Prepping for sales day, similar festival/event sold on seetickets?

Evilmonkeydan

32 minutes ago, Havors said:

What about if you had a plugin that read url changes or changes in the page elements/xml etc? 

So I take it you will let the page fully load after each refresh? The problem I had last year was I only ever had a white screen from 9am until 9.40am.... so manual or auto refreshing was useless for me haha 

You could use greasemonkey to bind to the page loaded event, and set a timer to refresh in 1 second after that, checking for the hold screen and if not playing a sound and firing an alert. The content on https://glastonbury.seetickets.com/content/busy is what you should look for.

If they change the hold screen last minute however it will fail

Edited by gsp8181

15 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm up for teaming up in theory but my preference is for the London coach sale so it needs to be a very specific subset! Failing that I'll be in for the free for all on the Sunday but potentially with other mates who aren't London based - don't know yet...

I'm also after the London coach sale and currently not teamed up with anyone, happy to team up with you if you like!

21 minutes ago, gsp8181 said:

You could use greasemonkey to bind to the page loaded event, and set a timer to refresh in 1 second after that, checking for the hold screen and if not playing a sound and firing an alert. The content on https://glastonbury.seetickets.com/content/busy is what you should look for.

If they change the hold screen last minute however it will fail

Yeah thats another risk... if they change any of the content. It's unlikely but still.... you would imagine there are parts of the content that would likely not change mind. 

How frequently would you need to refresh for the load balancer to think it could be a multi-hit software attempt? it's knowing if refreshing every 5 seconds would be too frequent.

Also, could you inspect the page source and change the automatic refreshing function to every 5 seconds? My theory is this could avoid multi-hit detection as the refresh comes from Seetickets itself. I guess the only danger is if a locally cached page (with these modifications) is created which could stop you getting to the booking page...

I did notice that on the Busy holding page the text is in a regular format again - last year after publicity of the Refreshinator application i'm sure the text was either embedded or an image. Does this mean we could use another solution to more easily track page changes this year? I'm not suggesting we use any software which unfairly gives us an advantage, but could be useful for getting desktop notifications if we get through. 

Edited by discgoesmic

I'm usually manually refreshing on my desktop and then have Firefox running the Check4change extension on my laptop and in the background on my desktop. Autorefreshes and then pings a snippet of Bowie when the highlighted text (normally a section of the holding queue blurb) has changed. The extension worked for me so many times. It will ping on occasion if the page times out but takes seconds to set back up again.

43 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

How frequently would you need to refresh for the load balancer to think it could be a multi-hit software attempt? it's knowing if refreshing every 5 seconds would be too frequent.

Also, could you inspect the page source and change the automatic refreshing function to every 5 seconds? My theory is this could avoid multi-hit detection as the refresh comes from Seetickets itself. I guess the only danger is if a locally cached page (with these modifications) is created which could stop you getting to the booking page...

I did notice that on the Busy holding page the text is in a regular format again - last year after publicity of the Refreshinator application i'm sure the text was either embedded or an image. Does this mean we could use another solution to more easily track page changes this year? I'm not suggesting we use any software which unfairly gives us an advantage, but could be useful for getting desktop notifications if we get through. 

It's been established that the trigger is more than 60 times in a minute (once per second). As for the text being embedded, did they actually embed it last year? or use an image? The 20 seconds actually counts down on screen I think so cant be an image etc... 

4 minutes ago, Havors said:

It's been established that the trigger is more than 60 times in a minute (once per second). As for the text being embedded, did they actually embed it last year? or use an image? The 20 seconds actually counts down on screen I think so cant be an image etc... 

The holding page here https://glastonbury.seetickets.com/content/busy does refresh every 20 seconds...but the countdown doesn't change...at least for me on Chrome that is...does anyone see it change?

4 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

The holding page here https://glastonbury.seetickets.com/content/busy does refresh every 20 seconds...but the countdown doesn't change...at least for me on Chrome that is...does anyone see it change?

I have seen pictures posted previously with a different value... i.e 17 seconds as though it counts down when its active. 

The picture Billum posted had a different value... I think the one that is displayed now is just a place holder page replaced by an active one with twitter feed etc when live?? 

Edited by Havors

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

I have seen pictures posted previously with a different value... i.e 17 seconds as though it counts down when its active. 

Yeah it used to change but I've got a feeling it stopped doing so at the last sale...which is when I think See added the 1s refresh rate limit....there are posts of mine somewhere telling folks about it before the last sale in 2016.

3 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Yeah it used to change but I've got a feeling it stopped doing so at the last sale...which is when I think See added the 1s refresh rate limit....there are posts of mine somewhere telling folks about it before the last sale in 2016.

Interesting. I cant verify it because I only got a white screen in 2016 haha!

6 minutes ago, Havors said:

Interesting. I cant verify it because I only got a white screen in 2016 haha!

The white screen thing was a bu**er to many.  Never fully cleared up but *thought* to be due to a rogue cookie being issued which directed  requests to a load balancer which wasn't offering sessions.....clearing browser cache/cookies and restarting the browser cleared it for some I think.

2 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

The white screen thing was a bu**er to many.  Never fully cleared up but *thought* to be due to a rogue cookie being issued which directed  requests to a load balancer which wasn't offering sessions.....clearing browser cache/cookies and restarting the browser cleared it for some I think.

Yep I heard that :) after the sale.... luckily my brother got through while I had a white screen. 

1 hour ago, discgoesmic said:

No the content of the page did change but it was not an image. Images would interfere with disabled peoples attempts to buy tickets through screen readers and the like, this could be classed as discrimination so they would steer clear of it. Also if the publicity was solely from Somerset Live, it's not really publicity.

The 'multi hit' is flagged for having more than 60 refreshes in 60 seconds. You can try it now on their website as the blocker is active. Every 5 seconds would discount everyone who refreshes.

If you inspect the page to change the function, it would only last until the page refreshes.

The multi hit software attempts they are more interested in stopping is people using commercial bots that are decimating many gig sales at the moment, not a few random people using an iphone app.

22 minutes ago, gsp8181 said:

No the content of the page did change but it was not an image. Images would interfere with disabled peoples attempts to buy tickets through screen readers and the like, this could be classed as discrimination so they would steer clear of it. Also if the publicity was solely from Somerset Live, it's not really publicity.

The 'multi hit' is flagged for having more than 60 refreshes in 60 seconds. You can try it now on their website as the blocker is active. Every 5 seconds would discount everyone who refreshes.

If you inspect the page to change the function, it would only last until the page refreshes.

The multi hit software attempts they are more interested in stopping is people using commercial bots that are decimating many gig sales at the moment, not a few random people using an iphone app.

Interesting reply, thank you. I saw in a report years ago that they use Riverbed Stingray load balancers which interested me as I had some exposure in a previous career.

Fingers crossed all goes well on ticket day!

3 hours ago, Havors said:

The picture Billum posted had a different value... I think the one that is displayed now is just a place holder page replaced by an active one with twitter feed etc when live?? 

yes the one I posted was a screenshot during a sale, and was from a few years back so I'm thinking they've now updated to use https://glastonbury.seetickets.com/content/busy, which, although it is text and not a graphic, doesn't count down (and doesn't have the twitter feed)

7 hours ago, gsp8181 said:

You can pay on a credit card in the UK now

Seem to have missed that somewhere. Where does it say that? If so that is a change from recent years.

As it is I'm bricking it as I will be in an hotel in Johannesburg on Ticket Sale day. I've e-mailed them and asked if I can use a hard wired PC from 7.45am (time difference) and they have wifi which I can access through my tablet anyway.

I'm on 17 in a row and really would like to make it 18 (and 19!)

4 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Why would they do that? The countdown was useful! And this 1sec rule is stressful without a countdown ?

4 hours ago, parsonjack said:

A rogue cookie issues by the seetickets site? Do you think it's a good idea just to clear cache before you start anyway or just wait for the white screen of death?

1 hour ago, airwaves said:

Seem to have missed that somewhere. Where does it say that? If so that is a change from recent years.

As it is I'm bricking it as I will be in an hotel in Johannesburg on Ticket Sale day. I've e-mailed them and asked if I can use a hard wired PC from 7.45am (time difference) and they have wifi which I can access through my tablet anyway.

I'm on 17 in a row and really would like to make it 18 (and 19!)

We are in a similar position, fly to Tokyo on the 6th landing at 10am on the 7th. Tickets will go on sale at 5pm over there. Hoping to have tickets sorted on 4th though, fingers crossed. 

10 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Why would they do that? The countdown was useful! And this 1sec rule is stressful without a countdown ?

A rogue cookie issues by the seetickets site? Do you think it's a good idea just to clear cache before you start anyway or just wait for the white screen of death?

Yes...I think I would recommend clearing cache and cookies prior to the sale....you never know what's hanging around in there that you don't want....although as most cookies have a limited lifespan anything issued by See would have likely timed out by now

I’ve read every page of this and my head is blown - so I’m sorry if this is a really stupid question.  

We will be trying for four tickets, there will be four of us trying but we’ll all be doing it from the same place.  We will have access to two internet providers (BT and Virgin I believe) one of which is routinely faster than the other.  We’ll also have access to  4g.  Would the best system be for two of us to be attached to one IP each and to refresh at just under once per second, one to 4g and then the fourth to mop our anxious brows? Or should we send 4th person to the nearest Internet cafe? Or is there any other way of doing things that makes more sense.  (Please remember that I am a complete IT imbecile)

5 minutes ago, mandolin said:

I’ve read every page of this and my head is blown - so I’m sorry if this is a really stupid question.  

We will be trying for four tickets, there will be four of us trying but we’ll all be doing it from the same place.  We will have access to two internet providers (BT and Virgin I believe) one of which is routinely faster than the other.  We’ll also have access to  4g.  Would the best system be for two of us to be attached to one IP each and to refresh at just under once per second, one to 4g and then the fourth to mop our anxious brows? Or should we send 4th person to the nearest Internet cafe? Or is there any other way of doing things that makes more sense.  (Please remember that I am a complete IT imbecile)

I'd suggest 2 of you on Virgin (1 On Chrome, 1 on Firefox) 3rd on BT, 4th Tethered on 4G.

• Upvote 1