Mad Cool 2019

Rico_Pliskin

2 minutes ago, diogozsz said:

According to Wikipedia, she's active since 2013 if I'm not mistaken

Ah yes, "An active musician on Bandcamp since 2013". Thought they'd go with year of birth or first record release for solo artists. Seems a little weak in terms of defining the start of a career. But yeah, Tash Sultana it is, I guess.

3 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Agree that probably happened but what about this clue? Did you also get 2013? Can't see how that would link to her.

Yes I did. 2013 is the year she started her career according to Wikipedia. The clue has 6 in it which is the number of songs in her debut EP but there are not any other specific numbers like the Bon Iver's hint.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Tash Sultana is gender non-binary, by the way.

I'm more interested in the working of that problem. I've been working all these out as I see them so far but are those ratios?

Yeah they're just using : for divide. Looks odd with lines instead of dots in the font they use though.

2 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Yeah they're just using : for divide. Looks odd with lines instead of dots in the font they use though.

Coulda sworn I remembered a standard division sign on a previous one. But yeah, that makes sense ta. Guess it's wise to write this one off as Tash Sultana.

Hope they start to move away from year of formation/origin type stuff. Been done now.

Not for me this year with the announcements so far.

Do we think there will be many infrastructure and planning changes based on last years feedback? Biggest problems / solutions needed for me were;

- Wristbands should be posted (I wouldn't have mind paying the extra for shipping to the UK to skip the hours of queuing on day one)
- More shaded bar areas
- More multi-lingual bar staff with previous training or experience (I get that staff are Spanish for a Spanish festival but their audience is very much international and I've never had any problems at NOS, Sziget or Werchter).
- Better planning around leaving the site. We didn't have any problems getting there as we used the Uber entrance each day. Our problems only started with the unorganised road management, this improved each day but hopefully they get it right on day one.
- More water points. We didn't discover the free water until day two and none of the bar staff that we asked knew where it was either.
- Get rid of the 'VIP' sections. They didn't work and multiple bands complained about them and encouraged people to jump the barriers. It makes for a much better atmosphere if there isn't a massive gap between half the crowd and the stage. VIP / viewing points should be kept for the sound / lighting towers.

I'm sure there's more but I doubt I'll be there to see any changes anyway.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, D-Low said:

I really quite like the line up so far (must be the only one). But I can't help feel most of them will be at festival's closer to home plus as others have said, it's very safe so far. Nothing to really draw me in yet.

Nah it's sick again so far. Don't understand the complaints other than from the people who want more rock music. Add in some more of the likely looking acts like The Strokes, Smashing Pumpkins, Chemical Brothers, etc., and it's not looking far off last year.

15 hours ago, AndrewSmith said:

Not for me this year with the announcements so far.

Do we think there will be many infrastructure and planning changes based on last years feedback? Biggest problems / solutions needed for me were;

- Wristbands should be posted (I wouldn't have mind paying the extra for shipping to the UK to skip the hours of queuing on day one)
- More shaded bar areas
- More multi-lingual bar staff with previous training or experience (I get that staff are Spanish for a Spanish festival but their audience is very much international and I've never had any problems at NOS, Sziget or Werchter).
- Better planning around leaving the site. We didn't have any problems getting there as we used the Uber entrance each day. Our problems only started with the unorganised road management, this improved each day but hopefully they get it right on day one.
- More water points. We didn't discover the free water until day two and none of the bar staff that we asked knew where it was either.
- Get rid of the 'VIP' sections. They didn't work and multiple bands complained about them and encouraged people to jump the barriers. It makes for a much better atmosphere if there isn't a massive gap between half the crowd and the stage. VIP / viewing points should be kept for the sound / lighting towers.

I'm sure there's more but I doubt I'll be there to see any changes anyway.

A few pointers below, not to devalue your comments but to aid others if they are thinking of going this year.

My wristbands were posted and I'm form the UK. I suppose it depends when you booked the tickets, i booked mine early? 

The sun was only out for about 3 hours, I wore a hat and sun cream but I do agree on the extra shade for the bars, although there were other areas for shade.

I loved the fact i had to learn Spanish for "coke and red wine please" - their local drink and it was better than i thought!

To get home, we walked for ten minutes away from the site and had no problems getting a taxi or Uber

The bar staff will not tell you where the water is as they want to sell you bottles of it! We asked people in the crowd, within 5 minutes we had the answer  - another 5 minutes and we had water

VIP  is agreed - this needs to change, either more VIP tickets to fill  those sections or do away with it. Early bands they let anyone in there  - Wolf Alice for example  - i was in VIP but didn't have VIP  bands. Maybe allow VIP's in there first and then let others in until full. 

I know you didn't mention this but i have seen so many people moan that the card machines didn't work and the cues for cash were crazy - don't EVER turn up to a festival without CASH! It's not a high street  - always carry enough to get at least a couple of drinks or as my nan says " To keep the muggers happy" LOL

Lastly, If you can  - get a hotel near the site, don't stay in the centre of Madrid, however tempting it may seem its so much harder to get to / from the festival. It's much easier to stay outside of the centre near the festival and get a train, bus, tram, taxi  INTO Madrid when you want to go. 

Those are my tips and pointers to anyone thinking or wanting to go this year that has not been previously. The first day last year was hard work but don't believe the haters, it was a lot better the two following days and i am sure it will be even better next year.  

• Upvote 1

The Voidz which includes Julian Casablancas from the Strokes just announced LA and NYC shows for February. Albert Hammond Jr. also has tour dates until March. I am not sure if they will come back as the Strokes in the summer. Are there any other rumors besides headlining Latitude Festival?

Edited by birchtree29

48 minutes ago, birchtree29 said:

The Voidz which includes Julian Casablancas from the Strokes just announced LA and NYC shows for February. Albert Hammond Jr. also has tour dates until March. I am not sure if they will come back as the Strokes in the summer. Are there any other rumors besides headlining Latitude Festival?

All 3 bands have played on the same bill at festivals before, so not ruled out at all.

4 hours ago, jonnytee1 said:

A few pointers below, not to devalue your comments but to aid others if they are thinking of going this year.

My wristbands were posted and I'm form the UK. I suppose it depends when you booked the tickets, i booked mine early? 

The sun was only out for about 3 hours, I wore a hat and sun cream but I do agree on the extra shade for the bars, although there were other areas for shade.

I loved the fact i had to learn Spanish for "coke and red wine please" - their local drink and it was better than i thought!

To get home, we walked for ten minutes away from the site and had no problems getting a taxi or Uber

The bar staff will not tell you where the water is as they want to sell you bottles of it! We asked people in the crowd, within 5 minutes we had the answer  - another 5 minutes and we had water

VIP  is agreed - this needs to change, either more VIP tickets to fill  those sections or do away with it. Early bands they let anyone in there  - Wolf Alice for example  - i was in VIP but didn't have VIP  bands. Maybe allow VIP's in there first and then let others in until full. 

I know you didn't mention this but i have seen so many people moan that the card machines didn't work and the cues for cash were crazy - don't EVER turn up to a festival without CASH! It's not a high street  - always carry enough to get at least a couple of drinks or as my nan says " To keep the muggers happy" LOL

Lastly, If you can  - get a hotel near the site, don't stay in the centre of Madrid, however tempting it may seem its so much harder to get to / from the festival. It's much easier to stay outside of the centre near the festival and get a train, bus, tram, taxi  INTO Madrid when you want to go. 

Those are my tips and pointers to anyone thinking or wanting to go this year that has not been previously. The first day last year was hard work but don't believe the haters, it was a lot better the two following days and i am sure it will be even better next year.  

Yeah can't disagree with anything you say, mostly down to personal experience from day one of the festival.

Can't say that they didn't improve things on day two and three as the traffic was managed much better by the police and taxis were much easier to get. We went back out through the tunnel / uber entrance and went onto the road to hail down a taxi where it wasn't busy instead. 

Something I missed is that on day one we missed Slaves because of how slow they were to let people in the gates. More comms needed on that from their side.

I wouldn't discourage anyone who likes the acts at the festival from going because for the price it is a really good festival. They just had lots of teething errors that didn't help them. They will learn and improve for their 2nd year at the new site.