Mad Cool 2019

Rico_Pliskin

44 minutes ago, young_contra said:

I find it odd that a festival would wait so long for a band like TBK. I like them but they''re not THAT big, specially after an odd hiatus

It's odd that they are waiting to announce other bands but for The Black Keys I think it's not odd. They are rumored to headline Woodstock 50 as well which might be the reason they waited until March to announce their tour.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jparx said:

I don't follow BST at all, but do they have anything else to announce for Hyde Park?

But yeah, I think NOS, Mad and Opener would be enough to justify it. 

Had a look at the dates:

04.07. Open'er

06.07. BST

11.07. Mad Cool

12.07. NOS Alive

Some promo or headline shows in between... Possible.

15 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Yeah, definitely. Noel G with Chem Bros would be good too, though that's a lot less likely.

That's a great shout. I'm all for collaborations at festivals. Bon Iver don't seem to have any shows lined up on the Friday, so fingers crossed we get a Justin cameo during The National as well...Again probably wishful thinking there given it means hanging around for a day.

2 hours ago, jparx said:

That's a great shout. I'm all for collaborations at festivals. Bon Iver don't seem to have any shows lined up on the Friday, so fingers crossed we get a Justin cameo during The National as well...Again probably wishful thinking there given it means hanging around for a day.

Unless....Big Red Machine are playing on the Friday. Might be a bit ambitious hoping for it (busy schedule for the members) but as far as I can see, it's possible. 

*awaits @dentalplan explaining how it's in fact not possible*

Edited by The Martini Police

There's more of a chance of BRM playing on The National (Friday) than the thursday for sure.

I doubt Justin is going to do two seperate sets of vocals on one day (thurs). But him singing the day after, playing before The National (fri) is an easier sell. 

Like they don't play NOS until the Saturday. That's a short trip. 

Now thinking about it;  it's very possible.  

Edited by Rico_Pliskin

People on azkena rock forum are like 99% sure they'll confirm Raconteurs and TBK (bigger chance), I expect them to be confirmed soon as 2 different "insiders" who usually have them right said so. Also, it seems like the announcements will come this week but they aren't so sure about that, thought you wanted to know as not everyone here speaks Spanish and can't understand what's being said there.

1 minute ago, anacostales said:

People on azkena rock forum are like 99% sure they'll confirm Raconteurs and TBK (bigger chance), I expect them to be confirmed soon as 2 different "insiders" who usually have them right said so. Also, it seems like the announcements will come this week but they aren't so sure about that, thought you wanted to know as not everyone here speaks Spanish and can't understand what's being said there.

From following that forum i really wouldn't read too much into anything. You and I have as much info as they do simply by looking at tour dates, festivals already announced and making informed guesses. 

1 minute ago, anacostales said:

They don't seem to be mentioning Florence at all, who still seems really likely given her schedule. Raconteurs and TBK would complete a very white male set of headliners. Florence would add a bit of diversity with the headiners so hopefully she's there.

I checked on Azkena earlier today and they're all talking about something on YouTube at 2pm. Do you know what that's about?

Thanks!

Just now, jparx said:

They don't seem to be mentioning Florence at all, who still seems really likely given her schedule. Raconteurs and TBK would complete a very white male set of headliners. Florence would add a bit of diversity with the headiners so hopefully she's there.

I checked on Azkena earlier today and they're all talking about something on YouTube at 2pm. Do you know what that's about?

Thanks!

The youtube thing is just a joke, they're trying to guess wether if we're getting a proper announcement at 2PM or a youtube video of an already confirmed artist!! When they say they expect a youtube video later is just irony :)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

From following that forum i really wouldn't read too much into anything. You and I have as much info as they do simply by looking at tour dates, festivals already announced and making informed guesses. 

Yeah!! I agree, I mean i just wanted to say here that we're making the same guesses here and in the azkona one, even if they love to troll sometimes over there. 

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Thanks!

You have to remember Spain isn't as worried on Identity politics to the same extent as other parts of Europe. 

I'm sure they pick headliners based on merit rather than dangling or lack of dangling genitalia. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

You have to remember Spain isn't as worried on Identity politics to the same extent as other parts of Europe. 

I'm sure they pick headliners based on merit rather than dangling or lack of dangling genitalia. 

Book Florence then ?

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

So you dont consider Barcelona part of Spain :))?

But yeah if you're talking about Primavera they aren't representitive of the majority of festivals. 

We've seen this kind of discussion pop up in many threads so i'm not keen to re adventure old territory.

I'm for booking on merit over gender. 

So if big acts like Lady Gaga, St Vincent, Wolf Alice are booked as headliners i'm all for it and I will watch them and be happy. 

Because I think they're good, and that they deserve it based on merit and the good music they put out.  Not because of gender quotas.

Edited by Rico_Pliskin

31 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

I’ve been told it could be this week Rico ?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

But yeah if you're talking about Primavera they aren't representitive of the majority of festivals. 

We've seen this kind of discussion pop up in many threads so i'm not keen to re adventure old territory.

I'm for booking on merit over gender. 

So if big acts like Lady Gaga, St Vincent, Wolf Alice are booked as headliners i'm all for it and I will watch them and be happy. 

Because I think they're good, and that they deserve it based on merit and the good music they put out.  Not because of gender quotas.

I dont think anyone is suggesting that acts should be booked fully on gender and without looking at merit.

I think the suggestion is more that festivals should be looking at diversifying their lineups by looking at acts that are good and deserve spots but may otherwise be overlooked because of gender or other issues.

Theres a ton of kick ass female artists around and I think it's great to see more and more on lineups.  Love to see acts like Tash and Sharon on more lineups, plus others like Alabama Shakes, Courtney Barnett, Florence, etc... that can rock with the best of them.

I know since theres been a bigger focus on women at festivals I've fallen in love with a lot of new artists like Maggie Rogers, Julien Baker, Amanda Shires, amongst others. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jaykc82 said:

I dont think anyone is suggesting that acts should be booked fully on gender and without looking at merit.

I think the suggestion is more that festivals should be looking at diversifying their lineups by looking at acts that are good and deserve spots but may otherwise be overlooked because of gender or other issues.

Theres a ton of kick ass female artists around and I think it's great to see more and more on lineups.  Love to see acts like Tash and Sharon on more lineups, plus others like Alabama Shakes, Courtney Barnett, Florence, etc... that can rock with the best of them.

I know since theres been a bigger focus on women at festivals I've fallen in love with a lot of new artists like Maggie Rogers, Julien Baker, Amanda Shires, amongst others. 

Indeed.

It's also about musical diversity. My argument with Florence is that she (seems) to be available and adds a different flavour to the top of the lineup. Racontuers and TBK are more of the same and (in my opinion) don't add anything different to the lineup. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jaykc82 said:

Do you actually think this happens? Or has even ever happened? Genuinely curious to know. There's no doubt a gender imbalance but why make the leap to ''been overlooked because of gender...'? Why is 'there are fewer women available' not an acceptable explanation for it? To me, it seems more likely that many people are quick to assume uneven distribution means discrimination. I'm yet to see any evidence or even quotes on this. Has any insider ever leaked info such as "we had to choose between x and y so we went for x because he's male to look after the lads" for example? 

There's a range of brilliant women on this line-up, it's just that none of them of big enough to headline. Nor are there obvious women to book to headline not on the line-up atm apart from Florence who I still think should be, and will be, booked. 

5 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Do you actually think this happens? Or has even ever happened? Genuinely curious to know. There's no doubt a gender imbalance but why make the leap to ''been overlooked because of gender...'? Why is 'there are fewer women available' not an acceptable explanation for it? To me, it seems more likely that many people are quick to assume uneven distribution means discrimination. I'm yet to see any evidence or even quotes on this. Has any insider ever leaked info such as "we had to choose between x and y so we went for x because he's male to look after the lads" for example? 

There's a range of brilliant women on this line-up, it's just that none of them of big enough to headline. Nor are there obvious women to book to headline not on the line-up atm apart from Florence who I still think should be, and will be, booked. 

I dont think overlooked because of gender means a conscious consideration of one versus the other and then choosing because of gender.  We all have our own preconceived biases in everything we do and the movement towards more gender equality in music festivals is just part of the realization of that happening.

I dont think that forcing a 50/50 split by a certain time is going to help or work but I support music festivals who are adding more female artists to their lineup.  

When it comes to not enough women as you mentioned part of that issue with not enough women at the top is not giving enough women the opportunities I'm the bottom and middle for so long that they dont get the opportunity to get the exposure they need to get to the top.