Vampire Weekend

Mash011

6 hours ago, Havors said:

Totally disagree with that personally. I'm struggling with the Arctics album, it feels so contrived. Vampire's 3rd album I just couldn't stop listening to it, every song was quite different and unique. For me the Arctics is just all very samey and it never gets going.. couple of good songs but just not musically very good. 

I do agree there is more to listen to yes but nothing that grabs me, took the differences from Contra and made it too much imo

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I do agree there is more to listen to yes but nothing that grabs me, took the differences from Contra and made it too much imo

Yeah not everyone is going to like it obviously. Some people just don't like Vampire Weekend full stop.. (they have no souls though).. haha! I am very intrigued to see where they go with this new album... more of the same-ish I hope and not something completely different that doesn't sound like Vampire Weekend. 

6 hours ago, Havors said:

Yeah not everyone is going to like it obviously. Some people just don't like Vampire Weekend full stop.. (they have no souls though).. haha! I am very intrigued to see where they go with this new album... more of the same-ish I hope and not something completely different that doesn't sound like Vampire Weekend. 

I was very into the 1st two, Contra was actually one of those indie albums in that time that I thought on 1st listen the band have made a great follow up. The best I saw then was the states.

13 hours ago, Ovechkin said:

Im also of the opinion that the third album is great. Probably my favorite of theirs. 

Can't see the comparison to AM's latest, it just sucks ?

I was so disappointed with Arctic's latest. I though AM was brilliant, bit different from their previous stuff but was still quintessential Arctic Monkeys... great lyrics, some high energy stuff which we like them for and so many really catchy songs/choruses. Then they released this Alex Turner self indulgent contrived "soundtrack" to a shite film that sounds like nondescript lounge music. Only 2 songs of any note on whole album for me. 

Lots of people love it though... then there's the die hards who would like it even if he spat in their face :)

Anyway back to Vampire Weekend.... Im surprised there's been nothing released at all so for not even a teaser of one of the songs :(

Edited by Havors
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Havors said:

I was so disappointed with Arctic's latest. I though AM was brilliant, bit different from their previous stuff but was still quintessential Arctic Monkeys... great lyrics, some high energy stuff which we like them for and so many really catchy songs/choruses. Then they released this Alex Turner self indulgent contrived "soundtrack" to a shite film that sounds like nondescript lounge music. Only 2 songs of any note on whole album for me. 

Lots of people love it though... then there's the die hards who would like it even if he spat in their face :)

Anyway back to Vampire Weekend.... Im surprised there's been nothing released at all so for not even a teaser of one of the songs :(

Can we please stop filling the Vampire Weekend thread with discussion of Arctic Monkeys' excellent new album

Modern Vampires >>>>>> Self Titled > Contra

Modern Vampires is one of my favourite albums of the last decade. I'm also seeing them at End of the Road and I'm hoping it will overwrite the awful memories I have of when they last played the Pyramid in 2013 (?). One of my biggest ever G disappointments.

Been listening to these guys the last couple of days - the albums really hold up in my opinion, all three of them. Forgot how much I love Ya Hey, was obsessed with that when it came out.

Also, I totally forgot that I've seen them three times at Glastonbury, not two! Which I guess speaks volumes about that third appearance... what was bad about it? I thought it was just me as I was absolutely shattered the Sunday of 2013, hanging by a thread by that point, and watching from halfway back up the field. Just bad positioning or was the band off? (I remember watching them thinking I was in danger of falling asleep and a little pick-me-up was required before the best set of the weekend directly after them!) 

The other two times, though... I feel well nostalgic just thinking about it! 

2008 was my first Glastonbury and they were the first band I watched on a proper big stage on the Friday, I didn't know them before. And I remember it had been raining the night before, but the sun just started coming out and I was dancing with my friends and I was still so overwhelmed and excited and blown away by everything. A very happy moment.

2010 was similarly glorious. That weather, the whole vibe that year, everything was fucking great. 

So yeah for me they are strongly associated with Glastonbury and I'd love to see them there... got to be a high chance? Where would people put them? Park headline?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Been listening to these guys the last couple of days - the albums really hold up in my opinion, all three of them. Forgot how much I love Ya Hey, was obsessed with that when it came out.

Also, I totally forgot that I've seen them three times at Glastonbury, not two! Which I guess speaks volumes about that third appearance... what was bad about it? I thought it was just me as I was absolutely shattered the Sunday of 2013, hanging by a thread by that point, and watching from halfway back up the field. Just bad positioning or was the band off? (I remember watching them thinking I was in danger of falling asleep and a little pick-me-up was required before the best set of the weekend directly after them!) 

The other two times, though... I feel well nostalgic just thinking about it! 

2008 was my first Glastonbury and they were the first band I watched on a proper big stage on the Friday, I didn't know them before. And I remember it had been raining the night before, but the sun just started coming out and I was dancing with my friends and I was still so overwhelmed and excited and blown away by everything. A very happy moment.

2010 was similarly glorious. That weather, the whole vibe that year, everything was fucking great. 

So yeah for me they are strongly associated with Glastonbury and I'd love to see them there... got to be a high chance? Where would people put them? Park headline?

Nah the park would be obscenely rammed. Their last slot was 3rd Pyramid so I reckon they're a lock in for a pyramid sub if they play, following up on an EOTR headline slot much like Tame in 2016. Word is there's some very radio friendly pop tunes on the new one so I reckon they'll be bigger than ever - again could see it being a Currents situation. 

8 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Nah the park would be obscenely rammed. Their last slot was 3rd Pyramid so I reckon they're a lock in for a pyramid sub if they play, following up on an EOTR headline slot much like Tame in 2016. Word is there's some very radio friendly pop tunes on the new one so I reckon they'll be bigger than ever - again could see it being a Currents situation. 

Think a sub Other stage would be a possibility? If this album comes out soon and drops some popular songs I could see them sub on Pyramid also. 

Definitely one of my most anticipated albums of this year but I'm unsure of them returning bigger than ever. Maybe I'm underestimating just how popular they were/are but I think the five year gap between albums may have stalled them a little. Pyramid sub may be ambitious (although excellent if it did happen), but back doing third down would do me just fine.

3 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Vampire have already headlined Latitude and played arenas and stuff though - they’re a very big headliner for End of the Road. There’s not really much of a comparison to Tame, if anyone is similar in that regard it’ll be War.

7 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think everything was just flat. I don't know if I've ever been in a more disinterested crowd and no matter where I stood, I seemed to get stuck near a group of people having a conversation by screeching at each other. Think I left early in a strop in the end and caught the end of The Staves and then Evan Dando. 

But they were awesome in the JP in '08 and on the Pyramid in 2010 so I live in hope that 2013 was just an anomaly!

1 hour ago, Andeeroo said:

I think everything was just flat. I don't know if I've ever been in a more disinterested crowd and no matter where I stood, I seemed to get stuck near a group of people having a conversation by screeching at each other. Think I left early in a strop in the end and caught the end of The Staves and then Evan Dando. 

But they were awesome in the JP in '08 and on the Pyramid in 2010 so I live in hope that 2013 was just an anomaly!

Good to know! Although weren't they on Other in 2008? About midday?

10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Vampire have already headlined Latitude and played arenas and stuff though - they’re a very big headliner for End of the Road. There’s not really much of a comparison to Tame, if anyone is similar in that regard it’ll be War.

Ya but like with Tame I think they're about to return with a proper pop album which will put them back on the map in a big way. Also similar circumstances in that EOTR is their only show of the first year which will keep demand high. Another difference between them and TWOD is that Tame and Vampire Weekend are actually good. 

Also I don't know how much this influences things but as I understand it they've just started a big new record deal with Sony so I reckon they'll be pushed very hard next year including big slots at Coachella, Glastonbury etc. 

1 hour ago, Mash011 said:

Ya but like with Tame I think they're about to return with a proper pop album which will put them back on the map in a big way. Also similar circumstances in that EOTR is their only show of the first year which will keep demand high.. 

You need a deeper understanding of your facts; Impala played Bestival as well as EOTR. Also Currents isn’t really a ‘proper pop’ album, at least not compared to the Ronson produced mess that the next one will be.

I think Other Stage headline would be best at this point after having already done the Pyramid on their last two albums. Reckon they’ll just do APE though tbh.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

You need a deeper understanding of your facts; Impala played Bestival as well as EOTR. Also Currents isn’t really a ‘proper pop’ album, at least not compared to the Ronson produced mess that the next one will be.

I think Other Stage headline would be best at this point after having already done the Pyramid on their last two albums. Reckon they’ll just do APE though tbh.

Other headline is a real possibility when you look at how Alt-J made that jump last year... Of a similar standing to Alt-J i would say. 

Just now, Havors said:

Other headline is a real possibility when you look at how Alt-J made that jump last year... Of a similar standing to Alt-J i would say. 

I duno... Alt-J have more of an electronic element to their music which I think lends itself to an Other headline slot (or at least what the bookers seem to be getting for that slot in recent years). Vampire Weekend don't really seem like an Other headliner to me, and I agree that they'll most likely end up skipping Glastonbury in favour of headlining another smaller festival(s). Fingers crossed though as I'm definitely hoping to catch them on tour at some point.

Hopefully they don't tour arenas this time round, reckon they will though. I worked the last one and binned off cleaning the stall properly to see them, it was half empty (besides standing I guess). They were great, they'd do so much better in the apollo though.