Any reviews of the Great Plains camp site?

Zap48uk

Hi All,

I've been going to Kendal for about 6 years and this year made the mistake of booking a pre-erected tent.

Getting there and the tent being up already was great, but it took literally an hour to get from the main car park to there with the worlds supply of camping equipment in the 30 degree heat!! ?

So this year, I'm hoping to camp A LOT closer to where I'm parked. We've stayed at Emporers fields before which is definitely better, but Great Plains marketing bumf indicates it is even closer to the camp site.

So two questions please:

- From experience, which camping area is closest to parking (assisted areas and live in vehicles etc. aside)

- Did anyone stay in the Great Plains this year and what was the area/atmosphere/noise levels/other campers like 

Thanks all :)

Matt

Hi

We (family of 4 with 2 kids age 13 and 9) stayed in there this year.  We have previously stayed in the family camping so can't compare to Emperors Fields.  It was worth the extra money just for the look on the faces of the kids when they realised how short the walk was from the car to the tent which was about 5 mins.  No queue to get in when we arrived around 2pm on the Thursday

Campsite was spacious but on a bit of a slope, there wasn't the usual friday fill up of all available space.  Facilities were probably a bit light, big queues for showers, toilets and food at peak times but probably as I expected.  Second catering van and extra 5-10 toilets and showers would have been enough

Walk to the arena was only about 10-15 minutes - just enough time for a cheeky can on the way

I think noise levels varied from area to area.  It was noisy on the Thu night but only from 2 groups till about 4am.  I'm a heavy sleeper so wasn't bothered by it.  I think the rain on later days stopped it.

Overall it was well worth the money and I've already booked up tickets for next year for it if we decide to go again next year

• Like 1