Sign in to follow this  
stanh

Coachella 2019

3 hours ago, birchtree29 said:

633199FA-2FBD-4E61-ADFA-8701CF07570E.jpeg

Was is that bad they needed to get Phish to headline 2 days and do 3 sets, the only plus over Coachella is that Childish isn't headlining. I think there is 3 acts on that line-up I'd give time to. Jesus!

12 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Now I get why my cousin back in NJ envies me for having festivals in my continent.

Jeeeeeesus Christ, is this what future looks like?

Camino, JT and Ariana didn't look that bad for Coachella in hindsight.

It's quite bad when the line-up for Glastonbury is already better and there has only been 3 confirmations with another few we are pretty certain of.

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Was is that bad they needed to get Phish to headline 2 days and do 3 sets, the only plus over Coachella is that Childish isn't headlining. I think there is 3 acts on that line-up I'd give time to. Jesus!

Could a headliner have dropped out.

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Camino, JT and Ariana didn't look that bad for Coachella in hindsight.

It's quite bad when the line-up for Glastonbury is already better and there has only been 3 confirmations with another few we are pretty certain of.

The undercard is a big step up from previous years though: Solange, The National, Brockhampton, Kacey Musgraves, Beach House, Gojira, Girl Talk, Courtney Barnett, Ibeyi, Parquet Courts, Rival Sons, Mac Demarco, Trampled By Turtles, Lemon Twigs, Deafheaven, Catfish, John Prine, Jim James, All Them Witches, Little Simz, RBCF, Cardi.

14 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

The undercard is a big step up from previous years though: Solange, The National, Brockhampton, Kacey Musgraves, Beach House, Gojira, Girl Talk, Courtney Barnett, Ibeyi, Parquet Courts, Rival Sons, Mac Demarco, Trampled By Turtles, Lemon Twigs, Deafheaven, Catfish, John Prine, Jim James, All Them Witches, Little Simz, RBCF, Cardi.

I thought you said it was a big step up?, I know it's all taste subjective but I honestly wouldn't see any bar Catfish, not even really if I had nothing else to watch. I thought it must do better than Coachella and Gov's Ball but I really don't think it has. I'd actually question if I'd see more at Primavera. Taste aside I know, the lineups a few years back were a different league to this.

13 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I thought you said it was a big step up?, I know it's all taste subjective but I honestly wouldn't see any bar Catfish, not even really if I had nothing else to watch. I thought it must do better than Coachella and Gov's Ball but I really don't think it has. I'd actually question if I'd see more at Primavera. Taste aside I know, the lineups a few years back were a different league to this.

That's a very selective taste you've got then. ? The list of names in the undercard are at least very diverse.

Primavera has a very strong line up though. As always. A LOT of stuff on there I'd LOVE to see. Coachella isn't half bad either, just not hitting the highs of 4-5 years ago. At all.

Edited by lighthouse

56 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

That's a very selective taste you've got then. ? The list of names in the undercard are at least very diverse.

Primavera has a very strong line up though. As always. A LOT of stuff on there I'd LOVE to see. Coachella isn't half bad either, just not hitting the highs of 4-5 years ago. At all.

I don't see why it's so selective, they just aren't a group of bands for me, that term could be used based on anyone's 11/12 band selection. Primavera is not strong imo but for that festival is probably is, the most I've ever really liked is a couple of headliners over time but it's never been one for me. Take Latitude for example, not going to find me there.

Reading's Kendrick day this year for example was basically perfect for me although I didn't go for him, Reading years back was for me but the festival and music has moved on. Slam Dunk at the minute ticks the boxes, it's cost effective enough that if I saw 5/6 bands it's cost me just over a tenner a band and last year worked out about £7/8 a band for me.

Just out of interest what's the rough pricing of these festivals? Don't know an awful lot about the American festival scene other than about Coachella. Does make even some of the terrible lineups in the UK look great, and cheap too going off Coachella's price.

9 hours ago, Chaarlie said:

Just out of interest what's the rough pricing of these festivals? Don't know an awful lot about the American festival scene other than about Coachella. Does make even some of the terrible lineups in the UK look great, and cheap too going off Coachella's price.

Their crowds are totally different crowds so price differ a lot:

Coachella: $430 already sold out

Bonnaroo: $320 

Governors Ball: $305

Bottlerock: $340 already sold out

40 minutes ago, birchtree29 said:

Boston Calling which is the last big festival in the spring before Lollapalooza Chicago tweeted that they will announce their lineup this week.

They've put out some alright bands in recent years.

17 minutes ago, Chaarlie said:

Looks like the best lineup from the US fests I've seen, good mix of bands and genres, thoughts? 

nojhf-2019-poster-graphic-1400.jpg

I hope Jimmy Buffett plays 'If you like pina coladas'

21 minutes ago, Chaarlie said:

Looks like the best lineup from the US fests I've seen, good mix of bands and genres, thoughts?

It's a 8 day festival with the Rolling Stones day priced at $185 and the rest at $70 each. If you check the daily lineup it's not that amazing since it is divided to 8 days but New Orleans is such a great city and to end several days with a great concert should be great as well.

25 minutes ago, birchtree29 said:

It's a 8 day festival with the Rolling Stones day priced at $185 and the rest at $70 each. If you check the daily lineup it's not that amazing since it is divided to 8 days but New Orleans is such a great city and to end several days with a great concert should be great as well.

ahhh that makes sense yeah I'd love to visit but Christ is that expensive, how does anyone afford to go to US festivals?

1 hour ago, Chaarlie said:

ahhh that makes sense yeah I'd love to visit but Christ is that expensive, how does anyone afford to go to US festivals?

Being american usually helps, given that they have better purchasing power than a good 3/4 of European nations

2 hours ago, Chaarlie said:

I've gone to Coachella the last few year. We get our tickets in July on the payment plan. We pay monthly and clear the payment plan in Dec. In  a weird I barely remember paying the money for the festival tickets as I chipped away at it each month. In mid Jan we book our flights. Flights are decent in April. Last year we included a holiday to New Orleans in our trip. So we flew into LAX and home via New Orleans. Return flight and internal flight was €550 all in. We camped at Coachella and hit WalMart up for cheap supplies. We stayed in a hotel in New Orleans and loved the place. Yeah it's expensive but you are getting a great holiday / trip out of it over Easter. 

Edited by Colouring Book
  • Upvote 1

Pitbull on a poster between Santana and Van Morrison, couldn't help but smile. Never expected to ever see that :lol: And then J Balvin next to John Fogerty, indeed an interesting mix of genres.

• Like 1

The resell market is the lowest I have ever seen in last 8 years. Stubhub was selling weekend 1 tickets for as low as $310 with fees last night. Regular price was $430. People on r/coachella started going to weekend 1 last minute due to prices. Even the hotels in the area have available rooms at low prices which is very unusual for Coachella. This shows how low of a demand this lineup will have in next 2 weeks.

Most of the performances will be livestreamed in next 3 days on https://www.youtube.com/coachella

On 1/9/2019 at 9:15 AM, birchtree29 said:

Their crowds are totally different crowds so price differ a lot:

Coachella: $430 already sold out

Bonnaroo: $320 

Governors Ball: $305

Bottlerock: $340 already sold out

And if I was wanting to travel from the UK roughly what would flights and accommodation add up to ? I assume it would br fairly prohibitive 

4 minutes ago, gedkelly said:

And if I was wanting to travel from the UK roughly what would flights and accommodation add up to ? I assume it would br fairly prohibitive 

Check post below

On 1/16/2019 at 3:25 PM, Colouring Book said:

I've gone to Coachella the last few year. We get our tickets in July on the payment plan. We pay monthly and clear the payment plan in Dec. In  a weird I barely remember paying the money for the festival tickets as I chipped away at it each month. In mid Jan we book our flights. Flights are decent in April. Last year we included a holiday to New Orleans in our trip. So we flew into LAX and home via New Orleans. Return flight and internal flight was €550 all in. We camped at Coachella and hit WalMart up for cheap supplies. We stayed in a hotel in New Orleans and loved the place. Yeah it's expensive but you are getting a great holiday / trip out of it over Easter.