So whose getting ready for next year?

glastolover19

3 hours ago, Phil1234 said:

So I was getting all excited thinking all the same things you all are saying, until I work out today, a mate's wedding is the same weekend and my heart sinks...gutted!

Went in the very next day after my wedding(wedding was Wednesday and went in Thursday,which was huge compromise as usually go in on Thursday) amazinly the Mrs was awesomely ok about it however got a load of sh!te from in-laws but by the time I pitched up and had the first doo(purely medicinal) I'd forgot all about it. Only ball ache was Monday as left site at 5am and headed to Gatwick for honeymoon flight feeling a touch worse for wear. My only advice is do what you want to do mate,if they are real mates they will understand and if not I'll have a cider with ya

3 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Isn't there a tiny temptation to try on ticket day?? 

Hello Avalon_Fields,

Yes, there's a temptation within me, and one which will only get stronger as we nearer T Day. However, I MUST be strong! OMG, I've just realized that I know, that you know, that I have the breaking strain of a Kit Kat! :)

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

My Glastonbury days are over now, so I'll not be doing any preparing. I'll be trying to get an efester his tickets on T Day though, so will get caught up in that Glastonbury excitement. I've managed to do 20+ Glastonbury's, so it was a fair innings. 

Whoaaaa there Yog, never say never. What you need is a year say watching it on the BBC while you realise that you should be there.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

Whoaaaa there Yog, never say never. What you need is a year say watching it on the BBC while you realise that you should be there.

Hello eastynh,

I've never watched any of the acts (except a snippet of Lady Gaga) on the telly. The thing is, I've never gone there for the music. It's always just been to have fun with my mates. We're spread about a bit geographically speaking and it was always the one place where we used to catch up as a mob, apart from the odd wedding (such as my own). Both me and my wife realized that we were paying for entertainment that we just weren't witnessing, because we just stayed at the camp site most of the time. You know what's known as the 'Naughty Corner' - I can't ever recall seeing it. Then again, can a lot of people! So, it's a pretty high price to stay in a field when you can do that at a camp site for so much less money. Me and the wife did try to venture out one year, but unfortunately my wife's son gave us some military grade acid (to be getting on with!) and we only made it as far as the Acoustic Tent from our camp site which used to be called 'Top Webbs Ash' - not sure what it's called now, as I only remember the old name for it. Anyway, later that festival we tried again to explore, but only got as far as the place selling chips at the bottom of the hill from Top Webbs Ash. Once we got there, we decided to call our adventuring to a halt, and lay down in front of the counter area of the food outlet, and just talked for hours, before walking back up the hill, before talking again for hours. That's as far as we got the whole festival!

Yes, I'd love to be there really. However it would be costly, and I'd be using up the ticket of someone who would get more out of it. I really have had a fine innings on the Glasto front, and would hate to spoil that run by going to it when it no longer has the same impact on me.

Also wishing you (and everyone on here) the very best of good fortune on T Day. :)

Yog you may just need some time off to do other things. We missed a couple of Glasonburies in recent years to refresh it and it's worked for us. At Bestival it was our first time in the caravan we treated ourselves to, whereas you were stuck somewhere which didn't suit the extreme heat. Whilst we have loved our camping, we were so ready for the van!

As for us, We have just worked the 2 festivals which Oxfam require as a minimum to guarantee a volunteer place for Glastonbury. The only place in the summer we could fit them in was to do 2 in a row and we have just done Bestival and Boomtown. We are more than a little broken!....but have had a blast!

The original plan was to have the Oxfam volunteering as a back up if we didn't get tickets, but now we think we won't bother trying for tickets and will simply volunteer. It's a different way of experiencing a festival and we enjoyed shaking it up a bit after so many years of going as a punter. We are at the point where it's about the festival so much more than the music - which is always something we SAY about Glastonbury but genuinely, now there are very few acts we NEED to see, and volunteering really immerses you in the festival itself in a way we loved.

So - hopefully we will be seeing many of you there next year! We're ready!

• Upvote 1

I did 5 years doing many jobs within one venue - basically working with my mates. 

And then after the 2012 fallow year the next 5 with the next venue - again more working with mates.

Now I’m beggining to seriously consider another job change for the run from 2019 to 2023...  Or at least look at all my various options.  

3 hours ago, amfy said:

Yog you may just need some time off to do other things. We missed a couple of Glasonburies in recent years to refresh it and it's worked for us. At Bestival it was our first time in the caravan we treated ourselves to, whereas you were stuck somewhere which didn't suit the extreme heat. Whilst we have loved our camping, we were so ready for the van!

As for us, We have just worked the 2 festivals which Oxfam require as a minimum to guarantee a volunteer place for Glastonbury. The only place in the summer we could fit them in was to do 2 in a row and we have just done Bestival and Boomtown. We are more than a little broken!....but have had a blast!

The original plan was to have the Oxfam volunteering as a back up if we didn't get tickets, but now we think we won't bother trying for tickets and will simply volunteer. It's a different way of experiencing a festival and we enjoyed shaking it up a bit after so many years of going as a punter. We are at the point where it's about the festival so much more than the music - which is always something we SAY about Glastonbury but genuinely, now there are very few acts we NEED to see, and volunteering really immerses you in the festival itself in a way we loved.

So - hopefully we will be seeing many of you there next year! We're ready!

Hello amfy,

Yes, I think that I need time out alright. We've got a very small festival to go to in September, but that'll be alright. Then, I'll not be booking any festivals for next year after that. Something which I would normally do.

It's good to hear that you've enjoyed the volunteering, and great to hear that it secures you entry to Glasto next year. I've got mates who volunteer with Birmingham Friends of the Earth, and they always seem to have a great time enjoying their time on and off from duties. 

All the best. :)

5 hours ago, amfy said:

When you're making your decisions, it's worth remembering that the roles Oxfam have at Glastonbury are very different to the ones at Bestival and Boomtown. Specificially, at Glastonbury they're almost all on and around the gates (ticket/photo checking, directing crowds, etc) which given the size of the site can potentially mean your shift is at some remote outpost an hours walk away.

Whereas at both Bestival and Boomtown, as you'll probably have experienced most of the roles are in more central and interesting places so for my taste the work is generally more enjoyable and also easier to get to (well, aside from those ridiculous hills at Boomtown). I've done all 3 of them with Oxfam, and a few others, but Glastonbury is the one I went back to buying a ticket for.

I'm not saying don't work it though, there's definitely benefits to doing so, just that the experience may be a bit different than you've had so far.

17 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Avalon_Fields,

Yes, there's a temptation within me, and one which will only get stronger as we nearer T Day. However, I MUST be strong! OMG, I've just realized that I know, that you know, that I have the breaking strain of a Kit Kat! :)

Hang on, is the slogan for KitKat have a break because you're supposed to break the fingers apart? Everything makes so much more sense now.

8 hours ago, incident said:

When you're making your decisions, it's worth remembering that the roles Oxfam have at Glastonbury are very different to the ones at Bestival and Boomtown. Specificially, at Glastonbury they're almost all on and around the gates (ticket/photo checking, directing crowds, etc) which given the size of the site can potentially mean your shift is at some remote outpost an hours walk away.

Whereas at both Bestival and Boomtown, as you'll probably have experienced most of the roles are in more central and interesting places so for my taste the work is generally more enjoyable and also easier to get to (well, aside from those ridiculous hills at Boomtown). I've done all 3 of them with Oxfam, and a few others, but Glastonbury is the one I went back to buying a ticket for.

I'm not saying don't work it though, there's definitely benefits to doing so, just that the experience may be a bit different than you've had so far.

Thank you.

We have had a mixture of shifts over the 2 festivals we have done with Oxfam, and I also volunteered with Shelter at Glastonbury last year. Bestival and Boomtown already were chalk and cheeses in terms of the experience so I was never really expecting the same again.

Our Boomtown shifts were often close to an hours walk away - and sometimes in places where we seriously hated the music, but we still enjoyed it. We also worked Boomtown Springs/Paradise Heights as gate work and enjoyed interacting with people coming in. The only shift that bored me to death was the night shift at Bestival - but the night shift is boring everywhere - at least Glastonbury is open all night!

The 2 friends we worked with at Boomtown also did Glastobury last year and had a boring gate shift but would still do the same again. At Glastonbury, those 3x8 hours are over a longer number of days, and you are more likely to get some decent time off whilst the main festival is on, especially because of the emphasis on the gates (it slows once the festival starts). Last year with Shelter on the bars I worked Fri/Sat/Sun (because the busiest times are once it's got going) and would still do it again!

I love being there before the public and wandering the empty site, the easy access to showers, the crew bars, the number of people who talk to you whilst you have a tabard on, the way your time off is precious, yet you'll use it to see something near (to save your feet) rather than something obvious.

I've been going to Goastonbury since 1986. I need to do it differently, and I want to give something back. 

It's  also that we have to try it! We've not done it! If it ruins what Glastonbury should be for us then we'd go back to the October scramble next time (still with Oxfam as back up), but for this year, there's 2 less of us trying!

I'll be letting you know half we get on! x

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

Hang on, is the slogan for KitKat have a break because you're supposed to break the fingers apart? Everything makes so much more sense now.

Hello priest17,

Yes, I was trying to infer that my self will not to do something I shouldn't, is less than legendary ie. I could well 'break' before now and T Day, and say to myself ' Fuck it, I'm going to try for tickets'. However, for now, I'm running with the notion of not going to the festival. Actually, I had a thought this morning about sneaking in to the festival somehow (No need for the Twix story, as I've / we've all read it) just to go to the efestivals meet up, and then leave again and go back home. 

Seeing some of the posts from Yog regarding the size of the festival etc has got me thinking.

Does anyone here just stick to one area and not really leave that?

I remember watching the Julien Temple Shangri-La documentary which if i remember rightly had  a brief bit from the Greenfields folks of which one couple said they don't leave the confines of that area and go below the railway line to venture in to what i believe they referred to as "babylon"

I suppose it's definitely doable and could almost be treated as a fesitval within the festival. 

7 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Seeing some of the posts from Yog regarding the size of the festival etc has got me thinking.

Does anyone here just stick to one area and not really leave that?

I remember watching the Julien Temple Shangri-La documentary which if i remember rightly had  a brief bit from the Greenfields folks of which one couple said they don't leave the confines of that area and go below the railway line to venture in to what i believe they referred to as "babylon"

I suppose it's definitely doable and could almost be treated as a fesitval within the festival. 

I reckon that I could stick just to the Greenfields, no problem. I'd probably have a problem sticking to any other area, in fact. I've always wanted more Greenfieds action than I've given myself, in the past. 

I've probably done my last Glastonbury anyway but I've tended in recent years to largely stick to the east side, staying in CV East and mainly going to the Acoustic.  Other than that it's a venture up to the Greenfields and no more than a couple of Pyramid acts.

On 8/14/2018 at 2:44 PM, Hugh Jass said:

Make some at Glastonbury.

Win-win.

Made loads, went to my first by myself. Lots of glasto pals attended my wedding to another efester last year. It's the best. :D Actually they were all efesters too. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1