The Glastonbury 2019 fancy dress threads

Crazyfool01

1 minute ago, semmtexx said:

Nice! Was thinking about LED strips for next year instead of EL wire. But waiting till ticket day! 

ive been testing some led strips but they dont seem to be very reliable in terms of bending and breaking ... let me know if you find any that are man enough for the job ... oh and cheers ... my flat is lit up like a nightclub :) ... next thing is to add some lights to the ribbon tower 

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

ive been testing some led strips but they dont seem to be very reliable in terms of bending and breaking ... let me know if you find any that are man enough for the job ... oh and cheers ... my flat is lit up like a nightclub :) ... next thing is to add some lights to the ribbon tower 

I've got these chasing strips off some Xmas decorations, mains powered but come with an adaptor - actually 5v. Made some little power supply using batteries. Might use these. They are encased in plastic tubes. They'd need a bit of rewiring to work on an outfit but nothing tricky. I'll dig out a link for you. 

Always more lights!

Search this: Joinable RGB Meteor Shower Rain Tubes Strip Light 240LED Snowfall Xmas Tree 50cm

Edited by semmtexx

16 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

I've got these chasing strips off some Xmas decorations, mains powered but come with an adaptor - actually 5v. Made some little power supply using batteries. Might use these. They are encased in plastic tubes. They'd need a bit of rewiring to work on an outfit but nothing tricky. I'll dig out a link for you. 

Always more lights!

Search this: Joinable RGB Meteor Shower Rain Tubes Strip Light 240LED Snowfall Xmas Tree 50cm

ive got similar already and find the plastic outer weakens and becomes brittle with a bit of use ... its just weather it can survive the festival ? quite a few months ahead though .... i think el wire would be better as bones as it provides an outline rather than just brightness ... but maybe a mix ?

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

It may well be lit up like a night club, but I put it to you that you live within the old set of Blockbusters! :)

9 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Think poor Bob has passed on now but the urban myth that he played the sax bit on Baker Street lives on.....

Yeah, I only heard recently that it was a bored muso journalist that created the myth. In fact, I think it was last week that I read it. I've got a copy of the journalists book 'Cider with Roadies', but haven't read it. It was given to me for a birthday present 3 years ago. I must say that the number of books I have now got, but are unread, is getting out of hand. I haven't read a book in about 6 years!! I've just been bought another book though, which has every chance of breaking that cycle. I hope so, as reading a book has nearly always given pleasure.

Stuart Maconie is your man.Made it up for an NME column. Is now on radio 6 and still fab and still introducing me to new music (palace winter being the latest.)

For the Jarvis thread - I sat next to stuart maconie watching Jarvis sing the Gerry Anderson song book.

On 8/7/2018 at 8:30 PM, crazyfool1 said:

ive got similar already and find the plastic outer weakens and becomes brittle with a bit of use ... its just weather it can survive the festival ? quite a few months ahead though .... i think el wire would be better as bones as it provides an outline rather than just brightness ... but maybe a mix ?

Maybe two outfits! Or more! I think the tubing should hold up for the festival, so long as you're reasonably careful. With my EL wire jacket I walked around quite stiffly as the wire doesn't like repeated bending - was worried it would break at elbows/shoulder. I'm crap at dancing anyway so no-one could tell the difference! On the side of the EL wire it just looks great - real magical quality to it. So yes, the bones might well look good. 

18 hours ago, ian the worm said:

I was commissioned to make these 4 years ago,  Each had 5 flashing sections plus a matching mask.

4C2DB61D-E670-49D1-A428-598D4E41C698.thumb.jpeg.a2fcb2c222c11413c9bf68404d682d28.jpeg

Very nice. Lot of work in that. If you don't mind me asking - how did you attach the EL wire to the material? I spent yonks oversewing it with fishing line. Was a right PITA. 

6 hours ago, semmtexx said:

Very nice. Lot of work in that. If you don't mind me asking - how did you attach the EL wire to the material? I spent yonks oversewing it with fishing line. Was a right PITA. 

I made these costumes for around 5 years and if you want a good job then seeing with cotton is fine. 

These were attached with hot glue gun. 

On 8/7/2018 at 8:00 PM, semmtexx said:

Nice! Was thinking about LED strips for next year instead of EL wire. But waiting till ticket day! 

Here is my most complicated LED white suit that i made 2 years ago.  This year i took 5 light up costumes as a) they break, b) there are 5 nights, c) I have crew car pass so can easily take too much stuff.  Video contained in my blog........... apologies to Elvis........

http://theflashingfrog.blogspot.com/2016/04/white-chasing-led-suit.html

image.png.17cdb9d39473874f26668bfa585f532d.png

Edited by ian the worm
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

Here is my most complicated LED white suit that i made 2 years ago.  This year i took 5 light up costumes as a) they break, b) there are 5 nights, c) I have crew car pass so can easily take too much stuff.  Video contained in my blog........... apologies to Elvis........

image.png.17cdb9d39473874f26668bfa585f532d.png

I like the person  who in the comments asked you to create one in a week .... wtf !! :) 

5 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

Fair play I thought. There are plenty of people with money that will pay for commissions. The skeleton jobs earned me around £800 profit. 

thats decent going... but a large investment in time involved ... mine take ages to put together and for me Its the sewing with fishing wire as I take the wire off and wash them after each Glastonbury ... do you just sell from your blog then ? or have an online shop ? maybe I need to streamline my process somehow :) 

Every year I've worn my outfits I've had people coming up and offering cash. One bloke offered silly money, slightly regret saying no on the cash basis but he was such a twat about it that there was no way he was going to get to wear MY outfit! 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

thats decent going... but a large investment in time involved ... mine take ages to put together and for me Its the sewing with fishing wire as I take the wire off and wash them after each Glastonbury ... do you just sell from your blog then ? or have an online shop ? maybe I need to streamline my process somehow :) 

Yeah it's a pretty laborious process isn't it. When I add up the hours I spend making it I'm not sure it's worth it. If you get a bit quicker then its probably pretty good. 

1 hour ago, ian the worm said:

Really nice work! I've wondered about using a boiler suit and shining the lights thru. Might look into that!