Campervanning

John the Moth

Next year, assuming I get a festival ticket, we’re considering a campervan for the first time instead of tents.

For the last three festivals, we managed to get coach sale tickets, and honestly it was a great feeling to get sorted at the first opportunity. My main worry is that I’m taking that opportunity away from myself.

I’m hoping you lovely folk with experience could answer the following questions to help me mentally prepare and come to a final decision.

When do campervan tickets go on sale relative to the main sale?

Is the campervan sale the same manic experience as the ticket sale?

Edited by John the Moth
Clarity

6 hours ago, John the Moth said:

When do campervan tickets go on sale relative to the main sale?

Is the campervan sale the same manic experience as the ticket sale?

I think they were about a week later than the ticket sale last time.

And yes, it's a mad rush for them too, but if you're on the ball you shouldn't have difficulties getting sorted.

West campervan fields nearly as manic as ticket day. East is easier to get. If you get tickets for West it's tiny (Two fields) so if you're arriving late no problems with pitch being close to gate. If you choose east then you need to be in early as possible as they fill from the front first usually. Can add a long walk if you end up in the furthest fields. You need to look at Glastonbury map to decide what stages most interest you before picking West or east. West has much less hassle at gate as for campervan vans only. Nice security staff too.East can have queus in and out at certain times of day and more security due to more footfall. My preference is west.

Positive mental attitude. You will get a ticket, and a campervan ticket. And so will I.  

Edited by mashedonmud

Getting a CV ticket isn't normally an issue, but for some reason last year it was! As said above, it was a mad rush...just like T day. For the first time ever I failed to get one. Luckily Neil was able to offer me a backup plan as he had a spare, but I was able to score one myself on resale day in April so didn't need it. (Thanks again Neil :D ). So, where I'm usually a bit blasé about getting a CV ticket, I'm going to be a bit more concerned this year (assuming I get a ticket on T Day!!)

5 minutes ago, Havors said:

I have tried to get a few quotes for Campervans.... lots have already sold out! And lots are like £1200 for a 4 berth... Are the campervan fields just for the rich? haha! I thought Worthy View was expensive. 

there's limited campervans available for rent, so those who rent them know they can get premium prices when there's excessive demand (which there is when Glasto is on).

It's mostly the stupidly-rich who are renting them. The majority of people in the CV fields are in their own (often aging) VW campers, etc.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

there's limited campervans available for rent, so those who rent them know they can get premium prices when there's excessive demand (which there is when Glasto is on).

It's mostly the stupidly-rich who are renting them. The majority of people in the CV fields are in their own (often aging) VW campers, etc.

Id love to go campervan purely because you can go down there on the Tuesday. Its a shame they are so expensive. The VW campers are awesome but we would need 6 of them for our group. Tent it is I think unless I win the Lottery.... that I dont even do. :D 

I say all this like we are even going to get tickets... getting ahead of myself. :(

28 minutes ago, Havors said:

I have tried to get a few quotes for Campervans.... lots have already sold out! And lots are like £1200 for a 4 berth... Are the campervan fields just for the rich? haha! I thought Worthy View was expensive. 

Yeah they're crazy expensive at that time due to the time of year obviously and the British GP Ive been told.

Have done a few Glastos in campers. Not worth it in my opinion. Give me a good tent every time. 

8 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah they're crazy expensive at that time due to the time of year obviously and the British GP Ive been told.

Have done a few Glastos in campers. Not worth it in my opinion. Give me a good tent every time. 

Yeah thinking that myself... not sure how I would feel about being at a festival and not in a tent... its like they go hand in hand. Along with wellies and festivals, made for each other :D 

21 minutes ago, Havors said:

Id love to go campervan purely because you can go down there on the Tuesday. Its a shame they are so expensive. The VW campers are awesome but we would need 6 of them for our group. Tent it is I think unless I win the Lottery.... that I dont even do. :D 

I say all this like we are even going to get tickets... getting ahead of myself. :(

I used to beg, borrow and steal (well, perhaps not steal!) caravans and motorhomes until one year I decided to get myself a cheap caravan just for Glastonbury, with the intention of selling it on afterwards and getting my money back - ergo, free accommodation! I was looking at paying around 500 - 600 quid originally, but decided it might be easier to sell if I paid a bit more and got a decent one. I finally bought one for a grand (still less than renting) but ended up keeping it because it was so nice! Next year (ticket gods permitting!) will be it's fifth Glastonbury, so it's turned out to be real value for money :D

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Havors said:

Yeah thinking that myself... not sure how I would feel about being at a festival and not in a tent... its like they go hand in hand. Along with wellies and festivals, made for each other :D 

@whisty  takes a trailer tent on Tuesday, then goes on site Wednesday and pitches a tent. He stays on site for the rest of the week but has the trailer tent to come back to should he need to.

6 minutes ago, Pear_Cider said:

@whisty  takes a trailer tent on Tuesday, then goes on site Wednesday and pitches a tent. He stays on site for the rest of the week but has the trailer tent to come back to should he need to.

Haha so purchases a campervan ticket just for the tuesday? Interesting if you already have a trailer tent like. :D

Is your campervan an old VW type? 

10 minutes ago, Havors said:

Is your campervan an old VW type? 

No mate, it's a caravan that I bought for a grand. It has fridge to keep the beers cold, toilet for those middle of the night sudden urges and a shower. The old classic VW campervans cost thousands just for a fixer-upper!!

Edited by Pear_Cider

4 minutes ago, Pear_Cider said:

No mate, it's a caravan that I bought for a grand. It has fridge to keep the beers cold, toilet for those middle of the night sudden urges and a shower. The old classic VW campervans cost thousands just for a fixer-upper!!

Bloody hell thats good going then! Do you insure it year round or just for the festival? :) Its a cracking idea like. 

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

It's also the case, according to my most local campervan outlet, that they hugely increase their prices during the Glastonbury week because in too many cases the vehicle is returned in a very poor condition, costing them to clean and repair the thing. 

4 hours ago, Havors said:

Bloody hell thats good going then! Do you insure it year round or just for the festival? :) Its a cracking idea like. 

I just get insurance for the whole year...about fifty quid IIRC. If I have it insured for the year then I'm covered if I decide to use it for a weekend away or anything. I'm not someone who'd go on holiday for a fortnight in a touring caravan, but it's handy if we wanted to take a trip somewhere.

5 hours ago, Pear_Cider said:

I used to beg, borrow and steal (well, perhaps not steal!) caravans and motorhomes until one year I decided to get myself a cheap caravan just for Glastonbury, with the intention of selling it on afterwards and getting my money back - ergo, free accommodation! I was looking at paying around 500 - 600 quid originally, but decided it might be easier to sell if I paid a bit more and got a decent one. I finally bought one for a grand (still less than renting) but ended up keeping it because it was so nice! Next year (ticket gods permitting!) will be it's fifth Glastonbury, so it's turned out to be real value for money :D

Buying your own caravan makes economic sense.  Two or three festivals and it's paid for itself against the cost of hiring. A cheap-ish awning also provides a social area. But beware the slippery slope.  Next you'll be joining the Caravan Club (I have) as they've got some lovely sites - for example Cheltenham Racecourse (ideal for the night before Wychwood) and Longleat where I've just had a great weekend with my daughters and twin grandkids.  Festivals for me are now caravanning with a bit of music attached.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Buying your own caravan makes economic sense.  Two or three festivals and it's paid for itself against the cost of hiring. A cheap-ish awning also provides a social area. But beware the slippery slope.  Next you'll be joining the Caravan Club (I have) as they've got some lovely sites - for example Cheltenham Racecourse (ideal for the night before Wychwood) and Longleat where I've just had a great weekend with my daughters and twin grandkids.  Festivals for me are now caravanning with a bit of music attached.

Seconded..(or thirded actually).

first Glastonbury was 2007 with my nephews and we hired a camper an (£300 each) and when I came back (2009) with my daughters I decided to buy a half decent caravan for £2.5k with a full awning... it lasted 6 Glastonbury’s and 4 Latitudes  before I decided to upgrade.. (I also joined the Caravan Club and get out a couple of other times a year)..

expenses still to consider are storage (unless you can keep it somewhere for free) and a towbar fitted... and then try stopping you wife bringing the whole house with her.....

i couldn’t do it any other way tbf 

• Like 1

Top advice I heeded years ago. The money is quickly returned, especially if you do lots of festivals. Just fitted new fridge in my caravan as cold alcohol a necessity now. The joy of a shower, the joy of dry clothes on the rare occasions it rains and the absolute joy of taking a dump without looking down on 200000 over turds. ?

14 minutes ago, mashedonmud said:

Top advice I heeded years ago. The money is quickly returned, especially if you do lots of festivals. Just fitted new fridge in my caravan as cold alcohol a necessity now. The joy of a shower, the joy of dry clothes on the rare occasions it rains and the absolute joy of taking a dump without looking down on 200000 over turds. ?

All this ^^^^^^^^ and more...

And you can sleep in the van/caravan anytime you've got a spare night. Get wasted and awake confused and slightly wobbly. It's just like being at Glastonbury until your focus returns and you realise that you're staring at ya neighbours wall. And they're staring at you from their window, you in your underwear and them looking more confused than you in your concused state. Love it.

7 hours ago, Pear_Cider said:

A grand! This bloke lives like a king In the camper fields, I tell ya  no lies :) My poor old trailer tent almost blew apart last year. 

Edited by whisty