Mad Cool 2019

Rico_Pliskin

1 hour ago, jparx said:

What's the area like around the festival? When I went to NOS there was nothing of note around, so you'd just arrive for the festival and head home. Is this the same deal? It looks in the middle of nowhere on the outskirts - is that the case?

Pretty much.

There are Real Madrid's training facilities across the street and that's about it. 

12 hours ago, jparx said:

Just booked this and tied it in with a beach holiday in Portugal. That's our summer holiday sorted! Super chuffed with the lineup, even if the additions in the New Year don't float my boat.

What's the area like around the festival? When I went to NOS there was nothing of note around, so you'd just arrive for the festival and head home. Is this the same deal? It looks in the middle of nowhere on the outskirts - is that the case?

Yeah it's really nothing there. I was there this year. You really should book an accommodation in town where you can spend the day with pre-drinking or sightseeing. And afterwards you are heading to the festival, first acts are starting after 6pm. 

13 hours ago, jparx said:

Just booked this and tied it in with a beach holiday in Portugal. That's our summer holiday sorted! Super chuffed with the lineup, even if the additions in the New Year don't float my boat.

That's what made Leeds great for years I went, you were close to nothing, preferred to Reading where you could just go to the center...it was like a walk in walk gig series.

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

That's what made Leeds great for years I went, you were close to nothing, preferred to Reading where you could just go to the center...it was like a walk in walk gig series.

Indeed. A festival close to the centre makes it so easy to get around. Still looking for such an experience for 2019 within the UK.

And in Madrid there is so much to do during the day. that you really don't wanna stay close to the festival site at an airport hotel.

12 minutes ago, clasher said:

You do, as it's much easier to get to the center during the day than getting back from the festival at 4am.

True, I heard that many people had there problems with the transportation. But i was always lucky to catch a shuttle bus to Plaza de Colón. So I would stay again in the centre. But so far no one knows how they will solve the transportation problem in 2019..

Edited by berger55

1 hour ago, berger55 said:

Indeed. A festival close to the centre makes it so easy to get around. Still looking for such an experience for 2019 within the UK.

And in Madrid there is so much to do during the day. that you really don't wanna stay close to the festival site at an airport hotel.

I've never done a festival where it starts in the evening through until early hours and you have the day to potter around. I do however rate Madrid as a city but I wouldn't be going there middle of July due to it just being too hot I'd suspect. I went for a few days 1st week of October and maybe that was warmer then their usual like most places this year but it was plenty hot and it would have been a little less too. I don't want to be drained before I even start a 9 hour festival day lol.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

I've never done a festival where it starts in the evening through until early hours and you have the day to potter around. I do however rate Madrid as a city but I wouldn't be going there middle of July due to it just being too hot I'd suspect. I went for a few days 1st week of October and maybe that was warmer then their usual like most places this year but it was plenty hot and it would have been a little less too. I don't want to be drained before I even start a 9 hour festival day lol.

Sure, I wouldn't plan a city trip to Madrid in July. But if you are there for a festival anyway, its nice to spend the day drinking and eating in some tapas bars or spend some hours in the Retiro parque which is beautiful at this time of year and it’ll be full of locals sitting around and enjoying life.

3 hours ago, berger55 said:

Yeah it's really nothing there. I was there this year. You really should book an accommodation in town where you can spend the day with pre-drinking or sightseeing. And afterwards you are heading to the festival, first acts are starting after 6pm. 

We did that at NOS but it was such a ballache getting to and from the festival and in the end we didn't really have that much energy for sightseeing in Lisbon. We've gone for a hotel closer to the festival this time to minimise the travel headaches. I just find the getting in and out festivals incredibly stressful and I'd rather make that easier for myself,  but I can see the argument for staying in the city though! We'll see how it goes ? 

Edit: yeah as Gazza said, the heat in Lisbon was also an issue during the day for going round the city!

Edited by jparx

1 hour ago, activean said:

How come do you hate Florence so much? 

I quite like her, even live she was ok to me. :)

Florence was brilliant headlining Glastonbury. Great performance and great energy being in the pit. I'd love to see her there next summer!

1 hour ago, jparx said:

We did that at NOS but it was such a ballache getting to and from the festival and in the end we didn't really have that much energy for sightseeing in Lisbon. We've gone for a hotel closer to the festival this time to minimise the travel headaches. I just find the getting in and out festivals incredibly stressful and I'd rather make that easier for myself,  but I can see the argument for staying in the city though! We'll see how it goes ? 

Edit: yeah as Gazza said, the heat in Lisbon was also an issue during the day for going round the city!

I can absolutely understand that. Especially for mad cool, because there you really don't know how they will do it next year with the transportation. Also this year, they just informed some days in advance how the train, metro and buses are running during nite.

2 hours ago, berger55 said:

Sure, I wouldn't plan a city trip to Madrid in July. But if you are there for a festival anyway, its nice to spend the day drinking and eating in some tapas bars or spend some hours in the Retiro parque which is beautiful at this time of year and it’ll be full of locals sitting around and enjoying life.

Agreed, I also went to Valencia for a day which was great and had loads of tapas bars, the big indoor market in Madridis ace! 

And yes Retiro is class, I got an ice cream etc and chilled out around the step area of the huge monument infront or behind whichever way you see it of the lake. So many different streets to have something small to eat and a drink outside. My hotel was a bit of a dive but for just short of £30 a night and 2 minutes walk to Sol I wasn't complaining.

2 hours ago, jparx said:

Yeah going to certain places abroad when July kicks in don't interest me, plus as soon as July comes prices go up even from the start and not having a family gives me no interest, June or September onwards for me. Never been to Cyrpus or Turkey for example but am well aware they are two places that get ridiculously hot and I'm probably be either May or middle September the latest, probably October tbh.

But that aside, what is the general feeling on the line-up so far as I'm seeing 6 at the very max I'd see.

20 hours ago, thewayiam said:

But that aside, what is the general feeling on the line-up so far as I'm seeing 6 at the very max I'd see.

I love the lineup myself.  I don't think it is as strong as last year but I personally prefer it over last year just due to my own personal preferences.

First festival I'm going to which doesnt include any artists I've seen before which is a big bonus.

Wife and I are very excited for Bon Iver, Iggy Pop, Smashing Pumpkins, The National, GVF, the 1975 and the Cure, which is what made us commit to going.

Big part of festivals is discovering new acts though and have already started really getting into Alma, Lewis Capaldi and Shaton Van Etten as well.  I'm assuming there will be a few other bands we will discover we love before July as well. 

42 minutes ago, jparx said:

Bullet dodged there.

Wasn't there some rumour before Christmas about an announcement on the 7th? Any more word on that? Hoping for Florence + The Machine as one of the last headliners!

Catfish do have an anncoment on the 8th January maybe it could be trying to this.

On 12/4/2018 at 1:07 PM, 40 Days said:

Compared to 2018's headliners (and even the majority of the subs), Bon Iver as a headline would be an enormous step down.

Anyone know If we are going to get any more announcements soon? Before 2025 would be ideal Mad Cool. 

• Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, Rhcp1 said:

Anyone know If we are going to get any more announcements soon? Before 2025 would be ideal Mad Cool. 

The natural christmas break has only just finished and they did an announcement on the 21st Dec so we can hardly complain of a long wait on this occasion. It's effectively been only a few days since the last one.

I think we are opting for Mad Cool over NOS Lisbon. Mad Cool line up seems more expansive and the festival site seems bigger with more to do and see. We've booked OK Hostel in Madrid. Has anyone stayed here? Apparently they do all you can eat and drink buffets in the evening for cheap. What's it like to get from city center to festival and back? I had been reading up on it but that was before the festival site moved. 

Just now, Colouring Book said:

I think we are opting for Mad Cool over NOS Lisbon. Mad Cool line up seems more expansive and the festival site seems bigger with more to do and see. We've booked OK Hostel in Madrid. Has anyone stayed here? Apparently they do all you can eat and drink buffets in the evening for cheap. What's it like to get from city center to festival and back? I had been reading up on it but that was before the festival site moved. 

The festival site moved after 2017 not after 2018. They said in a press conference that they will have more shuttles and metro will be open until 5 am but it's not confirmed yet. I haven't stayed at OK Hostel but I booked an airbnb close to it last year. We took a taxi from mytaxi app for around 15 euros to go to the festival. The return was a hassle though. We tried to get a taxi near the metro station but it was not very easy. We used the shuttle once too but it took a lot longer compared to just getting a taxi.