day by day

WM Hall

so how are your days looking? i'm almost entirely clash-free. it's ace!! friday is pretty weak, no must-sees or big passions but i'm excited to check out/ explore plenty (especially the late junction takeover). saturday and sunday are the big days (three MUST sees - absolute musts - on each day).

must sees in bold. things i'm excited for (but to a lesser extent) in italics. other acts i'll try and check-out in regular text.

Thurs:

Shopping, Kiran Leonard

Fri: 

Nilufer Yanya, Tirzah, Zimpel Ziolek, The Orielles, Jeff Tweedy, The Scorpios 

Sat:

Duds, Omar Souleyman, Mulatu Astatke, Destroyer, Vampire Weekend, James Holden

Sun:

Richard Dawson, Damien Jurado, Imarhan, Julia Holter, John Cale, Feist, Ariel Pink

I'd forgotten that Ariel Pink was one of your fanboy bands Will. Looking forward a lot to your mate on Thursday night, but for the weekend my schedule is this (asterisks are the 3 must sees of the day):

Friday Stella Donnelly >  Saba Lou > Nilufer Yanya > Lucy Dacus > Warhaus *  > Josh T Pearson * > Low Anthem > Big Thief * > St Vincent
Saturday A Wesley Chung >  Boy Azooga * > Julien Baker > Flat Worms  > Shame > Gwenno * > Soccer Mommy > Hookworms * > Vampire Weekend
(pretty good for my weakest day)
Sunday Hayley Henderyckx > Plastic Mermaids > Anna Burch * > Honey Harper > Amen Dunes * > Japanese Breakfast > Julia Holter > Ezraaaaa! * > Snail Mail > White Denim

Ah, these are always classic ways to spend time. I know there is another Clashfinder already posted on here (and no disrespect), but have made my own as ever, if anyone is interested. It includes some Line of Best Fit stuff I don't think is on the other one  - https://clashfinder.com/s/endoftheroad2018 

My weekend is looking a little like this. Clashes have been lethal this year. Such a solid line-up. 

Thursday: Suggested Friends > Shopping > Yo La Tengo

Friday: Tiny Ruins > Daniel Blumberg > Du Blonde > Lucy Dacus > (half of) This is the Kit > Big Thief > St. Vincent > Protomartyr 

Saturday: Boy Azooga > Duds > Omar Souleyman > Gwenno / Mulatu Astake (horrible clash, still haven't quite decided) > Destroyer > Vampire Weekend 

Sunday: Hayley Heynderickx > Richard Dawson > Imarhan > Julia Holter > Ezra Furman > Idles > Feist > Ariel Pink

Such little time in the Tipi but stoked for what is bound to be a cracking weekend. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, teamcampesinos! said:

Ah, these are always classic ways to spend time. I know there is another Clashfinder already posted on here (and no disrespect), but have made my own as ever, if anyone is interested. It includes some Line of Best Fit stuff I don't think is on the other one  - https://clashfinder.com/s/endoftheroad2018 

My weekend is looking a little like this. Clashes have been lethal this year. Such a solid line-up. 

Thursday: Suggested Friends > Shopping > Yo La Tengo

Friday: Tiny Ruins > Daniel Blumberg > Du Blonde > Lucy Dacus > (half of) This is the Kit > Big Thief > St. Vincent > Protomartyr 

Saturday: Boy Azooga > Duds > Omar Souleyman > Gwenno / Mulatu Astake (horrible clash, still haven't quite decided) > Destroyer > Vampire Weekend 

Sunday: Hayley Heynderickx > Richard Dawson > Imarhan > Julia Holter > Ezra Furman > Idles > Feist > Ariel Pink

Such little time in the Tipi but stoked for what is bound to be a cracking weekend. 

We've got very similar Sat and Suns! And as always, thanks for your service re clashfinders, I'm pretty sure I've printed yours off each of the four years I've attended

I only have a couple of clashes andthey're pretty stark in tone, so it will be an easy call at the time

Friday - I'm there late (have I mentioned that? lol) so hopefully be in time for Big Thief, getting revved up for Annie, followed by Protomartyr

Saturday - Hopefully up early enough for Screaming Females. Mooch, lunch and beers before Omar, Gwenno, Soccer Mommy double header before Hookworms (my festival must see) and then I'll probably go Vampire Weekend cos I'll be drunk and it'll be fun. Late call between Holden and Snapped Ankles

Sunday - Hopefully up early enough for AKDK (WHY ARE THEY ON SO EARLY?), realxing and tagging along with mates before Titus (still gutted it's acoustic) and Ezra, then making a call between Idles and Snail Mail (probably Idles) and then seeing what the last night has in store - I reckon Titus will be one of those secret tipi sets and I want in

Wow, writing it out, what a lovely time I'm going to have

Friday - Red River Dialect, Hiss Golden Messenger, The Weather Station, This is the Kit, Josh T. Pearson, The Low Anthem, Fat White Family, Jeff Tweedy

Saturday - Colter Wall, Boy Azooga, Shannon and the Clams, Julien Baker, Omar Souleyman, Mulatu Astake, Gruff Rhys, Soccer Mommy, Hookworms, Sweet Baboo, Oh Sees, Snapped Ankles

Sunday - The Liminanas, The Posies, Damien Jurado, Jonathan Wilson, Julia Holter, Ezra Furman, John Cale, Feist, Ariel Pink

Couple of 50/50s in there. 

aewCbzF.gif

Friday bit of a mooch, Hiss Golden Messenger, This is the Kit,  The Low Anthem,  Big Thief, Jeff Tweedy

Saturday Insecure Men, Omar Souleyman, Shame, Gruff Rhys, Vampire Weekend

Sunday all day at Garden stage, but might take a look at Idles. Can barely believe I’m choosing to miss Ezra Furman

Hmm... Clashfinder highlighting is a wonderful thing.

Thursday: Suggested Friends, Shopping, Kiran Leonard/Yo La Tengo back and forth

Friday: Penelope Isles, Stella Donnelly, second half of Creatures, Nilufer Yanya, This Is The Kit, Tirzah, Darren Hayman (who's been performing Breaking God's Heart in full recently), The Low Anthem/Lost Horizons bad clash, Big Thief, St Vincent, Protomartyr

Saturday: Stealing Sheep's Suffragette Tribute, Boy Azooga, Duds, Wild Billy Childish, Gwenno, half of Gruff Rhys, Soccer Mommy, Hookworms, Vampire Weekend

Sunday: AK/DK, Anna Burch, The Posies, most of Damien Jurado, David Thomas Broughton, Julia Holter, John Cale, half of Idles, Snail Mail, most of Feist

What else? Andy Zaltzman and John-Luke Roberts are in the comedy line-up. Wouldn't mind hearing from Daniel Rachel as I like his books, and also Tot Taylor used to run The Compact Organisation so I might get the chance to pester him about Virna Lindt and Shake/Shake. And doubtless I'll stumble across a piano set or Line Of Best Fit event at some stage.

On 8/14/2018 at 9:02 AM, Sean1234321 said:

Yeah I know, Vampire Weekend just seem very popular.

I could count on one hand the number of bands I'd see over Oh Sees though (and VW aren't one of them).

ordinarily this could be me, but Oh Sees are over 'ere a lot, lot more than VW right now? so VW is my listed intent, but possibility of mooching off part way through, attracted by guitars and Garden Stage = fair.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

First time poster but this'll be my sixth (consecutive) End of the Road, and I'm looking forward to it as much as ever.

Looks like a good year this one, and I might even see one or two of the main headliners for a change. As ever there's some clashes, of which the ones that are irking me most are probably Lucy Dacus / Warhaus and Anna Burch / Richard Dawson. And it's a pity that the awesome Stella Donnelly has been given a rather miserable half hour lunchtime slot. But, rough plan:

Thursday: Bas Jan, Yo La Tengo

Friday: Tiny Ruins, Stella Donnelly, Lucy Dacus / Warhaus, Low Anthem, Fat White Family / Big Thief, St Vincent, Protomartyr and try and stay up for Warmduscher

Saturday: Screaming Females, Boy Azooga, Julien Baker, Alex G, Sunflower Bean, Soccer Mommy, Vampire Weekend, Snapped Ankles

Sunday: after Anna Burch, Richard Dawson and The Liminanas have all been on at the same time, there's a gap until maybe Japanese Breakfast, Ezra Furman, Idles, and maybe Ariel Pink, although I generally turn in early on the Sunday for an early start back up the road to Scotland next morning.

During the gaps I'll head to the Piano Stage, which hosted a couple of my highlights last year, and where they're promising more stuff this year. (I reckon you could have a pretty reasonable festival, musically, if you just hung around there for the three days, tbh.)

Good festivalling, everyone.

2 hours ago, Yoss said:

Sunday: after Anna Burch, Richard Dawson and The Liminanas have all been on at the same time, there's a gap until maybe Japanese Breakfast, Ezra Furman, Idles, and maybe Ariel Pink, although I generally turn in early on the Sunday for an early start back up the road to Scotland next morning.

You'll have time to fit Haley Hendrix in before the Anna Burch/Richard Dawson/The Liminanas clash.

Few gaps to fill (particular Sunday morning, what should I see?) but currently looking like:

Thursday: Probably just Yo La Tengo unless I get off shift in time to catch a bit of Shopping too, which is unlikely.

Friday: Hiss Golden Messenger > Amyl and the Sniffers >  This Is The Kit > Josh T. Pearson > Big Thief > St Vincent > Protomartyr

Saturday: Screaming Females > Insecure Men > Julien Baker > Omar Souleyman > (Sandy) Alex G > Shame > Sunflower Bean > Soccer Mommy > Hookworms > Vampire Weekend

Sunday: Titus Andronicus > Ezra Furman > Idles > White Denim > Ariel Pink

Thanks to Teamcampesinos! for the Clashfinder, mucho appreciated. This is my first End of the road and first festival for a couple of years due to working away so excitement levels are through the roof, hence this super packed schedule.

Thursday:  Suggested Friends>Shopping>Yo La Tengo

Friday: Tiny Ruins>Stella Doherty>Creatures>Du Blonde>The Weather Station or Amyl and the Sniffers>Warhaus>Josh T Pearson>Fat White Family>The Orielles>St Vincent>Protomartyr>Warmduscher 

Saturday:Screaming Females>Insecure Men>Julien Baker>Omar Souleyman>Shame>Mulatu Astake or Gwenno>Soccer Mommy or Destroyer>Hookworms>Oh Sees>Snapped Ankles

Sunday: Hayley Heynderickx>AK/DK>The Liminanas>Imarhan>Japanese Breakfast>Titus Andronicus>Iceage>John Cale>Snail Mail>White Denim>Ariel Pink

14 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Few gaps to fill (particular Sunday morning, what should I see?) but currently looking like:

Thursday: Probably just Yo La Tengo unless I get off shift in time to catch a bit of Shopping too, which is unlikely.

Friday: Hiss Golden Messenger > Amyl and the Sniffers >  This Is The Kit > Josh T. Pearson > Big Thief > St Vincent > Protomartyr

Saturday: Screaming Females > Insecure Men > Julien Baker > Omar Souleyman > (Sandy) Alex G > Shame > Sunflower Bean > Soccer Mommy > Hookworms > Vampire Weekend

Sunday: Titus Andronicus > Ezra Furman > Idles > White Denim > Ariel Pink

Richard Dawson and Haley Heynderickx are my Sunday morning must-sees

My second EOTR (first was 2016), can't wait!

There are a couple of gaps where and check out the comedy/film stage or pick something on the day, but my schedule is looking something like this:

Thursday: Yo La Tengo

Friday: Tiny Ruins>Du Blonde>Tirzah>Low Anthem>Big Thief>Jeff Tweedy>Protomartyr

Saturday: Screaming Females>Omar Souleyman>Mulatu Astatke>Gruff Rhys>Hookworms>Vampire Weekend

Sunday:  Honey Harper>David Thomas Broughton> Cut Worms>Iceage/Ezra Furman>White Denim>Ariel Pink

Monday: Oh Sees in London 

On 8/24/2018 at 8:54 PM, Losing my hair said:

You'll have time to fit Haley Hendrix in before the Anna Burch/Richard Dawson/The Liminanas clash.

Might well do that/ Although, given that the weekend is already quite well served for slightly earnest female singer-songwriters, I might also be tempted to give Zulu Zulu a go.

Meanwhile, a mate is absolutely raving about how good Snapped Ankles were at Sea Change this weekend. Between that and Warmsucher - whose new album is a lot of fun, loads better than the first - I'm thinking the late night Tipi stuff might be the place to be this weekend, even before we know the surprise sets.