Well???

SloopJohnB

Some initial thoughts from me now my tent is up in the garden drying off....

Despite my initial dissapointment with the line up, all in all it was pretty good with plenty going on around site.

Highlight for me was Hacienda Classical. Plan B was shocking and the Libertines were what they were.

The set from James could have been so much better. Did he really need to weave so many new songs into a short set?

The site appeared to have been opened up quite a bit. The bar down the left of the main stage appeared to have been moved back.....ready for the talked about capacity increase next year? Calling out was better for the size increase but probably wasn’t tested with poor headliners (Amazons aside....did anyone see them?). Houseparty had increased too but with a single bottleneck entrance that was a nightmare at times.

Arena toilets were again pretty poor with massive queues if you were female. And the toilets to back back of the main stage was set up in such a ways that there was always going to be loads pissing up the fence.

Security was much tougher than in previous years. I didn’t manage to smuggle anything booze from Emperor on Sunday. 

A guy collapsed near us at the main stage on Friday and looked in a real bad way.....I hope he was ok?

I thought that he site stood up pretty well to the weather!

All in all thought....very good! Much better than I was expecting!

Despite my reservations of the lineup, I really enjoyed it too. Calling Outs increased capacity was much needed & welcome and I also liked what they’re setting up around the Valley of the Beats. 

I was disappointed in them closing the Carvetti Stage early - previously, they’d have stuff on until 3am & this weekend is was all shut down around 9pm. Other than that, there wasn’t much else to complain about. 

Had a great time, weather first two days was amazing, had a brilliant night on the Thursday! Craig Charles into the hacienda was inspired had so much fun. some amazing tunes played.

Loved the friday really didn’t move from the main stage, just enjoyed chilling in the sun. Enjoyed James when they got going and found myself really enjoying catfish, didn’t think they were a headliner before but they reallly put on a headline performance.

the rain on Saturday made us jump from tent to tent and had a great day saw loads of great music and comedy, 

Nearly packed up on the Sunday morning the rain in the morning was horrible , glad we stayed, Peter hook onwards was a great run on the main stage, loved OCS and thought the libertines were brilliant.

great choice of booze in the bars, food onsite was amazing, special mention to the stooge burger guys,  best burger I’ve ever had at a festival!

managed to smuggle enough booze in from emperors to save a few bob.

thought it was a great four days , really well organised

Better then expected, got a way with a poor line up as there was enough and found some great bands I'd not heard of. New lay out worked very well.

Biggest gripe was the bars and what they stocked. If you were up by Tim Peaks and was buying round of a beer, a Dark Fruit & GnT you'd have to visit three bars. Crazy.

The fact that the main bars ran out of tonic on Saturday night was unbelievable also.

(Hick)

Does anyone know the name of the band who were in Yam Riot on Sunday night after the Libertines (I didn’t buy a program). They were really good and I’d like to listen some more of their stuff.

Findlay (I think they were called) in Calling Out at the same time as OCS were good as well

First time at Kendal, normally go to Glastonbury, we camped in great plains, good showers, nice little bar with food been served, toilets always clean. 

Our entrance to the arena was past the glow tent.

The line up wasn't exactly exciting, Thursday was the best day for us.

Overall we felt Kendal is trying to be a bigger festival than it actually is but without the line up.

And the prices of food and drink in the arena where a piss take, we don't mind paying over the odds for drinks, but 5.50 is steep, and £12 for burger and chips is a rip off. 

Making it £11 a round for us two, plus a bit of food like a slice of pizza £7-8? Chicken and chips £9, shitty bacon bap £4.

Not enough toilets for the women,  but that's the norm at most events.

Very friendly place to be, we met some great people from all over the country and we would certainly consider coming back. 

Really enjoyed it, I'm absolutely exhausted now though.

Weather was crap, but what can you do.

I quite enjoyed the bars, really easy to get served and a nice cold pint of Coast to Coast made a change from warm lager or cider back at the tent.

It was very, very easy to bring in booze from the campsite. I literally bought 4 cans into the arena every single time. Quite concerning really.

Toilets were disgusting, again as you would expect.

£10 to charge your phone up? I urge Kendal Calling to ban that company from ever returning, that is the most shocking price I saw all weekend.

House Party stage could do with being bigger. Clone Roses and Courtbetweeners - absolute full house at 3 in the afternoon on the Sunday.

Slow Readers Club were great. As were White Lies. 

Very busy for Catfish, and actually quite dangerous down the front. James very disappointing.

Sunday was superb, Libertines, Sherlocks, Wailors, Clone Roses and Peter Hook all top drawer.

Would definitely return, would need more on the line up and perhaps pay for posh loo's  / live in camper van though.

Libertines sounded the best I've ever heard them sound, what a set aswell. Wonder if that Guitar is up on Ebay yet?

Walking past the Woodland stage Friday night on the way to see Catfish, only to see a guy dressed as Elvis singing Nirvana, we decided to stay and give it a go for 1 song for the novelty value, but ended up staying for the entire thing, one of the highlights of the weekend, a great, fun set. 

Liked the new set out, seemed to flow much better.

Blinders on the main stage Saturday afternoon really kickstarted that day, a top band who will be headlining these festivals soon

House Party was much better, Trampolenes set in there was another major highlight of the weekend, as was Slydigs and Twisted Wheel.

Chai Wallahs I really enjoyed this year, Dub Pistols in there on the Friday night was brilliant, and the band who played around midnight sunday with the violins were brilliant, cant remember their name though if anyone can help?

Also the last comedian on in Soapbox on Saturday was great, missed the first 10 and didn't catch his name either.

Weather was a bit of a nightmare but what can you do, site held up well to it I thought.

Didn't think beer prices were too bad on ales, if you were buying cans though for the same price you couldn't help feeling ripped off, in no world should a Coast to coast cost the same as a strongbow

All in all a top weekend

2 hours ago, Wilson86 said:

Chai Wallahs I really enjoyed this year, Dub Pistols in there on the Friday night was brilliant, and the band who played around midnight sunday with the violins were brilliant, cant remember their name though if anyone can help?

(Joe Broughton's) Conservatoire Folk Ensemble.

Brilliant way to finish the weekend. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jane gibbons said:

Anyone get into tim peaks to watch the libertines on Sunday? Was really good listening to some of the songs they don't usually do. Also a highlight for me was twisted wheel in house party Saturday night when plan b was on absolutely smashed it

I wish I did. When were they on and is it just luck to be there at the right time?  Or is there some late announcement to give a clue?

Had a great time this year. We stayed in Great Plains which was so much easier than the family camping we've done in previous years. Overall the whole arena felt less busy especially the Main stage. The new dance arena seemed to take a lot of the crowd. Moving the Calling Out Stage was a good idea as it made the top area a nice place to get away and relax. 

Could have done with one more main bar in my view. 

Was anyone who stayed in GP who have been in Emperor's fields?  I'd be interested in a comparison. 

I bought the posh toilets for my wife but at times the queues were just as bad and they run out of toilet paper so one to look at for next year. 

Band highlights were St Agnes, Blinders, False Advertising, Catfish, White Lies,  and Libertines. 

Had as good a time as I always do and already getting ready for next year.

Still think the line up was poor overall but I'd have paid the £200+ and camped 4 nights just to see Grandmaster Flash on his own. Genuinely up there with the best things I've ever seen.

Honourable mentions to Peter Hook, Hacienda Classical, Basement Jaxx,  Dub Pistols and Mento B.

Emperors Field facilities were appalling - one little coffee van and one pancake van. No phone charging like previous years, no breakfast stuff either. I actually feel like I paid extra to get worse facilities.

7 hours ago, Saint17 said:

I wish I did. When were they on and is it just luck to be there at the right time?  Or is there some late announcement to give a clue?

I went up to Tim peaks after Peter Hook and it said secret set at 1 in the morning on the door but all the line up had changed I think they changed it so Jack Jones was on after libertines but it was actually at 5 only found this out because the Milburn singer was helping out set up and talked to him before we left tim peaks and he said stick around until 5 so I guess it's right place right time 

First time at KC.

nice festival in a lovely spot, but way too far from Somerset for us to make the journey again, that said we really enjoyed the weekend despite the weather.

a few surprises, the almost casual way the organisers mix vehicles and pedestrians, guess northerners are a more hardy bunch, and the amount of rubbish was embarrassing.

love chai wallahs, it was our go to place when the main stage lacked interest.

peter hook was a revelation, I was expecting a sad attempt at reliving past glories via little more than a tribute act, but it was so much more than that, really enjoyed him.

libertines were awful, staggered how many people are saying they loved them, embarrassingly awful, we ended up in chai wallahs after about 40mins.

james were meh apart from the crowd reaction to Sit Down.

loved OCS, damn they are a good live band.

tom grennan was great fun, not sure I’m his target audience but really enjoyed his set.

Some good comedy, some bad comedy.

sorry but hacienda classical is a big load of nothing, wandered off bored after 30mins, each to their own I guess.

crowd was polite, I got bumped a lot, but every single person who bumped me apologised.

A few generater w*nkers in the campervan field, seriously what the fuck needs that much power at 3am?

NOT ENOUGH TOILETS, lots of pissing on the floor, against fencing etc. Not good people, not good.

really enjoyed the weekend, glad we chose KC but like I say way too far away to draw us back. 

Oh and much kudos to the woman who caught the beers being thrown over the fence by the KC sign on Sunday, she made off with a stash whilst the 2 lads throwing them got caught when they came in, we assumed she was with them, turns out she wasn’t.?

Edited by Smeble
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, Wilson86 said:

Libertines sounded the best I've ever heard them sound, what a set aswell. Wonder if that Guitar is up on Ebay yet?

Walking past the Woodland stage Friday night on the way to see Catfish, only to see a guy dressed as Elvis singing Nirvana, we decided to stay and give it a go for 1 song for the novelty value, but ended up staying for the entire thing, one of the highlights of the weekend, a great, fun set. 

Liked the new set out, seemed to flow much better.

Blinders on the main stage Saturday afternoon really kickstarted that day, a top band who will be headlining these festivals soon

House Party was much better, Trampolenes set in there was another major highlight of the weekend, as was Slydigs and Twisted Wheel.

Also the last comedian on in Soapbox on Saturday was great, missed the first 10 and didn't catch his name either.

Weather was a bit of a nightmare but what can you do, site held up well to it I thought.

Didn't think beer prices were too bad on ales, if you were buying cans though for the same price you couldn't help feeling ripped off, in no world should a Coast to coast cost the same as a strongbow

All in all a top weekend

It was Conservatoire Folk Ensemble in Chai on Sunday night! Apparently they had 50 people on stage.... 

And I think it might have been comedian Hal Cruttenden who was last on on Saturday.

• Like 1

Loved it this year. 

Enjoyed Thursday in the sun. Saw last 3 acts on main and liked them all. Drove straight in at 4pm but now realise that might have been due to the M6 probs for folk coming up the way.

Friday perfect weather. Wandered round a bit. Liked Dub Pistols. Not impressed with James. Have seen catfish so watched a bit of the young fella who headlined Calling Out. Declan McKenna also went down really well or was that Saturday. Dub Pistols in Chai Wallahs at midnight was a nice surprise then Baggy Monday’s was a good end to the night.

Saturday was good to catch up with some efesters then the lassie that opened Chai Wallahs was brilliant. Thanks to Thurlow for the heads up. Watched all of Plan B. Not a massive fan but decent. Quite the theatrical performance. His own dumb fault for running past the 11pm curfew which meant the ending was a bit shit. Caught the Elvis nirvana thing in the woods, brilliant, then Horseman in Chai Wallahs brilliant, then indie disco again, blurred :-)

Sunday morning weather worries and very hungover. Dug deep and had a brilliant night. Wailers then ocs who I thought were excellent. Way better than James which I didn’t expect. Seen the Libertines a couple of times. Thought it was ok. Nice touch with the guitar.

Ended up in Tim peaks till 2ish and got a seat for the first time ever. Rumours of a secret set at 1am were crap. Then rembered I hadn’t had a curry from ghandis flip flop. It was shut. 

Drove Straight out about 1pm after getting it dry to get the tent down.

Had a great time. 

Huge increase in the amount of cups and sometimes cans getting chucked about this year in front of the main stage.

Stuff flying about constantly during James which was the closest I was to the front. Too old for that shit so we moved back...plus that black currant cider shit would ruin my hair.

Also those big ball things are annoying. Folk in the crowd paying more attention to them and screaming about how many touches they’d had.

Yes I am an old fart but how can you watch the band when you are constantly on the look out for drinks flying at you.

Accident waiting to happen with the number of really young kids who get put up on shoulders.