Bilbao BBK Live 2019

gregory

I put this quick prediction together the other week for the biggest acts on each day for next year, so we'll see if I get anything right. Weezer were already announced when I did it. Let's hope I'm wrong about Catfish.

In hindsight, Arctics and The Cure is too strong, but I think one or the other is reasonable. Middle day has coheadliners, it's not an either/or.

Thoughts?

bilbao2019.png

8 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I put this quick prediction together the other week for the biggest acts on each day for next year, so we'll see if I get anything right. Weezer were already announced when I did it. Let's hope I'm wrong about Catfish.

In hindsight, Arctics and The Cure is too strong, but I think one or the other is reasonable. Middle day has coheadliners, it's not an either/or.

Thoughts?

bilbao2019.png

I don't think many Spanish festivals will be looking at booking Massive Attack anytime soon tbh. Prodigy & Kasabian would be a good double header.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

1 hour ago, DiscothequeDave said:

I don't think many Spanish festivals will be looking at booking Massive Attack anytime soon tbh. Prodigy & Kasabian would be a good double header.

Yeah that's true actually. I don't care about Massive Attack so happy to be wrong there. Prodigy and Kasabian on the same night would be pretty big and a guaranteed fun night, I'd welcome that. 

32 minutes ago, gregory said:

I guess Muse will go to Mad Cool. 

I reckon BBK will be something like Tame Impala, Vampire Weekend & something older & rock like The Cure/Radiohead/Pixies, with Weezer, Foals and something dancy under them. We'll see. 

I'd be booking my ticket right now if it was that.

On 8/4/2018 at 10:51 AM, gregory said:

I reckon BBK will be something like Tame Impala, Vampire Weekend & something older & rock like The Cure/Radiohead/Pixies, with Weezer, Foals and something dancy under them. We'll see. 

Agreed on Muse. Do you not think Tame Impala and Vampire Weekend as outright headliners would be super weak compared to Florence + The Machine and Gorillaz?

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:51 AM, gregory said:

Can't see Tame Impala back as outright headliner or co-headliner that soon, given they were there in 2016.  Same with Foals and Pixies.

If The Cure or Radiohead are touring I could definitely see one of those being booked again since they've been absent from BBK since 2012.  Would also love to see The National at the top of the bill if they've not wrapped up touring the latest album by then.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't bet on Prodigy to headline next years edition. They've been in Spain at least 8 times in the last 4-5 years and actually they did headline BBK's little brother (BIME, same company) a year ago. 

Kasabian is another name I can't see in Bilbao (at least not in a headlining spot) as they've been in Mad Cool (third act in that day) and in another smaller fest (headlining) in Spain this past summer.

As I've been told they will try to book a rap act as a headliner and maybe Arctic Monkeys appear as an strong option too. 

Something like this is pretty probable (and strong) for me: 

Arctic Monkeys - Kendrick Lamar - Weezer/The National 

Interpol - Tyler, The Creator - big electronic act 

And then some names we've seen this summer + surprises like Kali Uchis or so.

Edited by YunT

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Booked return flights for the festival last year at the end of November for just under £50. £120 atm for equivalent dates this time around, even though I'm a month and a half earlier looking at it. Anyone know how likely flight prices are to go down? Or have easyjet caught on that the route will be in demand during that week? I mean it's still probably ultimately worth it but that's a huge jump.

edit: I guess it could also be because of Brexit.

Edited by Odessa

Really like the look of this festival so I’m hoping the line up will sway me over the several others the same weekend...

Gorillaz and The XX were announced 26/10 last year so hopefully won’t be waiting too long for an announcement. Has anyone been before and if so can you tell me what Bilbaos like in general during the day, and how easy is it getting to the festival please? 

24 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

Really like the look of this festival so I’m hoping the line up will sway me over the several others the same weekend...

Gorillaz and The XX were announced 26/10 last year so hopefully won’t be waiting too long for an announcement. Has anyone been before and if so can you tell me what Bilbaos like in general during the day, and how easy is it getting to the festival please? 

The city is really chilled, a lot of local places, virtually no chains like you can't get away from in cities in this country. Dunno if that's the norm or not for Spain; I'm not very well travelled lol. Nice place, I thought. 

There is a bus that takes you from by Athletic Bilbao's stadium up to the camping area of the festival, and this is free to use as many times as you like, or at least it was this year. Big queues for this during the festival though though unless you go into town and come back earlier than everyone else, which my mate did one morning.

I would recommend doing the glamping rather than looking for somewhere to stay, or taking yr own tent. Assuming it's the same price, it was about 90 euros for a tent waiting for you when you got there, and it was more than big enough for 2 of us, you could probably get away with 3. Saves pissing about lugging yr tent on a plane and this would probably cost the same anyway once you pay to transport it. It was never so hot that camping was uncomfortable, just really nice weather without being super super hot.

Edited by Odessa
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Odessa said:

The city is really chilled, a lot of local places, virtually no chains like you can't get away from in cities in this country. Dunno if that's the norm or not for Spain; I'm not very well travelled lol. Nice place, I thought. 

There is a bus that takes you from by Athletic Bilbao's stadium up to the camping area of the festival, and this is free to use as many times as you like, or at least it was this year. Big queues for this during the festival though though unless you go into town and come back earlier than everyone else, which my mate did one morning.

I would recommend doing the glamping rather than looking for somewhere to stay, or taking yr own tent. Assuming it's the same price, it was about 90 euros for a tent waiting for you when you got there, and it was more than big enough for 2 of us, you could probably get away with 3. Saves pissing about lugging yr tent on a plane and this would probably cost the same anyway once you pay to transport it. It was never so hot that camping was uncomfortable, just really nice weather without being super super hot.

Thanks for all the info! yeah I don’t think taking tents would be something I’d ever do in Spain, got caught in 30 degree heat at rock werchter last year that I’d like to avoid again! The glamping might be an option though I’ll look into that, I would assume an apartment/hotel in Bilbao itself means either queueing for that bus or getting taxis to/from the festival each night? 

Looking at the dates for everything I think it may be this or NOS Alive, I’d like to do a different one each year so perhaps it will go down to line ups.

24 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

Thanks for all the info! yeah I don’t think taking tents would be something I’d ever do in Spain, got caught in 30 degree heat at rock werchter last year that I’d like to avoid again! The glamping might be an option though I’ll look into that, I would assume an apartment/hotel in Bilbao itself means either queueing for that bus or getting taxis to/from the festival each night? 

Looking at the dates for everything I think it may be this or NOS Alive, I’d like to do a different one each year so perhaps it will go down to line ups.

Yeah it'll be a ballache staying in town tbh, that's the last thing I'd have wanted to do at like 4am, wait around for a bus or fork out for a taxi. Very expensive too for a room. I've got an apartment booked (that I can cancel for free) for the night before the camping opens in case I go back next year, and it costs twice as much to rent it for the nights of the festival than what I paid. And I booked that about a month ago so waaayyy in advance. We looked into staying in town around February this year and it was beyond unaffordable, you'd have to commit to it like now and even then it won't be cheap. 

Yeah NOS Alive would be sick, I've looked into that one too. I'm quite flexible on dates for a European festival next summer as long as it isn't Glastonbury week, so got my eye on a few as I really wanna make it to one. Best Kept Secret looks cool and it costs fuck all to get to the Nederlands and back.

2 hours ago, Odessa said:

Yeah it'll be a ballache staying in town tbh, that's the last thing I'd have wanted to do at like 4am, wait around for a bus or fork out for a taxi. Very expensive too for a room. I've got an apartment booked (that I can cancel for free) for the night before the camping opens in case I go back next year, and it costs twice as much to rent it for the nights of the festival than what I paid. And I booked that about a month ago so waaayyy in advance. We looked into staying in town around February this year and it was beyond unaffordable, you'd have to commit to it like now and even then it won't be cheap. 

Yeah NOS Alive would be sick, I've looked into that one too. I'm quite flexible on dates for a European festival next summer as long as it isn't Glastonbury week, so got my eye on a few as I really wanna make it to one. Best Kept Secret looks cool and it costs fuck all to get to the Nederlands and back.

Great, thanks! We’ve been stung a couple of times where you get to a European city and are forking out for taxis or it’s taking an hour or two to get to the hotel, so I’ll avoid that! 

Yeah there’s a few on my radar, got Glasto tickets too so unfortunately have to miss out on rock werchter but this, Nos, Primavera and a couple of others have caught my eye.