How to find your friends at large festivals.

thePixies

Hi all, my name is Liam and I'm new to the forum. I have developed a prototype app for tagging friends and places and then viewing things using your phone's camera. This tech is really suited to festivals and large outdoor heavily populated areas that don't have maps. We really just want to throw the idea out there and see what people think. 

Our app is called "FriendAR" - like a radar for friends kinda idea, and  it's FREE. Really would like a few people to have a play with it and tell us if you like it or hate the idea, or what else would be useful. Currently it has the bare features, so you can tag friends, or tag your tent. It's will not kill your battery like most GPS apps, its very low power.

The app is on Android  - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.friendar.app&hl=en_GB and Ios version should be ready 2nd August (we found a few bugs in current version). 

Really looking for feedback on the concept. The app is very minimal and lets you share location via SMS with your contacts using a hyperlink. Any ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear form anyone. Also anyone interested in the festival/startup/tech side I'd be interested too.

six.png

frame.png

Thats true, you can always do that!

But the concept is the same, its 'line of sight / as the crow flies' and thats what your friends would do, they follow the line of sight to the flag pole. The camera basically does what you described, it's a way people used to find directions by using way points.

Thanks for that, good example how you navigate and improvise.

5 hours ago, thePixies said:

Hi all, my name is Liam and I'm new to the forum. I have developed a prototype app for tagging friends and places and then viewing things using your phone's camera. This tech is really suited to festivals and large outdoor heavily populated areas that don't have maps. We really just want to throw the idea out there and see what people think. 

Our app is called "FriendAR" - like a radar for friends kinda idea, and  it's FREE. Really would like a few people to have a play with it and tell us if you like it or hate the idea, or what else would be useful. Currently it has the bare features, so you can tag friends, or tag your tent. It's will not kill your battery like most GPS apps, its very low power.

The app is on Android  - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.friendar.app&hl=en_GB and Ios version should be ready 2nd August (we found a few bugs in current version). 

Really looking for feedback on the concept. The app is very minimal and lets you share location via SMS with your contacts using a hyperlink. Any ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear form anyone. Also anyone interested in the festival/startup/tech side I'd be interested too.

six.png

I'm next to the massive fucker in the fur coat!

One of the joys of a festival to me is switching off your mobile phone and leaving the outside world behind.  That, coupled with sometimes a poor signal at fests, means that any 'find my mates by phone' app is a waste of time.

As we often go our separate ways to see different bands we pre-arrange meeting places and meeting times.  Locations, if there isn't an obvious meeting place, are usually done by triangulation against fixed points, like speaker stacks, toilet blocks or food stalls.  Has worked pretty well over the years but good luck to anyone wanting to move on with an app.

• Upvote 1