that?

I remember watching the Julien Temple Shangri-La documentary which if i remember rightly had  a brief bit from the Greenfields folks of which one couple said they don't leave the confines of that area and go below the railway line to venture in to what i believe they referred to as "babylon"

I suppose it's definitely doable and could almost be treated as a fesitval within the festival. 

I met someone who never normally left Greenfields in 2013 when she asked me for directions to the Pyramid Stage as she wanted to see the Stones

4 hours ago, lmatth8461 said:

Hi Yog,

You probably have a similar mindset to me; after attending nearly every Glastonbury between 1983 and 2003, I was gutted that I couldn't get a ticket in 2004...then failed again in 2005 (the year i got married, which changed stuff up a lot). Since then I must admit, my interest waned a bit, and seeing people like Kanye headlining didn't really float my boat.   

However....

I'm curious as to what might be lined up for 2020, 50th anniversary and all that, so I'm at least going to make an effort to try for that one, even though I'm 'prepared to fail', as it were. If I do manage to get in, it's very likely that really would be my last time, but you never know!

Lee (an old noob)

Hello Imath8461,

Yes, I've got to admit that the 2020 one might be a bit of an achilles heal for me too. I should imagine that the one where all the stops will be pulled out - both by the festival, and by the punters. I'll probably manage not to go for tickets in 2019, but may well be inclined for 2020. If I did get tickets for 2020, then that would be a suitable extravaganza to properly hang up my Glastonbury spurs. :)

3 hours ago, incident said:

Wilderness (this years incarnation) really surprised me, I was expecting it to be posh - and it is, with some utter ridiculousness there in that respect but nothing that can't be avoided - but I didn't find the crowd to be especially up themselves and they were generally out for a good time albeit for the most part without the manic intensity you often get elsewhere.

I happened to be on a train in the vicinity of Wilderness which had a load of people on it who were on their way there.

Not a lot to go on but it gave me the impression it made Latitude look like a drunken night out in Birkenhead. 

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I happened to be on a train in the vicinity of Wilderness which had a load of people on it who were on their way there.

Not a lot to go on but it gave me the impression it made Latitude look like a drunken night out in Birkenhead.  

Yeah, as I said the posh reputation is very warranted - some of the people and the activities on offer border on self parody at times and would benefit from a bit of self awareness. But aside from the paid extras which were of no interest anyway, I didn't find it at all exclusionary and it's still a surprisingly excellent festival regardless. To be honest, if you took away some of the worst of it (banquets etc), then the festival would be pretty much exactly what Latitude claims tries and in my view largely fails to be.

well today ive received a delivery of a new t-shirt .... you might just recognise the guy on the front .... will probably wear it to the evening with Michael Eavis talk he's doing at a local theatre in October. Anyone thats in or near Taunton that wants to come along give me a shout :) 

IMG_1967.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

well today ive received a delivery of a new t-shirt .... you might just recognise the guy on the front .... will probably wear it to the evening with Michael Eavis talk he's doing at a local theatre in October. Anyone thats in or near Taunton that wants to come along give me a shout :) 

IMG_1967.jpg

Great t shirt.

On 8/16/2018 at 11:40 AM, lmatth8461 said:

Hi Yog,

I'm curious as to what might be lined up for 2020, 50th anniversary and all that,

Hmm, Big birthday next year, was thinking it'll be the last one if get tickets, maybe you just killed that notion :)

7 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

IMG_1967.jpg

My wife got me that same shirt, except in black!

• Upvote 1

On 8/14/2018 at 7:32 PM, amfy said:

Yog you may just need some time off to do other things. We missed a couple of Glasonburies in recent years to refresh it and it's worked for us.

I've done 12 Glastonbury's in a row and i'm starting to fear that this is coming soon for me.....I'll see how the next couple go (tickets pending) as i still enjoy it, and really want to be there for the 50th anniversary. but after that i may tactically miss one to see if it brings it back to when i first started going for me!

19 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

IMG_1967.jpg

Awesome! Needs lights! ?