Mad Cool 2019

Rico_Pliskin

13 minutes ago, Jaykc82 said:

Are Mad Cool and NOS Alive affiliated?  Seems like NOS is also really delayed in confirming the rest of their lineup.  

Maybe a joint headliner that is holding up the announcements?   If so, anyone know the big rumors for NOS?

There are no "big" rumors for NOS, I'm afraid. Actually, most of us are just waiting on whatever clues we may get from MC. We're just hoping, I believe, for Foals, Tame Impala and The Black Keys as the best possible scenario (for NOS Alive's second day)

32 minutes ago, young_contra said:

There are no "big" rumors for NOS, I'm afraid. Actually, most of us are just waiting on whatever clues we may get from MC. We're just hoping, I believe, for Foals, Tame Impala and The Black Keys as the best possible scenario (for NOS Alive's second day)

Well, HBN1 has already confirmed that Foals would be at Mad Cool so they may be at NOS Alive as well.  

20 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

We need Keane's inspiring message of 'Everybodys Changing' as our anthem of our ever changing diverse diversity. 

I'll bring the flags ;) , @Hbn1 you bring the dates of the announcements. 

We'll all hold hands and sing 'Everybodys Changing feat Keane Kumbaya' under the Ferris Wheel. 

Lineup coming this month my friend ?

@DarthSaul Let me correct myself a bit - they are being ruined. I would certainly hope there is still healthy debate. I would also hope we both agree that the SJW's modus operandi of e.g. demanding "safe spaces" and accusing anyone who disagrees of privilege is only hurting the healthy debate. Humour is alive and kicking, as long as it doesn't offend anybody, which is never in the SJW world. None of that is either helpful or enlightening and the same goes for advocating the equality of outcome (including festival lineups) as if it did anything to improve any injustices there might be. I will happily oppose those things even if some might accuse me of reductionist thinking, or worse, having testicles. 

@dentalplan As @Rico_Pliskin kindly pointed out as well, china is close ? There are other ethnical/religious/racial groups that represent a large enough percentage of world's population to demand a fitting portion of the lineup (that being for example muslims, indians among others, although I would hope flat earthers can't be put in the same group ?). 
I could argue "good" is nowadays closer to objective than gender, but let's not go into the non-binary crap. The point I'm trying to make is that there are several factors when deciding which act to book, however the gender shouldn't be one of them as that would be fundamentally sexist.
Some booking agents might as well be sexist pigs worth every condemnation, but booking less popular acts sells less tickets and if done deliberately it's bad business. Can't really imagine whole lot of that happening and I really hope I'm not wrong here. But just because there is less female headliners (or acts in general) does not mean anything unfair is going on. Failing to acknowledge that doesn't convince me you're rationally thinking about this one.

P.s.: I'd gladly back @n=Nowheretohide some more with an upvote or two but I'm afraid I spent all of my today's love on Rico.

6 hours ago, clasher said:

@DarthSaul Let me correct myself a bit - they are being ruined. I would certainly hope there is still healthy debate. I would also hope we both agree that the SJW's modus operandi of e.g. demanding "safe spaces" and accusing anyone who disagrees of privilege is only hurting the healthy debate. Humour is alive and kicking, as long as it doesn't offend anybody, which is never in the SJW world. None of that is either helpful or enlightening and the same goes for advocating the equality of outcome (including festival lineups) as if it did anything to improve any injustices there might be. I will happily oppose those things even if some might accuse me of reductionist thinking, or worse, having testicles. 

@dentalplan As @Rico_Pliskin kindly pointed out as well, china is close ? There are other ethnical/religious/racial groups that represent a large enough percentage of world's population to demand a fitting portion of the lineup (that being for example muslims, indians among others, although I would hope flat earthers can't be put in the same group ?). 
I could argue "good" is nowadays closer to objective than gender, but let's not go into the non-binary crap. The point I'm trying to make is that there are several factors when deciding which act to book, however the gender shouldn't be one of them as that would be fundamentally sexist.
Some booking agents might as well be sexist pigs worth every condemnation, but booking less popular acts sells less tickets and if done deliberately it's bad business. Can't really imagine whole lot of that happening and I really hope I'm not wrong here. But just because there is less female headliners (or acts in general) does not mean anything unfair is going on. Failing to acknowledge that doesn't convince me you're rationally thinking about this one.

P.s.: I'd gladly back @n=Nowheretohide some more with an upvote or two but I'm afraid I spent all of my today's love on Rico.

Damn if you used more of the material from the first paragraph, I’d have known not to bother.

All I think needs pointing out to you is that nobody is saying book acts containing women for slots they’re not qualified for. This is always something that people jump to when it’s not even hinted at, particularly in other arguments surrounding gender equality like employment. It’s booking acts featuring women for slots they are qualified for at a comparable rate to the way they book the all-male bands.

This argument started with Florence and the Machine, and they seem to be bigger than most of the headliners this year. It would add gender diversity on the top line but that’s not the reason they’d be booked, that’s just a consequence.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Speaking of Florence, her Madrid show is in 9 days and there are still tickets left. Might be waiting until after that. 

That could be part of it. I checked a few weeks ago and there are considerably fewer tickets left now compares to then, so it's either going to sell out soon or not at all. I think if that was a consideration, we're at the point now where it's fine to announce her.

Florence could also be in the reckoning for FIB. Fingers crossed she's heading our way instead!

TBK is where it all ties together I think. Their tour dates should be dropping this week and then I reckon the dominos will all fall. I reckon MC are banking on TBK doing so few European shows and being a unique act for the festival, thus worth the wait to announce.

39 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

All I think needs pointing out to you is that nobody is saying book acts containing women for slots they’re not qualified for. This is always something that people jump to when it’s not even hinted at, particularly in other arguments surrounding gender equality like employment. It’s booking acts featuring women for slots they are qualified for at a comparable rate to the way they book the all-male bands.

Yeah, they do. But equally people on the other side of the debate jump very quickly from recognising (correctly) that there's a gender imbalance on the line-up to 'the bookers are sexist, this is discrimination'. Lots of jumping and extremes in this debate. It requires far more critical thinking than that. (Not suggesting you don't recognise this btw, just suggesting that trait isn't exclusive to one side)

18 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Yeah, they do. But equally people on the other side of the debate jump very quickly from recognising (correctly) that there's a gender imbalance on the line-up to 'the bookers are sexist, this is discrimination'. Lots of jumping and extremes in this debate. It requires far more critical thinking than that. (Not suggesting you don't recognise this btw, just suggesting that trait isn't exclusive to one side)

I don’t really agree. I haven’t seen an active campaign against a ‘sexist festival booker’, just calls for more action on balancing things.

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don’t really agree. I haven’t seen an active campaign against a ‘sexist festival booker’, just calls for more action on balancing things.

Perhaps not explicit quotes saying they're sexist, but there's quite regularly accusations of gender playing a part in booking decisions, favouring males. Often, if there's an imbalance in a line-up, that accusation is made first and there's often an implication that discrimination is the sole driver of imbalance. Other factors that play a part are generally brushed aside, namely fewer female musicians available to any given festival at any given time, particularly at the top level. Of course, there are many more rational people making better points here, but I stand by my point that there's a lot of jumping to extremes done from both sides. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Perhaps not explicit quotes saying they're sexist, but there's quite regularly accusations of gender playing a part in booking decisions, favouring males. Often, if there's an imbalance in a line-up, that accusation is made first and there's often an implication that discrimination is the sole driver of imbalance. Other factors that play a part are generally brushed aside, namely fewer female musicians available to any given festival at any given time, particularly at the top level. Of course, there are many more rational people making better points here, but I stand by my point that there's a lot of jumping to extremes done from both sides. 

Yes and this would be rectified by having the music industry placing faith in female acts to do the job they are qualified to do and providing more festival-friendly female role models. Festivals can be catalysts for this change and would be praised for taking these steps. The main question you’ve got to ask yourself is how it’s gonna be corrected if everybody just laments it and nobody pushes against it.

8 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Apologies if this either scares anyone or has been covered...but have Mumford & Sons been ruled out? No Madrid date and a July gap for a European festival tour.

Lazaretto had apparently ruled them out in the other forum.  If I understand correctly it seems like he or she is a credible source

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jaykc82 said:

Lazaretto had apparently ruled them out in the other forum.  If I understand correctly it seems like he or she is a credible source

He works on festival marketing. 

He don't ruled out mumford, mumford have exclusive spain date in BCN.

4 minutes ago, Degu said:

He works on festival marketing. 

He don't ruled out mumford, mumford have exclusive spain date in BCN.

Ok.  Someone had posted that he had ruled out Mumford and RHCP.

Also, I feel like I'm in the minority on music forums and I may get blasted for saying this, but I love Mumford and would be very happy to have them for Mad Cool