Prepping for sales day, similar festival/event sold on seetickets?

Evilmonkeydan

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I personally use chrome....I've not failed yet. Defo avoid wireless that morning.

Definitely. My wireless is flaky enough as it is. Can you imagine the pain if you got through and it dropped out as you pressed "Pay". Argh! Can't remember what browser I've been successful with. Doubt it makes much difference. I'd been the person who got through to get the tickets for the last five years until 2017. 2017 nowt. Just a white screen. Thankfully a mate got through and ran me to check as he had another booking page open. We managed to screw one of the reg numbers up on the first go but thankfully we made it. Far too bloody close for comfort that was!

2 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Reboot as a last resort.  Try clearing browser cache, cookies etc and closing/reopening the browser first.

Ah yeah that was it. Cheers. Via (on chrome) going into the history bit and resetting it? Sorry for dunce questions. 

Some great stuff on this thread :-)

Almost all of it over my head. On Friday I was set up to buy tickets via ticket master for a 1600 capacity gig that was always going to sell out quick.

2 laptops set up in advance of the 9am sale. Started f5ing around 08:50. One straight off my home WiFi the other I had set up through vpn. 

Both laptops had a tickets go on sale countdown clock but here’s the thing.... the one via vpn was always 4 seconds behind the other one. 

Got me thinking, if it was the G sale and I had only went with the one device via the vpn, would I have been giving everyone a 4 second start ? Obviously that would be a no no. 

Anyone know why this was a thing? I had thought at first the times on the laptops would maybe have been different but that doesn’t make sense. I was refreshing both but the clock on the vpn one was consistently 4 seconds behind ?

Anywayz, the gig was sold out ( on both ) at 08:59 :-(

Any reason for this that somebody could explain ?

8 hours ago, parsonjack said:

'clicking refresh while you are on the 20 second refresh warning page is a big no no... it resets the counter'

If I'm reading this comment correctly, in that you should not refresh the 'busy' page, then it's essentially incorrect.  It is true that if you exceed the 1s refresh rate, which throws you the 'busy' page, and you continue to refresh over the 1s rate, then the busy page will stay with you until your refresh rate drops below 1s.

If however your refresh rate is below 1s and you get the busy page, because the system is in fact busy, then you should most definitely refresh it and not wait 20s for it to refresh itself.

Aaah ok, it's the same as the holding page....I thought maybe there was another page as I definitely always refresh on the 20 sec holding page (although as I never get anywhere, I thought for a horrible moment that maybe that was why!)

I usually wait until the timer shows at least 19 or sometimes 18 seconds....just so I know the page is working rather than because I knew refreshing quicker screwed you over. Presumably that would be sufficient to be adhering to the 1 second rule?

7 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I personally use chrome....I've not failed yet. Defo avoid wireless that morning.

Oh yeh, shit...I should probably buy a router cable. Although I think that would involve sittlling and refreshing in my housemate's room and maybe he won't appreciate that so early in the morning on a Sunday....unless of course I convince him to come (the promise of Madonna might actually do it for him even though it definitely doesn't for me)

10 hours ago, semmtexx said:

Definitely. My wireless is flaky enough as it is. Can you imagine the pain if you got through and it dropped out as you pressed "Pay". Argh! Can't remember what browser I've been successful with. Doubt it makes much difference. I'd been the person who got through to get the tickets for the last five years until 2017. 2017 nowt. Just a white screen. Thankfully a mate got through and ran me to check as he had another booking page open. We managed to screw one of the reg numbers up on the first go but thankfully we made it. Far too bloody close for comfort that was!

I got through to pay last time and it went to a black page, clicked back and same again....3rd time it finally processed.

2 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Aaah ok, it's the same as the holding page....I thought maybe there was another page as I definitely always refresh on the 20 sec holding page (although as I never get anywhere, I thought for a horrible moment that maybe that was why!)

I usually wait until the timer shows at least 19 or sometimes 18 seconds....just so I know the page is working rather than because I knew refreshing quicker screwed you over. Presumably that would be sufficient to be adhering to the 1 second rule?

Always refresh the page as soon as the 20 comes....I rarely wait until 19 because you know if you've seen it once it's fine. For every refresh you miss someone else got your ticket.

5 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Oh yeh, shit...I should probably buy a router cable. Although I think that would involve sittlling and refreshing in my housemate's room and maybe he won't appreciate that so early in the morning on a Sunday....unless of course I convince him to come (the promise of Madonna might actually do it for him even though it definitely doesn't for me)

Or you buy a *very long* router cable? They're not that expensive even if you get a 20m cable and run it out of his room into yours...

14 hours ago, parsonjack said:

'clicking refresh while you are on the 20 second refresh warning page is a big no no... it resets the counter'

If I'm reading this comment correctly, in that you should not refresh the 'busy' page, then it's essentially incorrect.  It is true that if you exceed the 1s refresh rate, which throws you the 'busy' page, and you continue to refresh over the 1s rate, then the busy page will stay with you until your refresh rate drops below 1s.

If however your refresh rate is below 1s and you get the busy page, because the system is in fact busy, then you should most definitely refresh it and not wait 20s for it to refresh itself.

Many thanks for all your really helpful stuff ParsonJack!

Just one thing bleeping in my brain - is the 'busy page' that you get if you refresh more than 60 times in a minute (which you're stuck with if you keep that rate up) *exactly the same* in appearance as the proper 'busy page' that will let you through on an available slot to buy tickets? If so, then we could get caught up in this dead-end busy page inadvertently without knowing it, if by accident something in our setup refreshes a bit too often?

I.e. both look like this?

image.thumb.png.3d84bec2a4cb21246330fa2839974f3d.png

34 minutes ago, lazzareo said:

That's it...I can't read this thread anymore...I'm a techy but mind is officially blown and can't take anything else in.  On T-day I will have 3 devices setup in a semi circle and operating 1 browser on each and will refresh each device 1 at a time in a clockwise motion and live in hope.

I’ll have my 3 devices set up in a triangular shape.....

2 hours ago, lazzareo said:

That's it...I can't read this thread anymore...I'm a techy but mind is officially blown and can't take anything else in.  On T-day I will have 3 devices setup in a semi circle and operating 1 browser on each and will refresh each device 1 at a time in a clockwise motion and live in hope.

Clockwise?  I'll be in Sydney so should I go anti-clockwise instead? 

20 hours ago, parsonjack said:

It is true that if you exceed the 1s refresh rate, which throws you the 'busy' page, and you continue to refresh over the 1s rate, then the busy page will stay with you until your refresh rate drops below 1s

9 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Always refresh the page as soon as the 20 comes....I rarely wait until 19 because you know if you've seen it once it's fine. For every refresh you miss someone else got your ticket.

Hmmmm yeh, that also makes sense.....but if I click refresh while it's still on 20 secs doesn't that mean I could in theory end up refreshing more than once a second????

:huh:

58 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Hmmmm yeh, that also makes sense.....but if I click refresh while it's still on 20 secs doesn't that mean I could in theory end up refreshing more than once a second????

:huh:

No because you'll see the page refresh. As long as you see that press it again....chances are your fingers vibrate and move too much if you get through to worry about accidentally refreshing lol.

20 hours ago, billum said:

Many thanks for all your really helpful stuff ParsonJack!

Just one thing bleeping in my brain - is the 'busy page' that you get if you refresh more than 60 times in a minute (which you're stuck with if you keep that rate up) *exactly the same* in appearance as the proper 'busy page' that will let you through on an available slot to buy tickets? If so, then we could get caught up in this dead-end busy page inadvertently without knowing it, if by accident something in our setup refreshes a bit too often?

I.e. both look like this?

image.thumb.png.3d84bec2a4cb21246330fa2839974f3d.png

No prob!

The page is the same, although there is no Twitter feed on it at present.  Getting inadvertently caught is therefore a risk unless you can be sure your refresh rate is below the limit.....how to do that is something I'm struggling with myself. 

Don't forget you can view the page now if you open www.glastonbury.seetickets.com and F5 it 60+ times in a minute.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

No prob!

The page is the same, although there is no Twitter feed on it at present.  Getting inadvertently caught is therefore a risk unless you can be sure your refresh rate is below the limit.....how to do that is something I'm struggling with myself. 

Don't forget you can view the page now if you open www.glastonbury.seetickets.com and F5 it 60+ times in a minute.

Checked this....it's actually different.....this is what you get....

Screenshot_2018-09-17-08-50-28.png