Campervanning

John the Moth

Oh @amfy you have literally just decided it for me cos they are all the reasons we have decided to go down the caravan route. Have camped every year but my energy is so low now as was diagnosed with pernicious anemia so need B12 shots and struggle with pain and insomnia. I especially struggle with getting back to sleep after as you say the indinity of the lenor bottle. I have no problem with the long drops during the day etc but pissing in a bottle with another tent almost in your porch is indignant. 

So lovely to hear it made a huge difference. I know they are further away but a good sleep and tactical use of the lock ups means I will be more likely to enjoy the festival more. Mwah! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

I know they are further away but a good sleep and tactical use of the lock ups means I will be more likely to enjoy the festival more.

It's not so far when you get used to it. In fact, depending on whereabouts on site you happen to be when you decide to head for home, I wouldn't be surprised if it was closer than some folks have to trek to get back to their tents! (Depending on where they're camped of course).

Good luck on Thursday :D xx

Edited by Pear_Cider

32 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Oh @amfy you have literally just decided it for me cos they are all the reasons we have decided to go down the caravan route. Have camped every year but my energy is so low now as was diagnosed with pernicious anemia so need B12 shots and struggle with pain and insomnia. I especially struggle with getting back to sleep after as you say the indinity of the lenor bottle. I have no problem with the long drops during the day etc but pissing in a bottle with another tent almost in your porch is indignant. 

So lovely to hear it made a huge difference. I know they are further away but a good sleep and tactical use of the lock ups means I will be more likely to enjoy the festival more. Mwah! 

Our friends got a 2nd hand one and it’s great too. Bigger than ours and everything still works!

We also think the lock ups will just allow us to take everything we need for the whole day with us so it’s only one trip in and out each day. 

Also - I think East camper van fields place you closer to the better end of the site. I was right by them when I worked for Shelter last year, and coming in through Gate C means you wander through them the Theatre/Circus stuff in the way in. I don’t think any of the camping spots put those things slap bang into your day like that. I liked that it made those things an intrinsic part of my festival rather than something I needed to go out of my way to do.

Also - the funny thing about the caravan loo was the first night back home, I found myself a bit annoyed with how far away from my bed the loo is in my house!

Edited by amfy
To add soemthing

7 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Theatre and Circus are my favourite area along with Avalon etc. So perfect considering we normally camp at paines a 10 minute walk from Arcadia

Exactly. We were always in Dairy or Bushy Ground - so convenient for Silver Hayes and The Other Stage, but not where I want to spend any significant time usually!

17 minutes ago, amfy said:

Also - I think East camper van fields place you closer to the better end of the site. I was right by them when I worked for Shelter last year, and coming in through Gate C means you wander through them the Theatre/Circus stuff in the way in.

Agreed. Although we tend to get to most places during the week, our main hangouts are usually Avalon, Acoustic, Cabaret, Williams Green etc. Most places this side of Pyramid in fact!

• 1 month later...

Finally found the correct thread again. Thanks @Pear_Cider @BlueDaze and @amfy

Meant to update that we got the caravan. It's at a secure lock up now and getting the curtains and cushions done. Caravan interiors leave a lot to be desired. Once we get them back it will ne getting a good clean and make sure its drained properly etc. Hoping to get out in it for a local journey to check how everything works. We're such noobs we haven't a clue how anything works. 

Thanks for all the advice. X

Praying for tickets now. 

Edited by H.M.V
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Meant to update that we got the caravan. It's at a secure lock up now and getting the curtains and cushions done. Caravan interiors leave a lot to be desired. Once we get them back it will ne getting a good clean and make sure its drained properly etc. Hoping to get out in it for a local journey to check how everything works. We're such noobs we haven't a clue how anything works. 

Praying for tickets now. 

good news.!

Post this stressful week and the news that all the good folk on here have their tickets... I am sure several of  will be ready with tips & tricks as necessary.

5 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Praying for tickets now. 

All being lucky on Sunday you're gonna love being up in he cv fields. the Tuesday evening, as the sun sets , trip to the top of the hill is just magical - you come in through gate C and get to spend plenty  wander time in theatre and circus and there;s some fun bars that side of the site that close around 3ish from memory and are good fun - its such a great way to wander into the festival and as you know you never know what you're going to stumble upon :-)

I have a vision of getting a cv one day and making cushions out of all the old Glastonbury bags for it - sure you'll make it look very homely and it will change your festival experience for the better, nothing like having a good quiet nights sleep - its lush !

3 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

All being lucky on Sunday you're gonna love being up in the cv fields. the Tuesday evening, as the sun sets , trip to the top of the hill is just magical

It's one of my highlights of the festival. There's a lovely atmosphere on the Tuesday, really relaxed....maybe this time we can have a mini-efest meet up, as there seems to be a good number planning to be in CV East.

25 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

It's one of my highlights of the festival. There's a lovely atmosphere on the Tuesday, really relaxed....maybe this time we can have a mini-efest meet up, as there seems to be a good number planning to be in CV East.

Yes yes sounds perfect - weekend luck permitting :-)

We sit up there, mini shot glasses and homemade sloe gin watching the lights go on across the site and wondering what wonders we will uncover and adventures we will have over the next 5 days - there's such a sense of anticipation and happiness. We also always toast absent friends and its a poingnat moment each year

Waking up Wednesday morning to queue of people traisping past laiden up with luggage is also a sight - I always want to deliver cups ot tea and bacon rolls to anyone who is queued nearby or taking a breather :-)

This is certainly stuff to get excited about but until we have a golden ticket I daren't dream. Whats the story with getting a campervan ticket if we don't get a GA ticket and try again in the resales? Just covering all eventualities as the campers sell out quite quickly as well. 

2 hours ago, H.M.V said:

This is certainly stuff to get excited about but until we have a golden ticket I daren't dream. Whats the story with getting a campervan ticket if we don't get a GA ticket and try again in the resales? Just covering all eventualities as the campers sell out quite quickly as well. 

Never tried them but there's a few outside places that let you pitch up your campervan within walking distance to the site. Some have showers and stuff like that. Not sure of the distances but potentially similar to back end of the campervan field I'd guess!. Maybe worth a look if no luck? 

Eg

http://www.ashcombefarmcaravanandcamping.co.uk/

3 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Someone can get one and go in with you when you get tickets but as there may not be resales like last year, that's risky. #pants

11 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Praying for tickets now. 

Yes, good news :D  Can't wait to see it! Like you say, fingers crossed now for good fortune this Sunday!! 

Did you and Phil have a great holiday?  No more drama on the return trip? Lol :D xx

5 hours ago, H.M.V said:

In 2016 when we failed to get GA tickets, luckily some friends who had tickets and who we meet at a nearby campsite on the Monday got our CV pass, our plan being to swop partners until on-site so names matched when checked. Sadly  I also failed to get tickets in the resale. 

Then thanks to the wonderful @eFestivals in late May I won 2 GA tickets so we were able to use our CV pass after all! ??

43 minutes ago, Pear_Cider said:

Yes, good news :D  Can't wait to see it! Like you say, fingers crossed now for good fortune this Sunday!! 

Did you and Phil have a great holiday?  No more drama on the return trip? Lol :D xx

LOL no drama on the way back but that's because everyone is wrecked in a different. (for those not in the know we were on the flight to Ibiza that was returned to Manchester due to some drunken woman) 

13 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Praying for tickets now. 

We were also clueless but are picking it up as we go. Fortunately we have a neighbour who guided us through the early stages. Then we joined the swift base camp owners Facebook group - because of the type of caravan it is, loads of the people who have them are first times so we all help each other muddle through!

If you go to a caravan site, your neighbours will delight in showing you how things work so don’t be afraid to ask! Feel free to message if you think we can help with anything too.

Happy caravanning!