Prepping for sales day, similar festival/event sold on seetickets?

Evilmonkeydan

I fucking hate ticket day, I really do hate it with a passion. There were days when I could get my ticket from a boat in the middle of the ocean with a dial up computer and I used to feel a pang of excitement at 9am mixed with all the nervousness but now I just look on it with dread!

Just now, MilkyJoe said:

I fucking hate ticket day, I really do hate it with a passion. There were days when I could get my ticket from a boat in the middle of the ocean with a dial up computer and I used to feel a pang of excitement at 9am mixed with all the nervousness but now I just look on it with dread!

Yeah, I feel you. I used to actually quite enjoy and look forward to the process, but after missing out entirely one year I now just dread the fucking thing. 

19 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah, I feel you. I used to actually quite enjoy and look forward to the process, but after missing out entirely one year I now just dread the fucking thing. 

I don't know of anyone who enjoys it on the day...although I do get a rush of excitement in the preparation.

I try to take the attitude that if you have prepared as best you can, and then you try as best you can on the day, then if you fail it will be crushing, but at least you know you couldn't have done any more.

1 minute ago, parsonjack said:

I don't know of anyone who enjoys it on the day...although I do get a rush of excitement in the preparation.

I try to take the attitude that if you have prepared as best you can, and then you try as best you can on the day, then if you fail it will be crushing, but at least you know you couldn't have done any more.

Yeah that's a good way of looking at it. And there's always the resale...

1 minute ago, The All Round Ball :| said:

Ive always had tickets got for me but this year im in charge of getting tickets for me and my mates. Any tips? Like should i refresh pages or sit in a queue and wait? Not 100% sure so advice would be perfect :) 

The queue seetickets put you into isn't a real queue, its just a holding page that auto-refreshes for you. I am too impatient to wait for the autorefresh so I just do it myself, but other people have had luck just letting it run its course. You could try having a mobile device on the auto-refresh and then manually refresh on a computer (but no more than 60 refreshes a minute).

My best tips are to have as many people are possible trying. Get a list together in advance of all the reg numbers and postcodes and split people into groups of six if necessary, then distribute that to everyone. Have a group chat so if someone gets through they can let you know.

3 minutes ago, evilduck said:

The queue seetickets put you into isn't a real queue, its just a holding page that auto-refreshes for you. I am too impatient to wait for the autorefresh so I just do it myself, but other people have had luck just letting it run its course. You could try having a mobile device on the auto-refresh and then manually refresh on a computer (but no more than 60 refreshes a minute).

My best tips are to have as many people are possible trying. Get a list together in advance of all the reg numbers and postcodes and split people into groups of six if necessary, then distribute that to everyone. Have a group chat so if someone gets through they can let you know.

Thanks for the tips dude! Ill take that all into account and hopefully will be in the field 2019 :D 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

All about coach sale.  Told my gang that I'll be in to help them get their tix as well, but I really don't care how I get there so damned if I'm missing out on an extra ticket chance on the Thursday! 

Friend of mine does that. He always gets a coach ticket with some ease he says... You are stuck to having to get on the coach then though... and cant carry fuck all with you. I need my comforts like my 70L colemans cooler box full of booze and ice... and my camp bed... etc etc ha 

26 minutes ago, The All Round Ball :| said:

Ive always had tickets got for me but this year im in charge of getting tickets for me and my mates. Any tips? Like should i refresh pages or sit in a queue and wait? Not 100% sure so advice would be perfect :) 

• Don't get smashed on Saturday night.  If getting a ticket is important you can cope for a night without booze. 
  • Complete focus. If you've got kids, other half, mates etc, lock them out.  You don't have time to be distracted. If people are trying to help, they need to be drilled to perfection or they'll get in the way. Think Full Metal Jacket. Mrs Q knows the deal and leaves me to it. EDIT - and pets.  Given the havoc my cats can wreak on a conference call I don't want the little gits anywhere near me.
  • Get setup beforehand.  I want all devices on the ticket page a good 10 minutes before zero hour. Rushing is not your friend. Power supplies plugged in, batteries charged and all that jazz.
  • Reg numbers and postcodes either ready to copy and paste, and a copy pinned to the wall in front of you. And have your card number ready in big print as well. Getting to the ticket screen is only half the battle; no point getting through if you're then dicking about trying to remember which jeans your wallet is in.
  • If you're in a group, have a whatsapp chat going but keep chat limited to success only so you're not trying to double up.  Can't be doing with "I'm going nuts here LOL" flashing up while I'm trying to enter a reg number. If they can't control themselves, get better friends.
  • Multiple devices across a mix of LAN, WiFi and 4G, but no more than you can handle. I work on the basis that I need to be able to see all screens in peripheral vision in case one strikes lucky.
  • Line devices up so you can hit refresh, move to the next, refresh, move to the next etc. About 5-10 seconds to get through the cycle and return to first device.
  • Sat in the middle on a swivel chair like Captain James T. Kirk is a good way to go.

Job done.

Edited by Quark
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 9

12 minutes ago, Havors said:

Friend of mine does that. He always gets a coach ticket with some ease he says... You are stuck to having to get on the coach then though... and cant carry fuck all with you. I need my comforts like my 70L colemans cooler box full of booze and ice... and my camp bed... etc etc ha 

I'll be honest, it was OK.  Last year was first coach run, and managed luggage OK.  But then I take spirits rather than a coolbox...

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'll be honest, it was OK.  Last year was first coach run, and managed luggage OK.  But then I take spirits rather than a coolbox...

They dont give you your actual ticket until you get off the coach do they?? 

1 minute ago, Havors said:

They dont give you your actual ticket until you get off the coach do they?? 

They dished ours out about halfway down I seem to recall.  It was like a prize day at school. I'd had a couple of beers so I may have started an acceptance speech...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Quark said:

They dished ours out about halfway down I seem to recall.  It was like a prize day at school. I'd had a couple of beers so I may have started an acceptance speech...

Do you reckon you could get someone to follow you down in the car and bail off the coach once you have your ticket?? :D 

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

Do you reckon you could get someone to follow you down in the car and bail off the coach once you have your ticket?? :D 

Only if (a) you're a TERRIBLE person and (b) don't mind a drop & roll on the M4 at 70mph

I've got the coach a few times and this very much depends on the driver - some of them hand them out at the start of the journey, some of them in the middle at services. And I think some might do it at the end. They only really hand them to the lead booker anyway, though, and don't really check each persons' ticket or ID or anything. 

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

Only if (a) you're a TERRIBLE person and (b) don't mind a drop & roll on the M4 at 70mph

Haha dont they have piss breaks?? food stops?  :D Too much bloody effort to coordinate that anyway.... but in theory.... 

To add to Quarks big list above -

- On the day before the sale, check that any devices and web browsers and any other software you're using are all fully up to date. The last thing you want is to turn the computer on at 8:45am and find that it's decided that now is the perfect time to install a big update taking half an hour.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, incident said:

To add to Quarks big list above -

- On the day before the sale, check that any devices and web browsers and any other software you're using are all fully up to date. The last thing you want is to turn the computer on at 8:45am and find that it's decided that now is the perfect time to install a big update taking half an hour.

God yes.  Had that once, put one of my laptops out of commission

1 minute ago, Havors said:

Haha dont they have piss breaks?? food stops?  :D Too much bloody effort to coordinate that anyway.... but in theory.... 

Nope.  Loo on the coach as it's Nat Express.  They did a stop at Fleet Services on the run out of London, but just the one and they didn't dish out the tix until we were on the road again.

It's almost as if they've seen deviants like you coming dude :)

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

Nope.  Loo on the coach as it's Nat Express.  They did a stop at Fleet Services on the run out of London, but just the one and they didn't dish out the tix until we were on the road again.

Hahaha just asking for a friend.... ?

14 minutes ago, Quark said:

It's not National Express for the coach tickets, though, these are put on by See and are a different service. The coach drivers are legally obliged to stop en route and we always have on a See coach, sometimes for like 40 minutes at the service station. 

The coach ticket situation does result in some mad behaviour, though. People from Bristol buying tickets from Edinburgh or something stupid and having to get all the way up there, which sort of negates the eco aspect... I'm lucky being in London in that there are fuckloads of coaches to choose from (and you can choose your time, which you can't for most). 

Generally the advice here is if you are trying for a coach ticket, please intend to actually take the coach. Don't be a dick. If you book one from Edinburgh when you live in Exeter, you have taken that seat away from someone else who could have really used it. It's a bit of a ballache to have to carry less stuff, but you can always try to give some stuff to friends with cars and meet them at the site.

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's not National Express for the coach tickets, though, these are put on by See and are a different service. The coach drivers are legally obliged to stop en route and we always have on a See coach, sometimes for like 40 minutes at the service station. 

Could have sworn my coach package one was NE last year. Maybe I imagined that and it was an independent booked by See.  Entirely possible