Shiiine On - Birmingham

Flaminglippy

Anybody going to this...note the venue has changed from the NEC to The Academy (clearly wasn't selling well). Also looks like some of the bands have dropped off like Deja Vega. Bummer.  

On the plus side, easier to get home. On the downside, the chance of getting a beer without a massive wait has just dropped to non-existent.   

12 minutes ago, Flaminglippy said:

Should still be a good crack. The Academy ain't the best but has a bit more atmosphere than the NEC. 

I’ve only been to the new Academy at the Dome a couple of times and didn’t really care for it. Used to love the old one under Argos, worked there for a spell in the mid-00’s.

15 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’ve only been to the new Academy at the Dome a couple of times and didn’t really care for it. Used to love the old one under Argos, worked there for a spell in the mid-00’s.

The one that used to be the Hummingbird? Yeah...that was a far better venue. Had some top nights there.

Agree the new one is a bit crap (although last few gigs I've seen there have been a bit better). I'm hoping the wave of indie nostalgia will tide me over the fact I am having to queue half an hour to pay £6 for a pint of piss-weak lager

I remember the Hummingbird well. Only went there the once to my recollection, but what a night that was. An open market and the 'boutique' oasis was above it. I think, but can't be sure, that Boy George sold me a pair of Dr.Martens at Oasis. And then one of my family married a member of his family. So, at one point I was distantly related to him. Not sure how I feel about that - bit of a Karma, karma, karma, chameleon!

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Birmingham is really shit at selling tickets for festivals, has there been one that’s a success. 

Personally im glad of the change, better atmosphere than tge NEC and easier to get the train home. 

You ain't wrong...look at that one last year in the City Centre with Editors headlining on the Sunday. Cracking line-up but virtually no bugger there (even with the tickets dropping to a tenner!) and half of those that were there left after J&MC (shame, Editors were fantastic as ever). They had one on the same site a few years back with Graham Coxon headlining and touts were flogging tickets for that outside on the day for a fiver or sommat. 

See...this is why we don't get nice things.

Only thing about this one I'd say is that Orbital don't feel like a natural headliner after a day of guitar music...maybe having someone the likes of James might have shifted a few more tickets.        

37 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Makes you wonder just how few tickets they've shifted. A fully open NEC would hold what, 15-20k? The Academy, with all rooms full, doesn't hold more than 4k.

Yeah...and always seems like 3999 of them are in front of me in the bar queue when I want I pint.

Shame though...to be fair to the organisers its a decent line-up for the money.

2 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

Shame though...to be fair to the organisers its a decent line-up for the money.

Perhaps the issue is the bands playing are already playing a lot of festivals this summer. 

Also timing of the festival, perhaps October would of been a better seller. Festival season well and truly over and a gap between the Shiine on weekender.

Jim Bob playing was a sealer for myself, especially as he does mostly carter songs. One of my first gigs was Carter at the hummingbird around 1990-91. 

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Perhaps the issue is the bands playing are already playing a lot of festivals this summer. 

Also timing of the festival, perhaps October would of been a better seller. Festival season well and truly over and a gap between the Shiine on weekender.

Jim Bob playing was a sealer for myself, especially as he does mostly carter songs. One of my first gigs was Carter at the hummingbird around 1990-91. 

Yeah...could be. Plus its probably bands have seen shitloads anyway...god knows how many times I've seen this lot collectively over the years. Seeing them all together on me doorstep for £60 though...gotta do it  

Yeah definitely gonna try catch Jim Bob...never saw them at Hummingbird but caught them at Q Club a few years later. That was a great venue...saw Pulp there. Happy days. 

12 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

Yeah...could be. Plus its probably bands have seen shitloads anyway...god knows how many times I've seen this lot collectively over the years. Seeing them all together on me doorstep for £60 though...gotta do it  

Yeah definitely gonna try catch Jim Bob...never saw them at Hummingbird but caught them at Q Club a few years later. That was a great venue...saw Pulp there. Happy days. 

Never really went to the Q Club, I started going out in Brum in the late 90's and by that point it had its reputation for being a druggy hole. My mum banned me from going there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2018 at 7:57 PM, thetime said:

Their main Shiiiiiiiiiine on festival is in October though.

On 8/14/2018 at 9:45 PM, Flaminglippy said:

I loved the Q Club and was at that Pulp gig! The first thing I went to at The Q Club was something called ‘Bubble’ which they actually taggged as a ‘festival under a roof. The Q would have been a perfect venue for this.

Anyway - you can get ‘pass outs’ til 8pm so I think we’ll keep nipping over to The Vic to throw back a drink during the afternoon!

16 hours ago, amfy said:

I loved the Q Club and was at that Pulp gig! The first thing I went to at The Q Club was something called ‘Bubble’ which they actually taggged as a ‘festival under a roof. The Q would have been a perfect venue for this.

Anyway - you can get ‘pass outs’ til 8pm so I think we’ll keep nipping over to The Vic to throw back a drink during the afternoon!

Ha ha! The thing I remember most about that gig was the support band called 'Minty', one of whom looked semi-naked under a shower curtain and looked suspiciously like they were sniffing glue...don't think they ever appeared on 'Top of The Pops'.

Vics a good shout. Was planning on 'Sunflower Lounge' but Vic has better choice of ales thinking about it. Just gonna be a ball-ache missing an hours worth of music just to go have a pint.   

Imagine they've had to do pass-outs as I can't remember ever seeing them selling food in the Academy.  

Has anybody received their ticket yet?

I have got my tickets. 

I’m wondering as it’s billed as a ‘festival’ whether there will be a ‘programme’ of some description? Surely it can’t behave like a gig where you have to try and guess the stage times?

1 hour ago, amfy said:

I have got my tickets. 

I’m wondering as it’s billed as a ‘festival’ whether there will be a ‘programme’ of some description? Surely it can’t behave like a gig where you have to try and guess the stage times?

I'll give it a couple of days before chasing...they said on FB earlier they should all be sent out this week.

Yeah...hopefully they'll do lanyards or put the timings out beforehand rather than have a bit of paper with the times on stuck on the door of each room. 

Looks like Black Grape have dropped off the bill now as not on the Shiiine On website anymore. Them and Deja Vega were two of the bands I was most looking forward to.

FFS. At this rate we'll get there on Saturday and the entire line-up will consist of Rick Witter hitting the drummer from Cast on the head with a spoon.

Sunflower Lounge has a pre-Shiiine On DJ set between 1-3.30 on Saturday with Bud Cans at £2.50 if you show your Shiiine On ticket.

Whilst I'd rather drink warm dog wee straight from the source than Bud think we might start there to get us in the mood if anybody fancies a meet up. I'll be in either a 'Slow Readers Club', 'Stone Roses' and 'Super Furries' t-shirt...whichever one the fluids associated with a 3 year old are least visible on.

4 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

Sunflower Lounge has a pre-Shiiine On DJ set between 1-3.30 on Saturday with Bud Cans at £2.50 if you show your Shiiine On ticket.

Whilst I'd rather drink warm dog wee straight from the source than Bud think we might start there to get us in the mood if anybody fancies a meet up. I'll be in either a 'Slow Readers Club', 'Stone Roses' and 'Super Furries' t-shirt...whichever one the fluids associated with a 3 year old are least visible on.

On a Stone Roses t-shirt it would just look like part of the design.

I was going but some other issues (busy life, toddler to deal with etc) mean I can’t make it. 

I was disappointed at the venue change as I had a (fortunately refundable) hotel booked at the NEC, which I would have gone to. 

I’ve got some mates going so if anyone wants a last minute ticket I’d take 35 quid, they can meet at venue. PM me if interested and I can sort out details.