Mad Cool 2019

Rico_Pliskin

We got tickets for this last week after deciding the Glastonbury gods were probably not going to smile on us this year after having three years of getting tickets.

Already loads on the line-up to get excited about but still impatient for the second wave to get announced. Are people expecting an announcement in the next week or so?

8 minutes ago, crouchingpigeon said:

We got tickets for this last week after deciding the Glastonbury gods were probably not going to smile on us this year after having three years of getting tickets.

Already loads on the line-up to get excited about but still impatient for the second wave to get announced. Are people expecting an announcement in the next week or so?

I imagine we'll get something around pay day. Most festivals seem to be dropping news at the moment so hopefully by next Friday we'll have something to sink our teeth in to. 

24 minutes ago, crouchingpigeon said:

What do we think are the chances of Foals being one of the unannounced headliners. Looks like it would fit with their schedule as they're in Barcelona on July 5th and Benidorm on July 26th although those are festivals so Mad Cool could have been announced at the same time as them if they had them booked?

Played in 2017 so not going to have that quick a turnaround. Also organisers said they really want to avoid repeat bookings in short time frame. i'd say next year would be earliest but with a double album being released I could see them in 2020. But more than likely they'll do other fests on that july weekend elsewhere in the world. 

Edited by Rico_Pliskin

Foals are rapidly in danger of becoming one of those bands that play the same festivals every other year. For their sake they should try and mix it up as much as possible. Biffy did the same thing and I get the sense there's a feeling of apahty whenever they're announced for a festival.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

how is the prodigy bigger than the national in 2019?

They are on tour of a 3 months old album instead of 17 months old album like the National. They are also headlining American festivals like Sonic Temple and the National is on the second line in Bonnaroo as well

Edited by birchtree29

44 minutes ago, birchtree29 said:

This is how the National should have been placed at Mad Cool Festival if the lineup was as strong as last year. They are not a headliner band anymore

AB7F430C-7314-442E-BA5F-112FEDD50554.jpeg

Anymore? They're bigger than they've ever been. It's a weirdly low placing though, for sure. I assume they're just not as well known in Holland.

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Anymore? They're bigger than they've ever been. It's a weirdly low placing though, for sure. I assume they're just not as well known in Holland.

Exactly. They've been hitting commercial success since High Violet and they do have a new album coming up later this year, they will surely play new material live. The Prodigy have a much more specific audience than them (and tbh I never hear about The Prodigy)

47 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

By anymore I mean they will be asking for a shorter set time like 60 minutes instead of 90 minutes and a lower booking price except Mad Cool this year. It’s not about how big the band is. It’s about how long they want to perform this summer. 

3 minutes ago, birchtree29 said:

By anymore I mean they will be asking for a shorter set time like 60 minutes instead of 90 minutes and a lower booking price except Mad Cool this year. It’s not about how big the band is. It’s about how long they want to perform this summer. 

I'm not sure that's true. I think Lowlands is the exception and they'll largely be doing 90mins (maybe even Lowlands if they're headlining a second stage or something, I have no idea how that festival works). I think even BST where they're subbing Florence (were actually labelled co-headline but I think it's actually a glorified sub spot) that they might do 90 mins or at least 75. Hard to imagine them going back to an hour now. They're a fitting co-headliner for Mad Cool. If we wanna compare to 2018, yes they're smaller than PJ, AM and DM. But are they really much smaller than Jack White (as a solo artist) and QOTSA? Not sure there's much between them. As for prices, don't think we have any idea about that. 

59 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

I'm not sure that's true. I think Lowlands is the exception and they'll largely be doing 90mins (maybe even Lowlands if they're headlining a second stage or something, I have no idea how that festival works). I think even BST where they're subbing Florence (were actually labelled co-headline but I think it's actually a glorified sub spot) that they might do 90 mins or at least 75. Hard to imagine them going back to an hour now. They're a fitting co-headliner for Mad Cool. If we wanna compare to 2018, yes they're smaller than PJ, AM and DM. But are they really much smaller than Jack White (as a solo artist) and QOTSA? Not sure there's much between them. As for prices, don't think we have any idea about that. 

Well, I think Queens of the Stone Age is way bigger than The National. I like both of them, but let's be realistic, tell me a festival where Queens of the Stone Age hasn't headlined in the past years. But I agree with you that The National is bigger than Jack White. 

1 minute ago, jcabmar said:

Well, I think Queens of the Stone Age is way bigger than The National. I like both of them, but let's be realistic, tell me a festival where Queens of the Stone Age hasn't headlined in the past years. But I agree with you that The National is bigger than Jack White. 

I'd say they're bigger, but not in a completely different league (like PJ, AM and DM are). Might be different in mainland Europe though tbf, the heavier rock bands do seem more popular in general. But even so, if Jack White isn't as big as the National then the points stands that the National are at least a worthy co-headliner (if we're using 2018 as the barometer). 

15 minutes ago, jcabmar said:

Having seen the national last year headlining I can say with comfort they aren't a headliner for this level of festival.

Unless their new album is a new direction my mind won't have changed. I'll still go see them at mad cool cause I've yet to hear 'about today' live.

But they're not a headliner like QOTSA are a headliner. 

Good headliners for small and mid tier indie festies though. Like down the rabbit hole and forbidden fruit.

Even the war on drugs are more of a headliner than the national.

Edited by Rico_Pliskin
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

Having seen the national last year headlining I can say with comfort they aren't a headliner for this level of festival.

Unless their new album is a new direction my mind won't have changed. I'll still go see them at mad cool cause I've yet to hear 'about today' live.

But they're not a headliner like QOTSA are a headliner. 

Good headliners for small and mid tier indie festies though. Like down the rabbit hole and forbidden fruit.

Even the war on drugs are more of a headliner than the national.

I agree with everything that you have said except for The War on Drugs. The National are way more relevant and have a much bigger following and discography to back it up than TWOD.