Prepping for sales day, similar festival/event sold on seetickets?

Evilmonkeydan

On 7/31/2018 at 12:03 PM, Zoo Music Girl said:

Me too - and I actually hadn't registered that it was only two months away! Yikes.

I hope they announce the dates soon - I really need to be lucky on the Thursday coach sale, partly because I do want to go by coach but mainly because it looks like on Sunday I'll be in the middle of the countryside at my boyfriend's parents' house again, the scene of my last great defeat Glasto ticketwise... absolutely white-screened on all devices for 2016. 

Yeah I'm at my girlfriends sisters wedding on the Saturday in the South West and whilst I can't say for sure there won't be signal, I'm willing to bet there won't...

19 hours ago, parsonjack said:

I have new information.....

It looks like Seetickets have moved their servers to a new hosting provider and rather than hosted on Virgin IP's they are now on Exponential-e IP''s.  I'd guess new hardware, more processor etc too.

Whether that increases or decrease the risk of a crash under demand on ticket day is anyone's guess.....

I may be wrong but I recall reading somewhere they moved servers from Virgin in 2016... i.e before the last ticket sale?? I remember someone trying to ping the server and getting nothing. No idea how accurate that info was though. 

Also something about them now using IP rate limiting which I think has been covered in your research. 

On 7/31/2018 at 10:50 PM, Quark said:
  • If you're in a group, have a whatsapp chat going but keep chat limited to success only so you're not trying to double up.  Can't be doing with "I'm going nuts here LOL" flashing up while I'm trying to enter a reg number. If they can't control themselves, get better friends.

Great post Quark, and this point made me laugh. I’ve never understood it. It’s like the occasional post you’ll get here during crunch time that says something like: “Anyone else had any luck yet?”

Dude!! Do you think any of us are seriously checking on chat threads and are going to post a reply like: “Not here, no. I’m trying my best, though. Hopefully I’ll get lucky. I really do hope to be there next year. Especially after the fallow year. I love Glasto. Anyway, better get back to it, I suppose!”  

Who are these people?!

53 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

I was told “ in private browsing “ hides/helps with the IP address thing , not sure how much truth there is in that .

the only success we have had ( 2015 & 2016 ) was on A mobile phone on 4g , despite various devices in home and Remote Desktop to my office.

It doesn't affect your IP address. It gives you another set of cookies, so you get another independent session, like trying in a different browser.

I usually use it, but won't bother this year.

On 7/31/2018 at 1:50 PM, Quark said:
  • Don't get smashed on Saturday night.  If getting a ticket is important you can cope for a night without booze. 
  • Complete focus. If you've got kids, other half, mates etc, lock them out.  You don't have time to be distracted. If people are trying to help, they need to be drilled to perfection or they'll get in the way. Think Full Metal Jacket. Mrs Q knows the deal and leaves me to it. EDIT - and pets.  Given the havoc my cats can wreak on a conference call I don't want the little gits anywhere near me.
  • Get setup beforehand.  I want all devices on the ticket page a good 10 minutes before zero hour. Rushing is not your friend. Power supplies plugged in, batteries charged and all that jazz.
  • Reg numbers and postcodes either ready to copy and paste, and a copy pinned to the wall in front of you. And have your card number ready in big print as well. Getting to the ticket screen is only half the battle; no point getting through if you're then dicking about trying to remember which jeans your wallet is in.
  • If you're in a group, have a whatsapp chat going but keep chat limited to success only so you're not trying to double up.  Can't be doing with "I'm going nuts here LOL" flashing up while I'm trying to enter a reg number. If they can't control themselves, get better friends.
  • Multiple devices across a mix of LAN, WiFi and 4G, but no more than you can handle. I work on the basis that I need to be able to see all screens in peripheral vision in case one strikes lucky.
  • Line devices up so you can hit refresh, move to the next, refresh, move to the next etc. About 5-10 seconds to get through the cycle and return to first device.
  • Sat in the middle on a swivel chair like Captain James T. Kirk is a good way to go.

Job done.

No fucking spaces in the god damn card number! Missed a few pages but that has haunted me and needed to say it. Probably already been addressed but bears repeating. In closing the gaps a number got lost. Fuck that shit! 

Rest of this thread is mostly... De fuk???? Second to fourth page mainly not read the rest. 

I thought I was sorted with my ticket approach until bloody double-hat started going on about Azure. Now I'm convinced I'm missing a trick. I've glanced at the service, but it all seems quite complicated. Any tips on where to start?

I do like the idea of having one screen dedicated to my frantic F5 punishment and another running in the background on the standard refresh page.

6 hours ago, kalifire said:

I thought I was sorted with my ticket approach until bloody double-hat started going on about Azure. Now I'm convinced I'm missing a trick. I've glanced at the service, but it all seems quite complicated. Any tips on where to start?

I do like the idea of having one screen dedicated to my frantic F5 punishment and another running in the background on the standard refresh page.

I've been using it for years and have decided to set aside a couple of days to work it out.  BTW, I'm only going for Azure specifically because I have some monthly credits as a developer that I rarely use.  I would expect there are simpler/cheaper ways of getting a load of virtual machines to use..

For the infrastructure peeps who know about these things - is there a chance that IP Addresses in the Azure range might be blacklisted to prevent bot-like attempts to game the system? 

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

For the infrastructure peeps who know about these things - is there a chance that IP Addresses in the Azure range might be blacklisted to prevent bot-like attempts to game the system? 

My knowledge on this is zero to none but there are likely to be blacklisted IP's from known threat vectors and sources.  I'd be surprised if those included Azure addresses in general thougj..any bot activity being handled by rate limiting in the main. 

Incredibly nervous already. 2016 I somehow managed to get through on my old laptop with student WiFi, then last year I was again successful on 4G for my phone. 

To speed up the payment details page, can anyone remember if PayPal is accepted? 

22 minutes ago, Jcatley said:

Incredibly nervous already. 2016 I somehow managed to get through on my old laptop with student WiFi, then last year I was again successful on 4G for my phone. 

To speed up the payment details page, can anyone remember if PayPal is accepted? 

pretty sure its not 

23 minutes ago, Jcatley said:

Dont think so. Website last year said... Debit and Credit card for UK purchases only and Credit card for purchases abroad only. 

38 minutes ago, Jcatley said:

Nope, credit and debit cards only as above.

Last year I just used a phone on 4G and a laptop on my WiFi as I knew they would have different IPs. If I was to get a second laptop and install a VPN on it, would that really give me a new IP or would the seetickets servers see through my trickery?

I'm 2 for 2 on buying tickets so I'm pretty confident that it'll all be fine but I still want to maximise my chances.

11 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Last year I just used a phone on 4G and a laptop on my WiFi as I knew they would have different IPs. If I was to get a second laptop and install a VPN on it, would that really give me a new IP or would the seetickets servers see through my trickery?

I'm 2 for 2 on buying tickets so I'm pretty confident that it'll all be fine but I still want to maximise my chances.

Seetickets may have blacklisted a bunch of the public VPN ips or the know IP ranges used by certain clients... No way to know until someone tries :)

Im going to use my work VPN to get a legit second private IP, maybe use one of the others they have as we have offices all over Europe. 

11 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I don't think past success has much of an impact on future success with regards to tickets. Plenty here have been successful for years and then miss out. 

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I don't think past success has much of an impact on future success with regards to tickets. Plenty here have been successful for years and then miss out. 

There's only room for so much pessimism on this board.  You're treading on @The Nal's toes

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

There's only room for so much pessimism on this board.  You're treading on @The Nal's toes

We're all doomed, doomed I tell you...

No, I am trying to be positive. But there is a kind of complacency that can set in when you've been successful for x amount of years, when luck is definitely a huge factor (that and having a big group, which I sadly now lack!).

Another way to boost your chances is to go for Thursday travel coach tickets. 5 Glasto's down and never failed. I've never done a festival on a wednesday before so don't particularly feel like I'm missing out (well, apart from Glasto 2016... but spent all day stuck on the coach in that bloody traffic, so will never speak of it again). Added bonus - you still feel fresh(ish) on the sunday.

On 7/31/2018 at 8:19 PM, Zoo Music Girl said:

Another quick question: is the coach sale normally at 6 or 7? I feel like it's been both before. Wondering whether to do at home as more devices or at work as better internet speed (presumably). 

Coach sale was 6 last time as I took advantage of the empty office at work. And yeah, I feel like it may have been later in previous years... but that might be because I used to finish work earlier

Yeah that's not a bad shout. I always go Wednesday or bust and obviously they go first. Going straight for Thursday might put you in the minority. I do love the Wednesday so though :(

I think what gets me about that too though is that it costs the same price for a whole day less. It's pretty expensive these days as it is (I know, I know, you get a lot for your money bit hopefully you take my point). I do wonder about the impact staggered pricing would have ie. Pay slightly more for a Wednesday ticket. Probably none! :D

2 hours ago, Diamond24 said:

Is there a limit to the amount of luggage you can take on the coaches? 

In theory yes but in practice I guess it depends on the coach driver...? There was a ruling against trolleys a year or two ago that caused uproar here. In the end they couldn't enforce it but also you have to consider that there is only so much space on the coach so you shouldn't really take the piss. A couple of items each in the hold (tent, airbed, crate) seems to do it. Also bear in mind you have to be able to carry everything across the site on the other end...