Music aside, what is your favourite day?

Is there a certain day where the festival hits its peak or provides that feeling you've been looking forward to for a year (or two)?

For me it could be the Wednesday, after the usual hell of lugging the too many things I brought with me after vowing to pack light and save my back this year, when everything is set up and I have a day wondering round getting tanked and eating one of everything. While also showing friends who have never been just how effing massive the place is.

Could also be the Friday, when after two days of entertaining ourselves I'm finally ready to check out some of the bands I've been checking out/ hyping up for the last six months. And we start the days music with an Other Stage opener I invariably find boring but still gets me in the mood for the weekend ahead, and the days start to go a lot faster.

Feel free to be as wistful or romantic as you like.

Also love Wednesday and Friday before the acts start. 

One of my favourite moments is when on the coach going towards the site and you get a glimpse of the festival tents & stages etc over the horizon. It suddenly makes it all a bit real! 

All of them.  Every day offers something different and they're all amazing.

Wednesday - the euphoria of returning and walking around, catching up with people and checking out the changes

Thursday - the first stirrings of acts around the site, the anticipation of what's to come

Friday - the release of the first full day, bands everywhere to watch, main stages alive, Friday night madness

Saturday - in the thick of it, two days still to go, lost in the middle of it all

Sunday - the determination to get as much as possible out of the final day, seeing the last of the bands on your list, and the build up to the finale

Monday - proper shower, proper bed, starting to catalogue all the wondrous shit you've seen and done.

Preach.

• Like 2

Saturday is the best. You know what it's all about at that point, everyone's a bit looopy, you're pissed off your third can, feels like it will never end.

Never really understood the reasoning for earlier days knowing it's all to come, on Saturday it's literally there, happening. You've established your personal jokes for a lifetime, even the newbies have an idea of where they're going, Saturday of Glastonbury is the peak of my year.

• Like 1

Wednesday has always been special for me, especially in the 90s because most people didn't turn up until Thursday (the Thursday night traffic cues used to be hideous). Getting in on Wednesday is a lot harder these days but it's probably still my favourite day. I love the atmosphere, people are happy to bimble around and aren't rushing to stages etc. 

• Like 2

Wednesday & Thursday for me...

Wednesday is always the messiest... total euphoria of being in the festival and you just let loose, have to force yourself to go get a couple of hours sleep when your still at the stone circle at 8am... 

Thursday you can really explore and not have to worry about missing any of your fave bands etc... and you know you still have 3 days of great music to look forward to...

Fri/Sat are just what they are... see great music do some more exploring and enjoy what you can...

Sunday I start to get sad its coming to an end and wonder where the hell did the last 4 days vanish to... 

Then for the next few weeks have the pure unadulterated full blown festival blues... and think about doing another festival to get your fix. 

Tuesday night camper-van field is good but Wednesday when we get through the gates and go explore the new additions and familiarise ourselves with the old ones cannot be beat, feels like coming home to a house party with all your friends, where you dont have to worry if someone is going to ruin the carpet.

• Like 1

I love the efests meet on the Wednesday evening. A few hours spent in the company of the great and the good of this parish. Every year it's like a reunion, hooking up with folk that you've known for years, yet only spend a short time with them once a year :D Next year will be especially good (ticket gods permitting!) as it will have been two years since we all got shitfaced together!!!

Wednesday for me, from the moment I come over the hill on the A37 and catch the first view of the Tor, to standing in the queue chatting to randoms to setting up camp and sitting with a cold one to having that first bimble. Everything about the Wednesday is magical.

Unless it’s pissing down.

They are obviously all the best days. Your worst day at Glastonbury is still better than any other day you’d have.

For me though, there is something about the Friday.

Wednesday is only marred by the “where will we find a space to pitch” anxiety.

Thursday, by the evening when I’ve had my wander I’m ready for it to all begin.

Friday...it begins!! I can start seeing the bands I’ve been excited to see on those stages! Bliss. Euphoria. Living my best life.

Saturday. Fucked it.

Sunday, being careful because of previous day feels.

Monday. I hate real life. I can’t do it.

Wed and Thurs. Wed for the "I'm all set up now and just got everything to look forward to" feel. Trip to cider bus, Brothers, "Glasto roar" in the evening. Turn up to meet pissed again. Annoy Scot and Neil. Early bands and all the little regular returns around Green Futures on the Thurs. Toad Hall, Neuf, Small World. Quality.

Edited by Pinhead

I'm there for Friday to Sunday, for the music.

But the best day is Thursday. That's when I really enjoy the splendour of this pop-up city. No pressure to be anywhere on time, we wander. Its also the only time the six of us (seven next time) spend the whole day together as we have a clear protocol that nobody has to follow the group.

For me, it starts the moment I journey somewhere. Whether it’s a taxi to the bus station for the coach at 6am in the morning or we’re packing the car up. It’s more of an anticaption. So I guess Wednesday is my favourite day!

Knowing that, despite everyone’s real life jobs and pressures. Everyone leaves that behind. Everyone is mostly happy, chatty and friendly. 

Wednesday and Thursday for me.

Love the feeling you get on a Wednesday once you're in and set-up.  Off for a wander round and a (good) few cold pints before heading to Green Futures, usually some decent bands to see later on at night.

Thursdays usually start with a hangover but that's forgotten after a decent breakfast and a few drinks.  The Smyths and Ultimate Power at Williams Green is a must before seeing what the night has to offer.

Roll on 2019 (fingers crossed).

Each day is amazing in it's own way, for me. If I had to choose though, I'd go for:

Wednesday

• The excitement of waking up super early, getting to the festival site and joining the queue. The sheer adrenaline of reaching that moment you've been fantasising about since you left the farm at the end of the last one. All the plotting, planning, buying, organising, studying the line ups, the excited chatter, the eFests banter hype machine... it's all been a prelude to this moment: early as fuck, heavy bag on your back, staring at the fence containing the best five days of your year, surrounded by strangers enjoying the very same collective experience. This. Is. Fucking. It.

• The walk in. The wristband, the programme, the lanyard, the juxtaposition of familiarity with the unknown quantity of what's about to happen in this Somerset valley. All wrapped up in your sheer love for everything to do with this place.

• That first can of whatever tickles you. I always wait until I pick the spot and set up camp. I've found it's a great idea to help out people setting up around you if you're arriving at roughly the same time - a perfect way to build rapport and get to know neighbours. After that, I'll either open a can with them, or trudge up the hill with a couple, and lay back in the inevitable sunshine, taking it all in.

• Exploring. Wednesday and Thursdays are perfect for Green Futures and the healing fields, so I focus there but also bimble around, and try to brave the eFests meet (which is brilliant but I'm an introvert so I've only been once).

• The only slight downside to Wednesday is a slight tinge of loneliness. My partner and cats are on the other side of the world, so while it's actually a treat to have a couple of weeks of blissful independence, it's also nice to share those memories (I'm trying to talk her into coming over with me in 2020). Being introverted can make striking up conversations a bit difficult as well, so I always tend to feel this experience of having 135,000 new best friends and all the talk of random chats with strangers escapes me.

Friday

• You've already had a couple of days of awe and wonder in a city built just for you but surrounded by the beauty of Somerset, and the only thing that could possible make it better is three days straight of world class music, arts and creativity, all the time, all around you. And that's what Friday delivers. It's when it all comes alive and makes sense.

• The line up kicks into top gear, and you gloriously throw 70% of those plans you thought hard and sweated over late into many nights, straight out of the window with a huge grin on your face. Holding back a couple of artists each day you know you'll definitely see, the rest is now a giddy mess of random discoveries, explorations, experiments and drunken ambles into fields you weren't planning on visiting only to find they contain one of your most cherished memories of the weekend.

• Late night comes alive. Arcadia is literally on fire, the SE corner reveals its magic, and that wave of 'there's nowhere else like this' that hit you on Wednesday comes back around and wallops you once more. You save the caring about what you're missing in some other area for the next week as you throw yourself into every moment. You even embrace the inevitable times you're feeling a bit tired, fed up and over it all (we all get them every now and then), knowing the next high is just around the corner.

• There are two more days of this!
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I find Sunday bittersweet, already watching people pack up and go, and thoughts of the long slog back up the M5/M6, so it's sometimes my least favourite day. I get the biggest buzz on Wednesday and Thursday, catching up with everyone, and a more relaxed vibe before my usual counterproductive mad dash around as many bands as I can see....

Thursdays and Sundays are my faves.

Thursdays are ace as I've usually persuaded myself to try to keep a bit of a lid on it on the Weds night staying up in the campervan field, so Thursday is when I'm  full of energy, buzzing and raring to go, which inevitably turns into one of the messiest nights of the festival...

Sundays I love because I know it's the final day, which might sound weird, but I have this real sense of 'you've got through this', and any hangovers / such like I have don't matter any more because it's one more day and you just give it everything you've got!

8 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I find Sunday bittersweet, already watching people pack up and go, and thoughts of the long slog back up the M5/M6, so it's sometimes my least favourite day. I get the biggest buzz on Wednesday and Thursday, catching up with everyone, and a more relaxed vibe before my usual counterproductive mad dash around as many bands as I can see....

People obviously have commitments etc, but it does surprise me how much the site is in flux on the Sunday, with people packing up and leaving - i do find it somewhat disheartening earlier in the day (perhaps exacerbated by feeling very tender by this stage) - 6 or 7 cans normally helps though ;) 

My Favourite day is definitely Friday. I love the Wednesday and Thursday too because of the freedom to do whatever the fuck you want and just explore, but the feeling of immense anticipation and excitement of all the incredible music that lies ahead on the Friday really does get the butterflies going

Edited by Tyonks

On 7/24/2018 at 1:14 PM, Quark said:

All of them.  Every day offers something different and they're all amazing.

Wednesday - the euphoria of returning and walking around, catching up with people and checking out the changes

Thursday - the first stirrings of acts around the site, the anticipation of what's to come

Friday - the release of the first full day, bands everywhere to watch, main stages alive, Friday night madness

Saturday - in the thick of it, two days still to go, lost in the middle of it all

Sunday - the determination to get as much as possible out of the final day, seeing the last of the bands on your list, and the build up to the finale

Monday - proper shower, proper bed, starting to catalogue all the wondrous shit you've seen and done.

Preach.

Tuesday - the utter misery when you realise it’s over for another year. Crying in the corner of your room clutching a bottle of vodka whilst masturbating furiously.