Vampire Weekend

Mash011

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I duno... Alt-J have more of an electronic element to their music which I think lends itself to an Other headline slot (or at least what the bookers seem to be getting for that slot in recent years). Vampire Weekend don't really seem like an Other headliner to me, and I agree that they'll most likely end up skipping Glastonbury in favour of headlining another smaller festival(s). Fingers crossed though as I'm definitely hoping to catch them on tour at some point.

Yeah get what youre saying.... BUT... Jake Bugg, QotSA etc have all headlined Other stage so its not a given. Lately its more electronic focused though for sure. 

On 8/5/2018 at 5:21 AM, Mash011 said:

They've finally finished their album and they're definitely going to be at Glastonbury next year (Pyramid sub I reckon) so I've decided we're having a Vampire Weekend thread now. Gonna start it off with a clip that shows their reinvented 'jam band' live act in all its glory.

I wish you hadn't started this thread so early. it made me all sort of itchy so I've had to go and buy a ticket to End of the Road. Really looking forward to seeing them now. It will be interesting to see if they play any new stuff, even if it is off Ezra's phone.

Hope to see them again at Glastonbury next year. 

3 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

I wish you hadn't started this thread so early. it made me all sort of itchy so I've had to go and buy a ticket to End of the Road. Really looking forward to seeing them now. It will be interesting to see if they play any new stuff, even if it is off Ezra's phone.

Hope to see them again at Glastonbury next year. 

I think EOTR is their first show back after a hiatus so there is a chance. They have some of it rehearsed at least, as they did play 1 new song as a band.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:35 AM, Havors said:

Yeah get what youre saying.... BUT... Jake Bugg, QotSA etc have all headlined Other stage so its not a given. Lately its more electronic focused though for sure. 

I thought we agreed that Jake Bugg headlining the Other was never, EVER, to be spoken of again?

• 4 weeks later...

They were great at eotr. They could knock it out the fucking park at the big G next year. Subbing main or headlining Other. They got the tunes, and the show and seem to have stepped up a gear. Never a band that's going to change your life, but for 90 mins of grin-inducing, crowd pleasing entertainment, they seem hard to beat.

2 minutes ago, Mardy said:

They were great at eotr. They could knock it out the fucking park at the big G next year. Subbing main or headlining Other. They got the tunes, and the show and seem to have stepped up a gear. Never a band that's going to change your life, but for 90 mins of grin-inducing, crowd pleasing entertainment, they seem hard to beat.

Great to hear this :) I'm well up for it!

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

They aren't going to sub main, 3rd down or sub Other.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

The National subbed last time and if WOD are being mentioned as a serious contender for next year I don't see any reason why Vampire Weekend shouldn't also be considered.

Don't see both WOD and VW getting the gigs though.

How come? They're hardly too similar. Would be very little difference to The xx and The National both subbing in the same year.

Anyway, I think V-Dub are prime for headlining the Other. After being third down the Pyramid already, a sub slot is shit all different. Although, I don't think them and Tame Impala both would headline the Other in one year.

Edited by dentalplan

No surprises that I enjoyed the EOTR set a lot but their transformation as a live act is really something. They always had the tunes to make the shows good but it was a little stiff before and I don't think they ever really had much of a reputation as a live act. But they seem very different now, a massive band sounding better than ever, packed setlist, Ezra relaxed and chatting with the crowd, it was wonderful. Needs new material to seem like more than a run through of the hits but I guess that gives me an excuse to see them again after the album's out.

The closest thing they do have to new material is this wonderful reworked jam version of New Dorp New York which, despite not even being a Vampire Weekend song, was probably the highlight of their set. Great stuff.

EDIT: Okay I guess that's the second time I've posted that video in this thread but it really is very good.

Edited by Mash011