Mad Cool 2019

Rico_Pliskin

Just now, jonnytee1 said:

In my eyes there is a large void between the quality of acts announced so far too - Werchter wins hands down

Totally agreed. If Mad Cool wants to beat Rock Werchter again this year (and wants people to vote for them as best festival), they need to shift gears. Otherwise they will be a one hit wonder which everyone will remember with only 2018's lineup.

40 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

You’re definitely being overly negative about Mad Cool if you’re willing to hold the current RW lineup as a beacon of quality.

I'd say its down to personal taste. I despise the 1975, I'm not fussed by The National, I like Bon Iver but its not that exciting, Vampire Weekend are a good addition and the Cure are legends but thus far everything else is by the by. 

I still think a majority of bands will be at both but Werchter has at least announced a lot of bands / artists and a decent mix too. Thus far, i believe the line up is far better but obviously others may disagree. 

42 minutes ago, jonnytee1 said:

This is the example of Rock Werchter so far. I believe we are still a long way away form final announcements for Mad Cool and i do still have high hopes

580362923_werchter2019.thumb.jpg.f6d79a8df1923309aa793ff149dc3485.jpg

In my eyes RW is looking pretty average. Besides Tool, The cure and Florence I don't see anything noteworthy for a festival lineup as of now.

49 minutes ago, young_contra said:

In my eyes RW is looking pretty average. Besides Tool, The cure and Florence I don't see anything noteworthy for a festival lineup as of now.

As i said, different stroke for different folks. However, if Mad Cool announced things differently, I'm pretty sure id be more happy with their line up. Its all a bit samey and wishy washy at the moment

13 minutes ago, jonnytee1 said:

As i said, different stroke for different folks. However, if Mad Cool announced things differently, I'm pretty sure id be more happy with their line up. Its all a bit samey and wishy washy at the moment

Yeah of course it is different depending on your taste but Rock Werchter is still largely a slew of bog-standard festival bookings. Mad Cool is keeping its big guns back for later whereas Rock Werchter have put theirs out now and put tickets on sale with it, and it's not all that impressive to me.

Also, I'd really say Carpenter Brut, La Dispute, Mogwai and Vampire Weekend are very different and exciting nonetheless. Not at all wishy washy.

2 hours ago, jonnytee1 said:

This is the example of Rock Werchter so far. I believe we are still a long way away form final announcements for Mad Cool and i do still have high hopes

580362923_werchter2019.thumb.jpg.f6d79a8df1923309aa793ff149dc3485.jpg

Good poster that ? I enjoyed making it and I'd like to do one for mad cool but as far as I'm aware there's no day/stage information (also I assume that was what was meant was wishy washy rather than the acts themselves). I was gonna go to mad cool last year but it sold out so I ended up at Werchter instead, for me Werchter looks better this year again just personal taste because bands I like rather than anything exciting.

6 hours ago, young_contra said:

Weezer, The Cure, Florence and Underworld and Kylie is all I'd make an effort for and The Cure and Kylie will clash anyway. If I consider it as an alternative to Glastonbury for example I know for definite this won't happen. I also know Florence won't be there or Underworld but I went warehouse project anyway. Weezer is the stick out that is a case of if they want to do Glasto after Werchter and Brixton in a row.

3 hours ago, bigbad said:

Has their historically been crossover with BST shows? Would make sense of why they are waiting till today for more announcements

Didn’t share anyone in 2016 (Neil Young played Mad Cool, so maybe too soon for a return anyway?), shared Green day and KoL in 2017 and no one this year. 

So I don’t think it matters either way, in fairness except The Cure BST didn’t really have anyone this year mad cool would book anyway. 

EDIT - that’s headliners... I cba to look through the whole undercard.

Edited by alexlloyd

9 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

Didn’t share anyone in 2016 (Neil Young played Mad Cool, so maybe too soon for a return anyway?), shared Green day and KoL in 2017 and no one this year. 

So I don’t think it matters either way, in fairness except The Cure BST didn’t really have anyone this year mad cool would book anyway. 

EDIT - that’s headliners... I cba to look through the whole undercard.

I wonder if its too soon for Neil Young to come back, for most festivals I think it would be. Could argue that Neil's legend status and the international bump for the festival in the past couple years (bringing a significant new audience that wasnt their for the inaugural) would be enough to validate it. Just looked into it a bit more but its worth noting that no crossover in 2016 makes sense cause Mad Cool was in June. No headliner crossover this year is kinda interesting but probably meaningless as you said considering Paul Simons the only one who would maybe play Mad Cool. Neil Young and Foo Fighters being around in such close proximity will be an interesting test to see how much Mad Cool cares about repeating headliners in short order. 

1 hour ago, bigbad said:

I wonder if its too soon for Neil Young to come back, for most festivals I think it would be. Could argue that Neil's legend status and the international bump for the festival in the past couple years (bringing a significant new audience that wasnt their for the inaugural) would be enough to validate it. Just looked into it a bit more but its worth noting that no crossover in 2016 makes sense cause Mad Cool was in June. No headliner crossover this year is kinda interesting but probably meaningless as you said considering Paul Simons the only one who would maybe play Mad Cool. Neil Young and Foo Fighters being around in such close proximity will be an interesting test to see how much Mad Cool cares about repeating headliners in short order. 

When the guy running/involved with mad cool was posting on a forum last year I remember he said something about 2018 finally has them getting Mad Cool to the type of festival they wanted it to be, so maybe Neil Young isn’t too much of a stretch because comparing it to 2016 it’s virtually a different festival anyway... different location, more stages, higher quality undercard etc. 

Foos would be a surprise given it’s only been two years by 2019, maybe it’ll finally be Beni’s turn for them, or Doctor Music.