Mad Cool 2019

Rico_Pliskin

I was really disappointed with The National.

Play the old stuff that everyone loves. Where was Vanderlye Crybaby Geeks? I want to hear that not a song I've listened to once on Spotify and never bothered to listen to again.

It's indulgent.

On the plus side Sharon van Etten was great. Really enjoyed Eric Prydz, and the Smashing Pumpkins were decent, even though they are a band I've never connected with.

• Downvote 2

I was really happy with the National. Yeah I hoped Justin Vernon will hop on for a song or two or Sharon Van Etten will Join for I Need My Girl and also wanted some more unique songs BUT - the crowd around me was well into it and engaged, the most I have seen for their show in a festival. Matt was great and everyone played so tight. I was also surprised for having Gail Ann Dorsey and Lisa Hannigan along with Mina Tindle as I thought that they probably wouldn't be available. 

45 minutes ago, SalviaPlath said:

I really enjoyed The National, they're promoting a new album, complaining that they played too many songs from it is obtuse.

I think the new album is poor compared to the older ones like Trouble will find me.

When I see a band I want to hear the songs I have an emotional connection to.

The new songs need to earn their place on a setlist, I'm not there to be advertised to.

There is nothing more disheartening at a gig than being in the moment and hearing the words "we want to play some new stuff for you".

Edit: Having said that Matt Beringer is still a great front man to enjoy at a gig.

Edited by MarmK

52 minutes ago, Paddyc82 said:

Wolfmother was brilliant Himalayas were great too 

Saw the end of Himalayas, they really were very good.

Will need to see them when they play in London.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

The National were phenomenal, the new album is a masterpiece and it’s great to hear live (again). Not sure how anyone can say they didn’t play popular songs - graceless, don’t swallow the cap, bloodbuzz, mr November....I could go on

Really glad you enjoyed them (honestly), but it was very noticeable where we were that while they were playing Rylan that they lost the crowd around us, the volume of chat increased significantly.

It's all subjective though and as I said I'm glad that you enjoyed them.

It might be about levels of expectation too, when I saw them headline Latitude they were awesome and at the Hammersmith Apollo they were just sublime. Last night just didn't quite do it for me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

The National were phenomenal, the new album is a masterpiece and it’s great to hear live (again). Not sure how anyone can say they didn’t play popular songs - graceless, don’t swallow the cap, bloodbuzz, mr November....I could go on

Who said they didn't play popular songs?

On 7/12/2019 at 3:54 AM, neacaisa said:

vampire weekend went for an energetic set i enjoyed very much. they dropped almost every slow song from the set. tash sultana was also very good. the other performances haven't impressed me.

no troubles whatsoever with organization, except that i didn't found the tap water places. spent almost no time on the secondary stages, except a bit at the end at the loop. the tent was pretty much deserted for charlotte de witte- surprising as she is pretty well rated. probably the clash with chemical brothers didn't help it.

generally it looked pretty empty to me today, early performances had almost no crowd and it didn't get too crowded for the headliners either(people were very scattered after the sound tent in front of the main stage at bon iver). not sure what to make of it. it's a bit of an advantage for the festival goer, as the area is not that big, but I'm not sure if the festival can go on like this. probably the disaster of last year and the weaker line up contributed. 

If they were anything like me, despite there being early acts I'd happily have seen last year like Wolf Alice, I just stayed away until 8pm or so when it had cooled down a bit especially when partying through to 4:30am or so and not getting back to the hotel until 6am or so. Just because of the heat and pacing myself a bit.

Prophets of Rage were incredible, I enjoyed that so much.

Only saw two other acts, Gossip who were a lot of fun and obviously the Cure who knocked it out of the park.

Finishing with Boys don't cry was just perfect.

Time to get to the airport now. Eurgh.

8 hours ago, robillustrates said:

186k cumulative? I thought it was 50k a day?

it was approximately. as the total probably also accounts for the welcome party which had a significantly smaller crowd.

Edited by neacaisa