James

Baby On A Stick

Heard a lot of negativity around James. See them back in the late 90s and then at Solfest circa 2011. Then for the last 4 years or so. What I've learnt from the recent gigs is that they don't really do 'a greatest hits set' (their words last year in Liverpool). I seen them do far less well known stuff in a gig so to get two from Laid, Come Home plus Sit Down was a bonus. I like the new album so I may be biased.

I said to my mates that even when they do songs you don't know, they're a great band musically and the stuff you don't know is worth a bop. But that's just me I guess. Still think a strange sub headliner....

32 minutes ago, LOCHLAND5 said:

James were absolutely dog shit !

self indulgent springs to mind ! 

They were booked for a festival set not sell there new album! 

Look at shed 7 and OCS they defo played the hits and got a far better reaction.

Bizarre setlist from them when you consider the reaction they got when they played sit down, I realise they want to move away from being a greatest hits band and want to be ‘relevant’ but come on without the hits you are nothing.

OCS were fantastic, really good live band, seem to like playing the hits, even the ones they claim not to like.

16 hours ago, Smeble said:

Bizarre setlist from them when you consider the reaction they got when they played sit down, I realise they want to move away from being a greatest hits band and want to be ‘relevant’ but come on without the hits you are nothing.

OCS were fantastic, really good live band, seem to like playing the hits, even the ones they claim not to like.

OCS are usually the complete opposite- they managed to make me happy being a medium term fan (2004 onwards) with that setlist when normally I feel it's same old same old. they trotted out the same setlist pretty much for years in the same order

But this was much more refreshing- different order helps, and hearing July and it's a beautiful thing for the first time ever, alongside drive away and up on the downside for the first time in years made it even better for me. Plus the hits. Great stuff from me

Didn't enjoy James - the "mo salah" song behind me drowning them out during sit down didn't improve my mood....

I like James but they really should reconsider their festival set. A lot of people there will know half a dozen of their songs & they’d walk away muchbhappier if they did all that with a good mixture of their other stuff. 

I often see new stuff at festivals then come home & book tickets to their next gig near mine. Stand alone James gigs are the place to promote their new stuff in my opinion. I think they’ll lose some interest from many if they keep this up. Their fanbase however is really partisan so they’ll always do fine, I just don’t think they do themselves any favours with those on the fence or the other side. 

They are headliner at electric fields later this month! They played an hour set at Kendal and from what I remember cos I was bored they played 3 hits laid , come home and sit down, I’ve always understood the dropping sit down, if they do similar at electric in a 90 min set that means about 5 hits ! I think the fans will be mighty miffed ! 

At a festival with short set times, the hits are what people want.

Ive seen James many times, i appreciate there music, but they got this wrong.

When they tour the gig scene, you know what you are getting and have a choice to go or not.

When Kendal announce who is playing - you have no idea of the set list but expect the big hits.

I was disappointed by them and ive never said that before.

Seen them tonight at Party at the Palace in Linlithgow. It's a small festival and I expected them to do their big hits given the small audience and lack of James fans. They didn't.

The amusing part was where Tim Booth said "we never have a set list. We just play the songs the crowd want". 

Crowd vocally "oh sit down.........."

Tim "we don't do requests either". 

I had a chuckle.

38 minutes ago, Peanutsinger said:

Seen them tonight at Party at the Palace in Linlithgow. It's a small festival and I expected them to do their big hits given the small audience and lack of James fans. They didn't.

The amusing part was where Tim Booth said "we never have a set list. We just play the songs the crowd want". 

Crowd vocally "oh sit down.........."

Tim "we don't do requests either". 

I had a chuckle.

My brother and sister were there. Set list marginally better than Kendal by the looks of it.

Did you see Colonel Mustard ? Word is they were on good form. KC should get them back and give them a decent slot :-)

17 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

My brother and sister were there. Set list marginally better than Kendal by the looks of it.

Did you see Colonel Mustard ? Word is they were on good form. KC should get them back and give them a decent slot :-)

I watched about 4 songs and that was enough for me.

I put them in the same category as the hotpots. They both get the crowd going, but they just aren't for me.

8 minutes ago, LOCHLAND5 said:

KC been asking folk what they want next year , unbelievable that some folk are saying James again ! WTF ! 

OCS blew James out the park. I never thought I’d say that.

As an aside, the ocs lead singer looks dreadful. Last time at KC I remember he was really ill and apologised at the start saying he was feeling unwell but he would give it his best. They were excellent that day as well. Maybe he just always looks ill ?!

Got James again in a few weeks at electric fields. Hopefully a more festival friendly set list. Playing Thursday night to a much smaller crowd.

3 hours ago, LOCHLAND5 said:

KC been asking folk what they want next year , unbelievable that some folk are saying James again ! WTF ! 

Yeah, I noticed there were suggestions on the website and I wonder what folk on here have put.

Mine were LCD, Limp Bizkit, Fatboy Slim and Phoenix. Not expecting a single one of them.

Will probably end up with Run DMC rebooked and Courteeners doing a dreadful rendition of 'Daft Punk is Playing at My House'.

On 8/14/2018 at 4:35 PM, Comfy Bean said:

Got James again in a few weeks at electric fields. Hopefully a more festival friendly set list. Playing Thursday night to a much smaller crowd.

I can't see it mind, they are immersed in their new album at the minute, I'm seeing them tomorrow at Scarborough Open Air Theatre.  It's become a running joke that they didn't play what the crowd wanted them to, and rightly or wrongly they seem to love it