The Glastonbury 2019 fancy dress threads

Crazyfool01

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

thats decent going... but a large investment in time involved ... mine take ages to put together and for me Its the sewing with fishing wire as I take the wire off and wash them after each Glastonbury ... do you just sell from your blog then ? or have an online shop ? maybe I need to streamline my process somehow :) 

for washing you can buy rings and feed EL wire through them once their sewn in.  I tented to attack mine with a sponge and water to get the worst off.

I don't make or sew them anymore as I got bored with them.  I now make non light up costumes for myself but not blogging now.  Also I just got a gas welder to mess about with instead.

@ian the worm

I don't know much about the controller units - is it an off the shelf part you've adapted? Is the programming to get the chasing relatively simple to work? I also have an idea for a rainbow chasing outfit to look like a jelly fish but been put off by the thoughts of arduino controllers to get the rainbow chasing. 

3 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

Yeah it's a pretty laborious process isn't it. When I add up the hours I spend making it I'm not sure it's worth it. If you get a bit quicker then its probably pretty good. 

I used to spend HOURS on mine  I'm a perfectionist.  If you devided the 800 quid profit by my hours it would be too low to be honest.  But the money I made all went on nice things that I wanted for myself.

Just now, semmtexx said:

@ian the worm

I don't know much about the controller units - is it an off the shelf part you've adapted? Is the programming to get the chasing relatively simple to work? I also have an idea for a rainbow chasing outfit to look like a jelly fish but been put off by the thoughts of arduino controllers to get the rainbow chasing. 

Just premade and preset stuff from eBay.  You can select over 200 patterns and also the speed.  By playing around with the LED lengths you can easily make a nice set of patterns.  

The first festival i took this too i found a setting that made me feel like a jelly fish.

2 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

for washing you can buy rings and feed EL wire through them once their sewn in.  I tented to attack mine with a sponge and water to get the worst off.

I don't make or sew them anymore as I got bored with them.  I now make non light up costumes for myself but not blogging now.  Also I just got a gas welder to mess about with instead.

Rings! That's a good idea! ?:good:

1 minute ago, ian the worm said:

Just premade and preset stuff from eBay.  You can select over 200 patterns and also the speed.  By playing around with the LED lengths you can easily make a nice set of patterns.  

The first festival i took this too i found a setting that made me feel like a jelly fish.

Awesome. Thanks! ?

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

The rings seem like a thought ... but its the individual threading of a needle and tying off I find a pain mostly whilst im sewing a long length of wire its fine :)

True. I quite like the idea of a glue gun but think it needs to be an internal fix as it can look a bit messy on the outside. 

Edited by semmtexx

couple of dilemmas ... im trying to recreate the Glastonbury Sign lettering to go either at the front of the hat stood up ... or around it but cant find anything suitable online at present ... any ideas anyone ? and im also trying to work out some kind of basket to go on the top of the ribbon tower but cant see anything either ? the tower is made from a 2 litre fizzy drinks bottle for a size concept .

For the top you could use a Caxixi which is a Brazilian shaker often used with a berimbau.

They are filled with beads or seeds for added sound effect. You could cut the handle off and find one the right kind of shape. 

For the letters you could buy plasticard and cut them out  then quilt with padding and coloured  material swatches.  

You know you can do this as there are still 10 months left.

Picture shows an example Caxixi .....

8D5155EB-3775-485E-8F67-3B8E7BC0C79A.thumb.jpeg.d01d4c9573845d01136b261ace5039da.jpeg

Edited by ian the worm
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

For the top you could use a Caxixi which is a Brazilian shaker often used with a berimbau.

They are filled with beads or seeds for added sound effect. You could cut the handle off and find one the right kind of shape. 

For the letters you could buy plasticard and cut them out  then quilt with padding and coloured  material swatches.  

You know you can do this as there are still 10 months left.

Picture shows an example Caxixi .....

8D5155EB-3775-485E-8F67-3B8E7BC0C79A.thumb.jpeg.d01d4c9573845d01136b261ace5039da.jpeg

Thanks @ian the worm some really useful suggestions there :) 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Wickedfaerie said:

VERY impressed with the effort on this thread! Feeling like my raggedy pirate or glittery fairy outfits are not going to be up to par next year. Will do better. Just need to think of something!

Thanks ... everything is up to par if it makes one person smile :) ive just been fortunate /unfortunate to have quite a bit of free time this summer 

• 3 weeks later...