Prepping for sales day, similar festival/event sold on seetickets?

Evilmonkeydan

12 minutes ago, Quark said:

Could have sworn my coach package one was NE last year. Maybe I imagined that and it was an independent booked by See.  Entirely possible

You might be right but my experience has always been that the National Express ones are a separate service to the See ones (NE are cheaper and go from Victoria, rather than the bloody O2 carpark in London).

7 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

You might be right but my experience has always been that the National Express ones are a separate service to the See ones (NE are cheaper and go from Victoria, rather than the bloody O2 carpark in London).

Oh god the carpark...

To be fair they made a decent fist of it last year considering what the weather was like on Wednesday.

It's a real decision point for me.  London ticket - pick departure time. Brighton ticket, bit closer but luck of the draw...

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Oh god the carpark...

To be fair they made a decent fist of it last year considering what the weather was like on Wednesday.

It's a real decision point for me.  London ticket - pick departure time. Brighton ticket, bit closer but luck of the draw...

Yeah it was decently well run, but when you live in west London it couldn't be a worse location to try to get to before rush hour - only to travel all the way back across London to head west when on the coach... We had no air-con on our coach last year so were in a bit of a state when we arrived: sweat central.

1 hour ago, Quark said:
  • Don't get smashed on Saturday night.  If getting a ticket is important you can cope for a night without booze. 
  • Complete focus. If you've got kids, other half, mates etc, lock them out.  You don't have time to be distracted. If people are trying to help, they need to be drilled to perfection or they'll get in the way. Think Full Metal Jacket. Mrs Q knows the deal and leaves me to it. EDIT - and pets.  Given the havoc my cats can wreak on a conference call I don't want the little gits anywhere near me.
  • Get setup beforehand.  I want all devices on the ticket page a good 10 minutes before zero hour. Rushing is not your friend. Power supplies plugged in, batteries charged and all that jazz.
  • Reg numbers and postcodes either ready to copy and paste, and a copy pinned to the wall in front of you. And have your card number ready in big print as well. Getting to the ticket screen is only half the battle; no point getting through if you're then dicking about trying to remember which jeans your wallet is in.
  • If you're in a group, have a whatsapp chat going but keep chat limited to success only so you're not trying to double up.  Can't be doing with "I'm going nuts here LOL" flashing up while I'm trying to enter a reg number. If they can't control themselves, get better friends.
  • Multiple devices across a mix of LAN, WiFi and 4G, but no more than you can handle. I work on the basis that I need to be able to see all screens in peripheral vision in case one strikes lucky.
  • Line devices up so you can hit refresh, move to the next, refresh, move to the next etc. About 5-10 seconds to get through the cycle and return to first device.
  • Sat in the middle on a swivel chair like Captain James T. Kirk is a good way to go.

Job done.

Good set of tips there, with a couple of qualifications:

Make sure if you have some sort of group chat going that it's on the desktop.u You don't want to be taking your hands of the mouse and keyboard, swiping around, taking your mobile browser out of memory etc.  There is a WhatsApp app for desktop, if that's where everyone is.  Make sure you've installed+linked to your phone well in advance of T day and are familiar with it.

Actually, I'd go further and try to avoid using your phone at all when buying tickets.  If you want the extra IP address, then tether a laptop to your phone, but entering reg numbers on a phone is fiddly AF.

Finally, I don't see any point in using WiFi other than for the reason that if you might not be able to get everything plugged into your router directly.  Sure, use 4G, but if you're connected to the same network.  Having said that, the actual advantage to be wired is probably negligible, but if you normally have two machines wired to your router, there's no advantage in unplugging one of them and going over WiFi.

• Windows laptop - Wifi
  • Macbook - 4G
  • Windows desktop
  • Lots* of Remote Desktop connections to Azure virtual machines in different regions
  • Browserstack? (TBC)

* I've not decided how many "lots" are.  I'm wavering between 3-5, so I can refresh them all manually, or 10+, leaving them on auto-refresh and leaving them all open on my screen without trying to go into them all individually.

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah it was decently well run, but when you live in west London it couldn't be a worse location to try to get to before rush hour - only to travel all the way back across London to head west when on the coach... We had no air-con on our coach last year so were in a bit of a state when we arrived: sweat central.

Coming up from Sussex wasn't too bad, apart from being the dickhead with a glastonbury-sized rucksack on a rush hour commuter train! :lol:

Ended up at the little coffee shop between N Greenwich station and the car park with a good hour to spare.  Like I said, rushing is not my friend...

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:
  • Windows laptop - Wifi
  • Macbook - 4G
  • Windows desktop
  • Lots* of Remote Desktop connections to Azure virtual machines in different regions
  • Browserstack? (TBC)

Can't be doing with the remote setups, although my brother might go for it.  Might have a crack at tethering one of my laptops to the phone though, like that idea.  If you're tethered presumably wouldn't prevent use of the phone as well as the tethered device though, right?

And as per my previous, fuck off with your Browserstack :lol:

• Home windows laptop
  • Work windows laptop
  • Mrs Q's work windows laptop
  • Personal phone
  • Work phone
  • Old phone, no SIM but still running WiFi

Think I'll forego the Xbox after last year's recurring nightmares of entering reg numbers with a controller :ninja:

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Can't be doing with the remote setups, although my brother might go for it.  Might have a crack at tethering one of my laptops to the phone though, like that idea.  If you're tethered presumably wouldn't prevent use of the phone as well as the tethered device though, right?

And as per my previous, fuck off with your Browserstack :lol:

• Home windows laptop
  • Work windows laptop
  • Mrs Q's work windows laptop
  • Personal phone
  • Work phone
  • Old phone, no SIM but still running WiFi

Think I'll forego the Xbox after last year's recurring nightmares of entering reg numbers with a controller :ninja:

After all the recent talk of > 60req/min getting your IP banned, I'm leaning very much away from lots of devices/browser and more towards lots of external IP addresses.  That's the thing that'll get me more chances.  Not hitting F5 like a maniac and certainly not having loads of sessions on the same IP.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
60req/min

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

After all the recent talk of > 50req/min getting your IP banned, I'm leaning very much away from lots of devices/browser and more towards lots of external IP addresses.  That's the thing that'll get me more chances.  Not hitting F5 like a maniac and certainly not having loads of sessions on the same IP.

I am just going for 1 device per IP with 3 IP addresses. Can spam at 50 per second then I believe. 

If you have an Apple device you can also set up shortcuts with Reg numbers/bank details etc. R1 for first Reg, r2 second Reg and so on. Makes things a lot easier than trying to type all the numbers in especially if you have sausage fingers like me!

9 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

If you have an Apple device you can also set up shortcuts with Reg numbers/bank details etc. R1 for first Reg, r2 second Reg and so on. Makes things a lot easier than trying to type all the numbers in especially if you have sausage fingers like me!

Any links on setting this up?

Okay, on my iPhone and iPad it’s:

Settings>General>Keyboard>Text Replacement

then tap the + in the top right hand corner and it gives you 2 boxes. The first box is for the entire text you want a shortcut for, say 12345678 for your first Reg number. Then in the second box type in your shortcut say ‘r1’ 

After setting this up every time you type in r1 into safari it automatically brings up the full text.

Hope that explains it??

4 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Okay, on my iPhone and iPad it’s:

Settings>General>Keyboard>Text Replacement

then tap the + in the top right hand corner and it gives you 2 boxes. The first box is for the entire text you want a shortcut for, say 12345678 for your first Reg number. Then in the second box type in your shortcut say ‘r1’ 

After setting this up every time you type in r1 into safari it automatically brings up the full text.

Hope that explains it??

Ah, it's iOS.  Is there something similar for Macs?

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've not decided how many "lots" are.  I'm wavering between 3-5, so I can refresh them all manually, or 10+, leaving them on auto-refresh and leaving them all open on my screen without trying to go into them all individually.

Sticking with 1 device and 1 x IP here...plus perhaps 1 further device on auto-refresh.  If it's all about the number of requests then 10 devices on auto- refresh would give you a 2 second refresh rate overall ( based on the auto-refresh being 20 seconds).  Refreshing 5 devices manually is unlikely to give you much better than that due to the time to move between them.

A good deal of focus with one finger on a single F5 key can get close to the 1s rate.....hence up to 60/minute....tests for the blocking thing have needed me to do that.

8 hours ago, mike86 said:

I've noticed in the past if someone in the house is on the ticket page they can be kicked out if everyone else is still trying to connect. 

This reflects @stuartbert two hats original point and I'm afraid I'm stumped.  Certainly the tests I did with 2 devices on same wifi NAT showed they were treated separately with respect to the blocking (so taking the unique internal IP into consideration) but these comments throw doubt on whether that is the case for booking sessions themselves ie a session gets allocated to the NAT IP so that everyone on that IP gets a page (which is essentially the same session), and if someone then F5's the session is lost.

I'm sure that can't be the case as it's putting folks in, say, halls of residence, at a major disadvantage, but I'm at a loss to explain things here.....

51 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Sticking with 1 device and 1 x IP here...plus perhaps 1 further device on auto-refresh.  If it's all about the number of requests then 10 devices on auto- refresh would give you a 2 second refresh rate overall ( based on the auto-refresh being 20 seconds).  Refreshing 5 devices manually is unlikely to give you much better than that due to the time to move between them.

A good deal of focus with one finger on a single F5 key can get close to the 1s rate.....hence up to 60/minute....tests for the blocking thing have needed me to do that.

Why not have your main machine hammering f5, with a few remote desktop windows on auto-refresh in the background?  Since my home computer is my work machine, I'm lucky enough to have a couple of monitors, one of which is 4k, so I should be able to fit rather a lot of windows on!

I have new information.....

It looks like Seetickets have moved their servers to a new hosting provider and rather than hosted on Virgin IP's they are now on Exponential-e IP''s.  I'd guess new hardware, more processor etc too.

Whether that increases or decrease the risk of a crash under demand on ticket day is anyone's guess.....

12 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

well thanks to this thread ive started to get our ticket groups together ... teathering to mobile sorted ... need to adjust the shortcuts when confirmed registrations are in ...Its not too early is it ?!!  :) 

Never too early. I've started gathering together who in my group definitely wants tickets to get an idea of how many groups of six we will need.

16 hours ago, parsonjack said:

I have new information.....

It looks like Seetickets have moved their servers to a new hosting provider and rather than hosted on Virgin IP's they are now on Exponential-e IP''s.  I'd guess new hardware, more processor etc too.

Whether that increases or decrease the risk of a crash under demand on ticket day is anyone's guess.....

This also means that anyone with previous IP's in Host files they are tempted to attempt to use will come unstuck....so a further 'tip' would be to ensure you don't have any Host file edits still in place from previous sales.

• Upvote 1