Getting there late

robith

Hi All,

I'm weighing up a first visit to the festival but there's a snagging point - I can't go until after work on Friday. My squad will be taking all my stuff, but I won't be on a train from London until 4pm.

Which I discovered today is when the shuttle buses stop, very helpfully. What are my options? Festival site suggests a £45 cab, which would make my festival very uneconomic (as well as being quite environmentally unfriendly!)

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated

I don't think £45 is that much, and I mean how else would you expect to get there that is good for the environment?

There is a bus you can get from Salisbury (assuming that's where you're getting the train to)....it's the number 20 and it's about 40 minutes to a place called Thickthorn Cross which is south of the festival site, then it's about an hour walk up to Larmer Tree Gardens....but surely that's a lot of hassle just to save yourself a bit of money.

Other than that, see if one of your friends can pick you up.

I'm afraid I don't really see that you have many options.

1 minute ago, Sean1234321 said:

I don't think £45 is that much, and I mean how else would you expect to get there that is good for the environment?

There is a bus you can get from Salisbury (assuming that's where you're getting the train to)....it's the number 20 and it's about 40 minutes to a place called Thickthorn Cross which is south of the festival site, then it's about an hour walk up to Larmer Tree Gardens....but surely that's a lot of hassle just to save yourself a bit of money.

Other than that, see if one of your friends can pick you up.

I'm afraid I don't really see that you have many options.

Hi chap, thanks for the thoughts. Was just that getting a car on my own isn't a great environmental habit to have is all! Does sound like a faff though, so that's it. Sadly my pals are all parents off the leash, little chance by 6pm they'll be capable of driving

I’ve been pondering this since you first posted yesterday. I don’t reckon you’ve gut much choice really. Any kind of bus + walk option using public transport would mean you’d get there too late for anything much on the Friday.  I presume some people must come down after work on Friday, but how you hook up with them, no idea. Have you tried the eotr happy campers (although they’re anything but) forum on FB?

1 hour ago, Suggestives said:

There's a liftshare site here https://liftshare.com/uk/community/eotr

If you haven't already got train tickets it might be worth considering that as an alternative if you can find someone leaving London at the right time ... or someone who'd be prepared to swing by Sailsbury station on the way.

Thanks boss man. Will take a look!

16 hours ago, Mardy said:

I’ve been pondering this since you first posted yesterday. I don’t reckon you’ve gut much choice really. Any kind of bus + walk option using public transport would mean you’d get there too late for anything much on the Friday.  I presume some people must come down after work on Friday, but how you hook up with them, no idea. Have you tried the eotr happy campers (although they’re anything but) forum on FB?

Yeah, I've come to terms with it now, especially as I've managed to get a pretty cheap ticket. Generally abhor facebook groups, but will take a look, for no other reason than it feels so decadent!

And look at us both, on the auld efests again! Hope you're well sire

34 minutes ago, robith said:

Yeah, I've come to terms with it now, especially as I've managed to get a pretty cheap ticket. Generally abhor facebook groups, but will take a look, for no other reason than it feels so decadent!

And look at us both, on the auld efests again! Hope you're well sire

Ah, i’m out of sync between here and twitter. Sorry

here’s the fb group. Worth joining just to ask about a lift on Friday. Don’t think i’ve ever posted on there

https://www.facebook.com/groups/125270931623/

yeah, all good with me. You? Hopefully bump into you for a pint in the beavertown bar

On 8/7/2018 at 5:21 PM, Mardy said:

Happy campers (although they are anything but). 

What do you mean by this comment? 

10 minutes ago, robith said:

So, the RMT on South West Trains appear to be on strike on the Friday of the festival.

I obviously have solidarity with my worker comrades, but, I'm f**ked right?

Seems to be on the Sunday, according to yesterday’s announcement 

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-confirms-new-strike-dates-on-south-western-railway/

In response to robith (first post on this thread), who is perhaps arriving at Salisbury station after the last shuttle bus, taxi may be the only option. However, when my niece arrived late last year and there were no buses, the drivers were trying to fill up the taxis with 3-4 people (depending on the amount of luggage), so you could be splitting the £45-ish cost with at least a couple of others.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jesca - I think you replied to me on facebook as well. Yes, I'm more than happy to share a cab. Quick note is that due the strike there's a different timetable and the trains are now 1609 and 1650

10 hours ago, Jesca4 said:

I am in the same predicament as you. Was planning to try and knock off work a bit early and get an afternoon train on the Friday - possibly with 1 other friend so if we can co-ordinate we may be able to team up to share a taxi?