Mad Cool 2019

Rico_Pliskin

58 minutes ago, Jaykc82 said:

I dont think anyone is suggesting that acts should be booked fully on gender and without looking at merit.

I think the suggestion is more that festivals should be looking at diversifying their lineups by looking at acts that are good and deserve spots but may otherwise be overlooked because of gender or other issues.

Theres a ton of kick ass female artists around and I think it's great to see more and more on lineups.  Love to see acts like Tash and Sharon on more lineups, plus others like Alabama Shakes, Courtney Barnett, Florence, etc... that can rock with the best of them.

I know since theres been a bigger focus on women at festivals I've fallen in love with a lot of new artists like Maggie Rogers, Julien Baker, Amanda Shires, amongst others. 

To put it simply, 

If they're good they won't be overlooked. 

Queen was amazing as was Elton, Blondie, Tina Turner, Madonna, Etta James etc etc, I could go on for a long time as they're so many good artists that fit your criteria. 

They were never overlooked despite their gender/other issues. People are creating problems that in reality is non existent to music fans. 

Fans of bagpipe music have more credibility when they claim lack of representation than the issues you bring up. 

I feel I may have derailed the thread a bit ;)

Edited by Rico_Pliskin

1 minute ago, clasher said:

Not singing english, for example, is a much bigger hurdle in terms of making it big time than not having a penis.

The PC culture has ruined enough already, don't let it get to music too. 

What has it ruined? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, clasher said:

Not singing english, for example, is a much bigger hurdle in terms of making it big time than not having a penis.

The PC culture has ruined enough already, don't let it get to music too. 

There's nothing damaging about giving equal opportunities at a grass roots level to male and female acts. In the long run ticket and record sales speak for themselves, but Reading 2011, for example, didn't have a single female act on the main stage and you can't tell me that's because none were good enough, as per @Rico_Pliskin saying 'If they're good enough they won't be overlooked.' 

The times they are a changing. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DarthSaul said:

There's nothing damaging about giving equal opportunities at a grass roots level to male and female acts. In the long run ticket and record sales speak for themselves, but Reading 2011, for example, didn't have a single female act on the main stage and you can't tell me that's because none were good enough, as per @Rico_Pliskin saying 'If they're good enough they won't be overlooked.' 

Yep. Great point and example. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DarthSaul said:

Do you think someone made a concious decision to just book male acts? 

End of the road 2011 Laura Marling
Glastonbury 2011 Beyonce
Latitude 2011 (Paloma Faith/KT Tunstell) sub headlining
T in The Park 2011 Beyonce
Electric Picnic 2011: PJ Harvey/ Arcade fire

I think you may be cherry picking. I could look at Download festival any year and come up with the same point you're making. 

Edited by Rico_Pliskin

And this is what Mad Cool waiting to give us confirmations has done. Weve fallen into arguing gender equality issues on this thread, lol. (Although clearly a topic I'm interested in, so dont mind too much. I'm also prepared to admit I'm hypocritical, while I think it's great for festivals to showcase more women, that plays little to nothing in my decision of which festival I go to each year. )

Hope we can get some news soon so we can get to discussing the lineup again.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jaykc82 said:

And this is what Mad Cool waiting to give us confirmations has done. Weve fallen into arguing gender equality issues on this thread, lol. (Although clearly a topic I'm interested in, so dont mind too much. I'm also prepared to admit I'm hypocritical, while I think it's great for festivals to showcase more women, that plays little to nothing in my decision of which festival I go to each year. )

Hope we can get some news soon so we can get to discussing the lineup again.

exactly!!!! didn't think we'd get political in this thread out of boredom ?

18 minutes ago, jparx said:

What has it ruined? 

Humour, universities, free speech, just to name a few. We can continue this somewhere else and not ruin this topic completely.

20 minutes ago, DarthSaul said:

There's nothing damaging about giving equal opportunities at a grass roots level to male and female acts. 

I think we all agree on this one.

However I'm yet to be presented one single shred of proof of a racist patriarchal festival machine that's suppressing anyone who's not a white straight bloke. I'm yet to see a festival organizer say "I rather book an act lacking quality than penis". Not everything is a fight between the oppressor and the oppressed. 

You can go on about how we're unconsciously racist and chauvinistic inside and how it's about awareness, but once you go down this road you already lost. Where's the gay and lesbian representation? How about Chinese and Korean bands? Where's all the muslims? You can't be so biased not to feature flat-earther bands, can you?

4 minutes ago, clasher said:

Humour, universities, free speech, just to name a few. We can continue this somewhere else and not ruin this topic completely.

However I'm yet to be presented one single shred of proof of a racist patriarchal festival machine that's suppressing anyone who's not a white straight bloke. I'm yet to see a festival organizer say "I rather book an act lacking quality than penis". Not everything is a fight between the oppressor and the oppressed. 

You can go on about how we're unconsciously racist and chauvinistic inside and how it's about awareness, but once you go down this road you already lost. Where's the gay and lesbian representation? How about Chinese and Korean bands? Where's all the muslims? You can't be so biased not to feature flat-earther bands, can you?

I think my last point on this is that

a. you shouldn't believe everything you read- universities still have plenty of healthy debate, humour is alive and kicking 

And 

b. maybe read a little more on gender politics, race politics etc. Your reductionist thinking isn't particularly helpful or enlightening. ?

Maybe two contradictory points from myself but I'm here to talk music like the rest of us ?❤️

8 minutes ago, DarthSaul said:

I think my last point on this is that

a. you shouldn't believe everything you read- universities still have plenty of healthy debate, humour is alive and kicking 

And 

b. maybe read a little more on gender politics, race politics etc. Your reductionist thinking isn't particularly helpful or enlightening. ?

Maybe two contradictory points from myself but I'm here to talk music like the rest of us ?❤️

Perhaps reading less on Gender/race politics would be the better option?

But as we're all buds here I wouldn't go calling people simple (reductionist thinking) when you contradict yourself (by you own admission) in one statement. 

Edited by Rico_Pliskin

17 minutes ago, clasher said:

None of those are half of the world population are they?

Lots of female artists have spoken out about being discriminated by booking agents and promoters. Plenty of festivals have booked more all-male acts when female-featuring acts who are bigger or better can be booked.

You going “I just want them to book what’s good” (impossible because that’s not objective) and then complaining about PC culture and being the one person backing @n=Nowheretohide - a user who only seems to exist to complain about this shit and post links to misogynist blogs - doesn’t convince me you’re rationally thinking about this one.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

None of those are half of the world population are they?

Lots of female artists have spoken out about being discriminated by booking agents and promoters. Plenty of festivals have booked more all-male acts when female-featuring acts who are bigger or better can be booked.

You going “I just want them to book what’s good” (impossible because that’s not objective) and then complaining about PC culture and being the one person backing @n=Nowheretohide - a user who only seems to exist to complain about this shit and post links to misogynist blogs - doesn’t convince me you’re rationally thinking about this one.

Making an obvious joke here but cough cough..... China is pretty close. ;)

• Like 1