Prepping for sales day, similar festival/event sold on seetickets?

Evilmonkeydan

Just now, balti-pie said:

I suspect that’s horseshit - the registration is all done via the seetickets thing, so until we all have to re-register en masse I don’t think it’s shipping sideways to any other ticket company. Seetickets have it reasonably pain free nowadays too 

hope so ... they post a lot of crap on there !! excuse the language !! 

• Upvote 1

On 9/3/2018 at 6:17 PM, balti-pie said:

I suspect that’s horseshit - the registration is all done via the seetickets thing, so until we all have to re-register en masse I don’t think it’s shipping sideways to any other ticket company. Seetickets have it reasonably pain free nowadays too 

Before ticket information for the 2019 Festival is released, we’re asking everyone with a registration photograph over two years old to update their registration photo, as digital photo technology has improved considerably since we first introduced registration for Glastonbury tickets in 2007.

It is now easier than ever to supply a high quality photo, so if your existing registration photo is more than two years old, not of passport standard, or is no longer a good likeness please update your photo now, to help us keep the Festival secure, and reduce waiting times for you at the Festival gates. Please ensure your updated photo is submitted by Friday 21st September 2018. Failure to provide an adequate photo may result in delayed entry to the Festival.

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/tickets/

They aren't moving away from seetickets though, i'd put money on that

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:15 PM, Hugh Jass said:

I'm having nightmares about not getting one in the main sale as there's the very real possibility that I'll be running the London marathon on resale day (last two time the resale has taken place that day).

I'll also be running the London Marathon but I think it's a week later than usual next year; 28th

44 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Looks like Seetickets may be starting to prepare for the sale....DNS records have all moved to different IP's this morning...I'm guessing they're testing DR failover and they'll move back tonight....

Ooh, came so close to breaking out "it's happening!" on reading that. Exercising a smidge of control though

22 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Anyone know if you're more likely to get through to buy tickets if you are overseas? Just wondering if using an application to access Seetickets via an ip address in another country would boost my chances?

No you wouldn't have any more chance, it's an urban myth. Implementing such as system would just create a lot more overhead on seetickets servers for absolutely no benefit whatsoever. It would just increase your latency ever so slightly, but this would effectively reduce your chances by up to something like 10%. It could also trigger their antispam if loads of people were using the VPN you're on. You're better off also having a tethered phone connected to another device.

However, if the site locks up like in 2016 where you just get a white screen, there will be an advantage to connecting to a VPN to change your service provider because of the way routing works

Edited by gsp8181

On 8/9/2018 at 4:52 PM, Pear_Cider said:

Changed contracts a few months ago then discovered that I no longer have the ability to hotspot...it's now an "add-on" :(

If you have an android phone you can get pdanet which can let you tether without dobbing you in to your provider. You can also try to use an unlocked mobile broadband dongle (but not one sold by your provider)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gsp8181 said:

If you have an android phone you can get pdanet which can let you tether without dobbing you in to your provider. You can also try to use an unlocked mobile broadband dongle (but not one sold by your provider)

Ah, I do have an android. Thanks for that gsp, I'll look into it :D

On 7/31/2018 at 1:29 PM, The All Round Ball :| said:

Ive always had tickets got for me but this year im in charge of getting tickets for me and my mates. Any tips? Like should i refresh pages or sit in a queue and wait? Not 100% sure so advice would be perfect :) 

The one time I've failed to get tickets is the year they changed the booking system and introduced the "you are held in a queue, this page will refresh in 20 seconds blah blah" notice. I blame my husband (IT geek but Glasto ticket-buying newbie) for making me sit and wait. Forget it.

Press F5 like a demon (but no faster than 1 per sec or it'll think you're a bot) until you get the booking page. If it then hangs after you've entered all your registration details, DO NOT PRESS F5 AGAIN, press the back button, then re-submit. Keep doing it until it goes through. This can happen at the final page too, when you've entered your card details - you don't want to lose those tickets at this point of the proceedings (my order for a friend failed to complete for the 2016 festival at this stage)!

Good luck.

On 9/11/2018 at 7:41 AM, parsonjack said:

Looks like Seetickets may be starting to prepare for the sale....DNS records have all moved to different IP's this morning...I'm guessing they're testing DR failover and they'll move back tonight....

Hmm....See have not yet moved their IP's back to the previous range....DR tests don't usually least more than 24 hours....could be some Production system updates going on then....I'll keep an eye on it.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Hmm....See have not yet moved their IP's back to the previous range....DR tests don't usually least more than 24 hours....could be some Production system updates going on then....I'll keep an eye on it.

167.98.14.2** are load balancers/elastic IPs from the looks of it, they are taking resilience seriously this year

4 hours ago, gsp8181 said:

167.98.14.2** are load balancers/elastic IPs from the looks of it, they are taking resilience seriously this year

It's much the same as previous years...round robin DNS to 3 load balancers on public IPs.  The IPs you're seeing at the moment only appeared 2 days ago after months on a different range altogether...hence my assumption that the new ones are/were a DR environment for a short term test or to allow Prod updates.

Only big difference this time is that they appear to have shifted hosting off Virgin and onto Exponential-e.....previous Virgin hosting also had Prod/DR ranges which they swapped over to on a monthly basis....but only for 24hrs or so.

Not an IT whizz like you guys... am I right in thinking if I have normal internet explorer, chrome & then the internet connected through my Remote Desktop to work that will mean I’m on 3 different IP addresses? 

(Or have I completely that wrong and embarrassed myself) ???

5 minutes ago, CeriG said:

Not an IT whizz like you guys... am I right in thinking if I have normal internet explorer, chrome & then the internet connected through my Remote Desktop to work that will mean I’m on 3 different IP addresses? 

It's actually more difficult to answer than you might expect.

At the most basic level, an IP address is per-computer so essentially in that context you'll have 2 - 1 for your home PC used by both IE and Chrome, and one for your work PC.

However, where it gets very complicated is that multiple computers using the same network can share public IP addresses - so for example if you have 2 computers set up at home and a tablet all connected to the same wifi, then as far as the seetickets servers are concerned they'll probably all appear as being from the same IP address. The same is possible if multiple people are connecting via your work network but that depends how the organisation has configured it.

Basically, I'd say don't worry about it too much. Shit like that gets massively overanalysed on here, and isn't nearly as important or relevant as it may seem. I think unique browser sessions are a far more important/useful factor.

11 hours ago, CeriG said:

No. They would all be on the same IP address.... either your home IP address of your work IP address. You need multiple devices not browsers to get different IP address. 

For example: 1 Laptop on home internet, 1 Laptop on RDP work internet, 1 mobile 3/4G connection would give you 3 different IP addresses. Which is what i will be doing. 

18 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

although - in theory, at least - it'll make naff-all difference to having just one IP address.

It does... you have 3 chances of connecting as opposed to 1..... they use IP rate limiting so 3 browsers on 1 IP is pointless... but 3 IP's have 3 times the chance of getting a connection.

Unless you mean in the grand scheme of things though yeah haha it is not much more of a chance in real terms :)

1 minute ago, Havors said:

they use IP rate limiting

To date, nobody has found any evidence to suggest that's true. And it's incredibly unlikely given that it'd, for example, effectively screw over anyone using a network that uses NAT and/or a proxy server which has multiple devices trying for tickets. So students on their University/College wifi would have virtually no chance of tickets as you'd potentially have 10,000 to 40,000 people using a single public IP amongst other scenarios..