Mad Cool 2019

Rico_Pliskin

Just now, birchtree29 said:

Probably yes but this is an media event that they have teased 10 days ago with having all the press in the same room right now. If you are not going to announce a big name today besides The Smashing Pumpkins who was already known, when are you going to announce it. 

To be fair they rolled out huge names last year too, a lot have to do with waiting on other fests. Agree this event was overhyped but I do think it was more about the infrastructure changes than the lineup

1 minute ago, bigbad said:

Ya Im still holding out hope on only The Cure being the top act of their day here. The optimist in me thinks we are still waiting on top acts for Thursday and Friday and a #2 or 3 on Saturday

I can’t see Bon Iver topping a day here, even if it’s reduced it’s still six stages. Odd placement if not though, a TBA above would be far less misleading (although that’s probably what their aim is). 

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

But if we have 85% of the poster by mid-December, we have about 50 names to come in the next three weeks. A lot of big ones too, would imagine.

Large weighting of bigger font-ed names on the last day I see. Probably to make it look like a more even spread of the number of names

Still a lot weaker than this years edition.

Edited by DDave

1 minute ago, alexlloyd said:

I can’t see Bon Iver topping a day here, even if it’s reduced it’s still six stages. Odd placement if not though, a TBA above would be far less misleading (although that’s probably what their aim is). 

Ya I wasnt following as intently last year but I do seem to remember on the initial announcement it wasnt that clear that they still had headliners to add. 

10 minutes ago, birchtree29 said:

Probably yes but this is an media event that they have teased 10 days ago with having all the press in the same room right now. If you are not going to announce a big name today besides The Smashing Pumpkins who was already known, when are you going to announce it. 

I disagree. Filling out the lower part of the lineup in one fell swoop makes more sense than lots of larger acts. Or else you'd be left with them hyping up midday announcements for Sophie Hunger and Sex Museum, wouldn't you?

Edited by dentalplan

So quick analysis shows that last year's early December poster had 3/5 headliners and 6/12 second row acts. Meaning about half of the top end is yet to be filled. 

It also makes more sense to fill the lower lines in one announcement and then announce the big names one by one in the following month or two (presumably also waiting for the tour announcements of some artists).

Depeche Mode played this year, if RHCP get announced it's probably gonna be when the whole new album tour is announced. As for the Strokes, no one really knows where the rumours are coming from, most likely we all just want them to be in Europe next summer since it's been some time now...

Very odd poster, the last years it was clear at least one headliner was missing even though they added 2 more but really looks like Bon Iver is a headliner. Big acts still to come I'm sure I just cant see why they'd present it like this definitely makes Rock Werchter look a lot better and personally I'd chose that over mad cool even if you assume theres a co-head to come every day.

• Upvote 1

Hi. 

I didn’t have many posts here but I’ve been reading this forum on a daily basis over the last year. Mad Cool was my first festival experience in Europe last year. I really enjoyed it and I wasn’t affected by the issues on the first night. I also had VIP tickets. The VIP section was too large and it should not have been located front stage but on the side. Yesterday, they said “No VIP front stage” but the information for VIP tickets says “VIP area”. The VIP pass is 400 Euros for 2019, the same price as 2018. Is the 2019 VIP area the same as the VIP area on a platform in 2018 near the big wheel? The information says also “Relaxing area with bar and restaurant services at reduced prices". It seems the relaxing area would be similar to the platform they had last year. Is the VIP area then seperated from the Relaxing area? 

Thank you.

5 hours ago, Chaarlie said:

Very odd poster, the last years it was clear at least one headliner was missing even though they added 2 more but really looks like Bon Iver is a headliner. Big acts still to come I'm sure I just cant see why they'd present it like this definitely makes Rock Werchter look a lot better and personally I'd chose that over mad cool even if you assume theres a co-head to come every day.

Agree - very strange way to market the festival. A lot of people will see that, assume those are the acts at the top of the bill and look elsewhere.

Very underwhelmed so far after what was probably the best line-up in the world this year.

43 minutes ago, Hawros said:

I think these things might be connected.

Good points. Actually, I booked an hotel close to the site because I was expecting chaos. When I saw the long line at 5 pm on Thursday, I decided to wait at the hotel until the line is shorter (social media are great for updates). I missed Toundra at 7 pm and I went to the site at 8:30pm and waited 1 hour. At the end of the night, I simply walked back. As for queues for drinks, well, I did not drink on the first night  but it was one of the best evening ever !!!!

Edited by LaurentExpos

Line up picking up now - could really do with a big rock act. Don't think will ever match last year's epic lineup.

Foos been announced for Sziget. Would they really not play Mad Cool if played 2 years ago?

What about Biffy or Royal Blood? 

Did Sziget 5 years on the trot but not been for about 5 years now. 

Toss up between Sziget and Mad Cool at the moment. If Smashing Pumpkins announced at Sziget that might sway it....