Bilbao BBK Live 2019

gregory

14 hours ago, xxialac said:

How serious are the bag checks? Is it easy to sneak in food or booze?

Last year it was luck of the draw. For the first night I didn't think to take anything in cos thought searches might be too intrusive. Second day I walked straight in with a big bottle of rum and coke in my shorts as I'd not been patted down the night before. Third day I tried the rum and coke down my shorts again but got patted down whilst some of my mates just walked right in. Booze is so cheap from the shops that it's not a massive gamble so I'll probably try to sneak some in again this time. Beer prices at the bars are unfortunately even worse than they are at UK festivals (maybe they're about the same but the pound being weak is to blame, in defence of BBK).

On 7/1/2019 at 3:16 PM, xxialac said:

Any tips specifically for avoiding queues? Not a fan.

I'll be aiming to get the bus and into the campsite as early as possible. We walked straight in to the campsite last time and didn't have to wait more than 5 minutes at the glamping bit either, and that was with us being one of the first ones there. 

1 hour ago, Odessa said:

Last year it was luck of the draw. For the first night I didn't think to take anything in cos thought searches might be too intrusive. Second day I walked straight in with a big bottle of rum and coke in my shorts as I'd not been patted down the night before. Third day I tried the rum and coke down my shorts again but got patted down whilst some of my mates just walked right in. Booze is so cheap from the shops that it's not a massive gamble so I'll probably try to sneak some in again this time. Beer prices at the bars are unfortunately even worse than they are at UK festivals (maybe they're about the same but the pound being weak is to blame, in defence of BBK).

I'll be aiming to get the bus and into the campsite as early as possible. We walked straight in to the campsite last time and didn't have to wait more than 5 minutes at the glamping bit either, and that was with us being one of the first ones there. 

Fantastic advice, thank you! 

22 minutes ago, Walsh67 said:

How much is the beer at the bars? I'd read about 4 to 5 Euros, which I think is kinda normal/fine for an event (obviously much more than a pub).

You can get one for about that but it isn't a pint. They have large or small. One is a fair bit less than a pint and one is more if I remember correctly. I can't remember specifics on the sizes or prices though sorry.

5 minutes ago, Odessa said:

You can get one for about that but it isn't a pint. They have large or small. One is a fair bit less than a pint and one is more if I remember correctly. I can't remember specifics on the sizes or prices though sorry.

Anything else worth knowing in advance. How hot was it in the day and at night?

59 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Anything else worth knowing in advance. How hot was it in the day and at night?

Weather last year was perfect. Really hot but not unbearably hot, unless you're planning on going on long walks or something then that might be a bit much. We got a bus back from town one day and for some reason we ended up having to walk up the hill for ages cos the bus didn't take us to the campsite, and that was really grim carrying a load of beers. They're meant to take you to the campsite though and they did every other time so I'm not sure what happened there.

We tended to just chill at camp all day and then go into the festival. By the time the festival properly got going it was still t shirt and shorts weather, and it pretty much was all night as long as you're in a crowd. I think it gets a bit chilly if you stay up and sit still at camp at like 5am so I think that's the only time I actually wore a second layer.

16 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Weather last year was perfect. Really hot but not unbearably hot, unless you're planning on going on long walks or something then that might be a bit much. We got a bus back from town one day and for some reason we ended up having to walk up the hill for ages cos the bus didn't take us to the campsite, and that was really grim carrying a load of beers. They're meant to take you to the campsite though and they did every other time so I'm not sure what happened there.

We tended to just chill at camp all day and then go into the festival. By the time the festival properly got going it was still t shirt and shorts weather, and it pretty much was all night as long as you're in a crowd. I think it gets a bit chilly if you stay up and sit still at camp at like 5am so I think that's the only time I actually wore a second layer.

Nice, thank you.

42 minutes ago, xxialac said:

So when you arrive you go to the south side of San Mames stadium, pick up your wristband by showing your ticket and then catch a free bus (from the same location?) up to the camping? This right?

Sorry for all the qs...

Yeah head to the stadium and there's a massive tent up which you can't miss. Within view of the club shop. Here you sort out yr wristband and also get the opportunity to top it up with money to spend inside the festival. 

The bus stop is 2 minutes round the corner, and the buses are free to use to come and go as much as you like over the time you're at the festival.

9 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Yeah head to the stadium and there's a massive tent up which you can't miss. Within view of the club shop. Here you sort out yr wristband and also get the opportunity to top it up with money to spend inside the festival. 

The bus stop is 2 minutes round the corner, and the buses are free to use to come and go as much as you like over the time you're at the festival.

Heroic effort, thank you.

On 7/3/2019 at 2:17 PM, Odessa said:

Yeah, I'd be sure it's probably in litres / half litres. Ah well, just see when we get there. Take a chance on smuggling in some cheap booze too as nothing lost really.

9 minutes ago, Walsh67 said:

Yeah, I'd be sure it's probably in litres / half litres. Ah well, just see when we get there. Take a chance on smuggling in some cheap booze too as nothing lost really.

I have a small cup at home from last year cos they're quite nice, I've just checked and it's 400ml. I can't remember if they actually filled them up though.

FFS currently they are giving people free glamping for those who buy a normal camping ticket. So glad I forked out for both now. Also a bit concerned about the bus situation. Going from town to the site via the camping sounds like wait-bus-wait-wait-bus-wait bu with more time waiting than on the bus. Lots of people from last year complaining about some of the waits being really long.

Anyone who's been before know about good places to eat in town? What are the best pintxo restaurants?

3 hours ago, xxialac said:

FFS currently they are giving people free glamping for those who buy a normal camping ticket. So glad I forked out for both now. Also a bit concerned about the bus situation. Going from town to the site via the camping sounds like wait-bus-wait-wait-bus-wait bu with more time waiting than on the bus. Lots of people from last year complaining about some of the waits being really long.

Anyone who's been before know about good places to eat in town? What are the best pintxo restaurants?

What’s FFS?

In 2017 the busses were fine, hopefully the same this year. I imagine attendance will be low ;) hopefully that doesn’t mean busses will be low too. 

1 hour ago, gregory said:

What’s FFS?

In 2017 the busses were fine, hopefully the same this year. I imagine attendance will be low ;) hopefully that doesn’t mean busses will be low too. 

One of the Fs is a bit sweary :)

I would love it not to be too crowded but it seems it never is uncomfortably so. I just don't want to be stuck in the campsite unable to get to the main site (I'm tempted to walk as it appears only 25 mins away on foot)!

26 minutes ago, xxialac said:

One of the Fs is a bit sweary :)

I would love it not to be too crowded but it seems it never is uncomfortably so. I just don't want to be stuck in the campsite unable to get to the main site (I'm tempted to walk as it appears only 25 mins away on foot)!

As long as you head down a few hours before her headliner I don’t think you’ll have to wait more than a few mins. Take a can for the wait / bus ride ;) not allowed to walk sadly. 

3 hours ago, DDave said:

For fucks sake. 

Yes I know.

I misread it on my phone as “FFS currently are giving people free glamping for those who buy a normal camping ticket” and thought maybe FFS was a Spanish website or something lol. 

• Upvote 1

Had a brilliant weekend here again.

First of all, I tried my best to help some of you by answering questions, but apologies to anyone who actually took my advice hahaha. I dunno why I thought it doesn't go cold at night, if it's any consolation I nearly froze to death on Weds/Thurs night sleeping under a towel before I got a blanket sorted on Friday. And the searches going into the arena were far more prevalent this year so I didn't bother trying to take drink in. Didn't need to tbf as I was so pissed by that point that I only wanted the odd beer every now and then inside so I didn't spend too much money.

Anyway I'm sat in the airport with nothing better to do so will do a rundown of what I saw.

First thing I saw on Thursday was Sleaford Mods. I've tried with them on record and really couldn't be arsed but my mate had told me they're cracking live and that I needed to see them. They were a laugh tbf, really energetic and entertaining. 7/10.

Then saw Liam Gallagher. Thought he did a little bit too much solo material. His brand new stuff is utter garbage and makes the As You Were songs actually seem quite good. Had a fun time singing along to the Oasis tunes as always when seeing Liam or Noel at a festival. I've seen LG off my face at Parklife in Manchester so this was never gonna match that, and Noel here last year was better too, but it was a good time. 7.5/10.

Thom Yorke was a letdown, I can't lie. Just not really the vibe I wanted (or many other people wanted as there was virtually nobody left by the time he finished). I love Radiohead but not massively familiar with his solo stuff. I did have a listen to a bit of it last week and it sounds alright but it's not what I was after at about midnight at a festival. 4/10.

I went to the wrong stage for The Voidz. The only band I really wanted to see all day and I fucked it. Virtue was my favourite album of last year. I wasn't even massively drunk so dunno how I managed it. Ended up legging it round the festival looking for them but once I'd missed 15 mins of it I just decided to sack it off and go to bed. Could hear them from the bus stop. Gutting.

First act I saw on Friday was Brockhampton. Incredible energy and a really fun show. Not an act I often listen to at home but would definitely see them live again. 8/10.

I'd been waiting to see Idles for a while. Had tickets to see them in April but Hot Chip ended up announcing a gig on the same night so went that instead. Thought they were very good but they're not quite as mindblowing live as a lot of people will have you believe, in my opinion anyway. Had a great time going mad near the back around a load of Spanish people who were probably a bit confused. 8/10.

Saw Rosalia next. Thought she was a bit shite. Amazing voice but most her songs are boring as fuck. At least she did the James Blake one. 3/10.

Saw most of Suede but missed the last 2 or 3 songs to get a good place for The Strokes. Really good stuff. Brett Anderson is a sensational performer. I wanna see these again so a return to Glastonbury for them next year would be cool. 8/10.

Saw The Strokes at APE and got a bit too hammered and forgot most of it. I knew I had this to fall back on though and was very careful to make sure I remember it this time haha. Absolutely incredible stuff. Sound was perfect. One of those rare gigs where the first note of every single song got me super hyped up. Really couldn't have been any better and it's one of my favourite sets ever. 10/10.

First act we saw on Saturday was Boy Azooga. I spoke to at least 20 people over the weekend who had never heard of them but went to see them after I'd promised them they'd be good. Told them all to come find me down the front by looking out for my Wales flag and loadsa people did haha. It was great. I was the only one bouncing about for most of it and the singer even pointed me out and said "I see you in The Cribs t shirt and Wales flag". Cool moment for me. Really fun time. 8.5/10.

Weezer was up and down. Bit bizarre with all the 80s covers, but they were all a laugh after about a minute in and I'd accepted I wasn't too cool to sing along to the likes of Toto. Really enjoyed hearing the likes of Buddy Holly and Pork N Beans. 7/10.

Vince Staples was great. Was surprised it wasn't more packed down the front though, you could just walk straight up to the barrier throughout really. The bass was mental though. Could barely hear him at times cos of it, reminded me of when I saw Kanye at Glasto in that sense. 8/10.

Hot Chip were beyond amazing. My third time seeing them this year, and the same setlist but with Look At Where We Are thrown in. Didn't matter though as they have this set super nailed down atm. This lived up to the Glastonbury West Holts set in 2015, which I didn't think would ever be possible. This fella we met put me on his shoulders without any warning for Melody Of Love which was a great moment as well. What a perfect act to see at 2am. 10/10.

I didn't watch Cut Copy properly as the tent was packed and I needed a sit down, but I listened from outside. I'm not qualified to give it a rating but it sounded very decent so hopefully I catch them somewhere else.

Anyway, yeah. My second year here and I can see myself coming back loads more times. Both years I've come in a group of 3 and by the end we've had a massive group of mates in the campsite. If you were in the glamping you woulda prob seen us under that gazebo playing music all day haha. Mad Cool and that have cracking lineups as well but nothing compares to a camping festival. 

Edited by Odessa
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1