Mad Cool 2019

Rico_Pliskin

3 hours ago, Nicklord said:

But then why is Tool headlining Rock Werchter if people don't know them? 

Like I’ve been trying to say, because of their legacy, same with Eminem, they’re big acts who were massive, they either don’t do stuff now or make shit music now, they’re not relevant and booked on status alone

Tool is a headliner there. They wrote that in press release, something like "we have 6 headliners so far - Tool, Muse, Pink, Florence, Mumford and The Cure"

Tool is relevant. They'll have a new album out next year and they've been playing new songs live and it will sell way more than The National one. Also The National is touring their latest album to death. It's not really an inspiring booking for 2019.

And don't get me wrong. I like both of them. Actually I like The National way more but Tool is way bigger booking than them and the fact they didn't tour Europe since 2007 alone makes them relevant

• Upvote 1

Just now, James96 said:

These announcements are pretty great for me, probably better than some of the ones from last year. I just don't know if I could commit to going due to how poor it was last year.

Try NOS.  Line ups are almost identical and it's a fantastic weekend.

20 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I can't right see them playing Mad Cool and not, like, Rock Werchter and Roskilde and all that. Plus I don't think Spain is a market for them.

Probably gonna need a massive name from somewhere though. Guessing someone who's too recently been at RW so hasn't troubled their 2019 headline selection. McCartney or Chili Peppers I'd hazard a guess at rn.

Interesting point re: Fleetwood Mac, backed up by album sales (albeit historic) too...

America
– US – 10,200,000
– Canada – 1,100,000
Asia
– Japan – 225,000
Oceania
– Australia – 825,000
– New Zealand – 175,000
Europe – 4,970,000
– UK – 1,875,000
– France – 300,000
– Germany – 925,000
– Italy – 225,000
– Spain – 250,000
– Sweden – 150,000
– Netherland – 325,000
– Switzerland – 75,000
– Austria – 30,000
World – 19,300,000

1 minute ago, 40 Days said:

Bon Iver - hardly a surprise. They are really going to need to balance this up with some proper rock acts soon, especially after this year which for me was the best line-up on the planet.

They can only book what's available, and there doesn't seem to be that many traditional 'rock' acts floating about next year. The Cure are the big one and Mad Cool have already got them. 

8 minutes ago, James96 said:

I'm thinking either that or Primavera

never been to Nos or Mad Cool but I can definitely recommend Primavera, incredible festival. Definitely more of a festival feeling than that of a big gig with support acts which is how a friend of mine described Nos. Organisation is top notch too and the line up is always unbeatable for me. 

6 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

never been to Nos or Mad Cool but I can definitely recommend Primavera, incredible festival. Definitely more of a festival feeling than that of a big gig with support acts which is how a friend of mine described Nos. Organisation is top notch too and the line up is always unbeatable for me. 

I've wanted to go to Primavera for years but just struggle to sell it to a group of friends (some of the more quirky acts don't catch their attention as much as mine)

12 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Pretty sure Mad Cool was announced along with all of Pearl Jam's dates too?

I'm talking about the hints they dropped leading up to it. Pretty sure they dropped on Friday right before the weekend for the Pearl Jam announcement on Monday and for the Arctic Monkeys they also hinted in the week before the announcement that AM was coming (see, Sheffield). And with hints I'm referring to the the little video's they used to post with the locations or being vague (and then deleting posts) on Facebook.

18 minutes ago, James96 said:

I'm thinking either that or Primavera

Primavera is a great festival. Wonderful location and generally well-organised. It depends what you're looking for though, it's very chilled out, much less of a party than the likes of Benicassim, Mad Cool and many British festivals. Can't speak for NOS Alive, haven't been. 

I can't really understand NOS' hype. I used to go there since the very beginning (last time was in 2016). Last year I went to Mad Cool and it's far better. The festival experience can't be compared (the sound in amazing, the place is bigger which makes it much more comfortable, people go there for the music - people in Portugal go there to share pics in instagram and to speak during the shows; also "colas" in NOS Alive are really worse than Mad Cool...). I'm from Portugal and I understand why people from abroad likes Alive (life here is really cheaper). But, concerning festival experience, between Mad Cool and NOS (with a similar line-up) I would chose Mad Cool!