Mad Cool 2019

Rico_Pliskin

2 hours ago, OddRon said:

Are Tool relevant? I'd say mainstream audiences probably wouldn't be able to name more one song, they don't have the legacy of old old bands like The Cure or Depeche Mode either 

Why? Can mainstream audience name more than two songs about The National? 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Their last two albums did get somewhat of a commercial attention. The System (...) isn't unknown and they'll always have Terrible Love, Fake Empire, Bloodbuzz Ohio and I Need My Girl under their belt. Tool have a big legion of fans and they're very big on their scene but I wouldn't consider them relevant without giving it a bit of context

I think Tool soldout this Arena tour under 15 minutes in most cities, venues like Ziggo Dome Amsterdam, Berlin Mercedes Arena etc...all 16,000 to 20,000 capacities, all in 15 minutes. So i would say they are doing OK. But then again, not sure are they relevant to people under 25, guess at those shows its mostly 35+ audience.

2 hours ago, The Martini Police said:

Yep. Add to that The Strokes = 2019's Arctic Monkeys, Chemical Brothers = 2019's Justice and dare I say it, Fleetwood Mac = 2019's Pearl Jam and we're in business. 

I can't right see them playing Mad Cool and not, like, Rock Werchter and Roskilde and all that. Plus I don't think Spain is a market for them.

Probably gonna need a massive name from somewhere though. Guessing someone who's too recently been at RW so hasn't troubled their 2019 headline selection. McCartney or Chili Peppers I'd hazard a guess at rn.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I can't right see them playing Mad Cool and not, like, Rock Werchter and Roskilde and all that. Plus I don't think Spain is a market for them.

Probably gonna need a massive name from somewhere though. Guessing someone who's too recently been at RW so hasn't troubled their 2019 headline selection. McCartney or Chili Peppers I'd hazard a guess at rn.

You're literally looking at this year in that case the rate Werchter recycle their headliners :P 

Edited by the wonderwhy

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I'm sure you're right, but after that Pinkpop announcement, I'd say it's just about possible even if that chance is minimal. Would you expect Pinkpop to be a one-off (if so, how do they have the money and others don't?)? And how come Spain isn't a market for them? Kinda assumed that were huge all over the world tbh. 

Didn't realise RHCP had an album coming out, could be a great shout.

14 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Yeah was gonna say they'd be this years Underworld if anything, surely? 

Also, aren't they planning on adding a third big arse stage this year? 

God why are they still making changes instead of just fixing the festival in its current state? Probs still be building it when gates open.

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

3 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

You're literally looking at this year in that case the rate Werchter recycle their headliners :P 

Agreed but also agree on it being someone who can't be at Werchter for one reason or another. Macca would be p much ruled out of Werchter due to his Wednesday US date and then Glasto, so that makes sense.

RHCP are a fair shout, too, though.

5 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

McCartney would make sense if Neil's BST info is correct.

Yeah would be cash. Something like [McCartney // F+TM - The Strokes // The Cure - The Smashing Pumpkins] seems realistic and I'd like it a lot. Then like National, Bon Iver, Chems, Foals, Two Door and Interpol on second line.

2 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Trve

Just now, The Martini Police said:

Yeah I'm sure you're right, but after that Pinkpop announcement, I'd say it's just about possible even if that chance is minimal. Would you expect Pinkpop to be a one-off (if so, how do they have the money and others don't?)? And how come Spain isn't a market for them? Kinda assumed that were huge all over the world tbh. 

Didn't realise RHCP had an album coming out, could be a great shout.

Ugh I didn't realise it either.

FM haven't ever played Spain as far as I can see. Pinkpop have a similar legendary festival draw that Glastonbury does - it's the only other festival that seems to get Coldplay and the Stones nowadays too, so F-Mac isn't much of a surprise.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah would be cash. Something like [McCartney // F+TM - The Strokes // The Cure - The Smashing Pumpkins] seems realistic and I'd like it a lot. Then like National, Bon Iver, Chems, Foals, Two Door and Interpol on second line.

This would be as good if not better than 2018 for me, that looks incredible.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

FM haven't ever played Spain as far as I can see. Pinkpop have a similar legendary festival draw that Glastonbury does - it's the only other festival that seems to get Coldplay and the Stones nowadays too, so F-Mac isn't much of a surprise.

Solid points, had no idea. Cheers.

4 hours ago, birchtree29 said:

People are expecting something big since 4 of Rock Werchter’s headliners will not be at Mad Cool (Muse, Tool, Mumford and Sons, Pink) and they showed last year that they can convince unique bands like Tame Impala to come to Madrid. 

Mad Cool stepped on a lot of toes this/last year how they marketed their festival (announcing like half of their line up when others were just announcing their headliners, announcing PJ before anyone else (+ the amount of hints leading up to it, announcing AM before anyone else etc). This year will be different.

• Downvote 1

If Mad Cool wants to keep up with the level of hype they created with last years line up, this year they would need to have some of the following :: Smashing Pumpkins, The Strokes, Fleetwood Mac, Neil Young, Kanye West, Coldplay, Paul McCartney.

If they go out with just a "regular" line up, thats solid but with nothing extra on it, most people will consider it a big step down from last year.

6 hours ago, arcuse said:

Mad Cool stepped on a lot of toes this/last year how they marketed their festival (announcing like half of their line up when others were just announcing their headliners, announcing PJ before anyone else (+ the amount of hints leading up to it, announcing AM before anyone else etc). This year will be different.

6 hours ago, birchtree29 said:

Every festival announced Arctic Monkeys on 29th of January. The only exception was Firefly Festival in the U.S.

Pretty sure Mad Cool was announced along with all of Pearl Jam's dates too?

8 hours ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

You can't be aruging that Tool are more relevant than The National regardless of how you feel about The National, they've released new award nominated music and are often at festivals so many people will know them and I know we hate to go off spotify stats but they signal mainstream appeal and The National's new music alone is getting 10-20 million listens. The only time Tool are mentioned nowadays is either because they're moaning about phones, teasing new music( for 12 years now, destroying most relevancy) or being accused of sexual assault

I'm from Portugal and I went many times to NOS Alive, but I feel the need to go to a new festival and Mad Cool seems perfect. Besides, The National is one of my favourite bands, so one more reason to go.

Thus, do you think the festival conditions and organisation are good enough?

Edited by joaommaia

1 minute ago, joaommaia said:

I'm from Portugal and I went many times to NOS Alive, but I feel the need to go to a new festival and Mad Cool seems perfect. Besides, The National is one of my favourite bands, so one more reason to go.

I mean, they were horrendous last year (mostly just the first day) but it didn't get in the way of it being a good weekend.

4 hours ago, OddRon said:

You can't be aruging that Tool are more relevant than The National regardless of how you feel about The National, they've released new award nominated music and are often at festivals so many people will know them and I know we hate to go off spotify stats but they signal mainstream appeal and The National's new music alone is getting 10-20 million listens. The only time Tool are mentioned nowadays is either because they're moaning about phones, teasing new music( for 12 years now, destroying most relevancy) or being accused of sexual assault

But then why is Tool headlining Rock Werchter if people don't know them? 

7 hours ago, OddRon said:

Same reasons why they kinda sold out all the tour in Europe day one and they are in the position to sell exclusives shows per country, I guess.

You can say that Tool are sectorial but you can't say that they are the big thing around this year - as Eminem was last year. Like it or not.

7 hours ago, joaommaia said:

The organisation was awful last year.  They were very lucky that somebody wasn't seriously hurt on the first day.  Unbelievable lineup and great value for money.  I would be tempted to go back this year in the hope that they've sorted out the issues

20 minutes ago, Username taken said:

The organisation was awful last year.  They were very lucky that somebody wasn't seriously hurt on the first day.  Unbelievable lineup and great value for money.  I would be tempted to go back this year in the hope that they've sorted out the issues

They sorted out the issues of the first day by the second day (mostly) and by the third day i saw very few problems at all.

I'd certainly give it another go

7 hours ago, joaommaia said:

Sort of echoing what people have already said, they clearly weren't prepared for the bigger crowd the first day but it did improve, it was still hard work to get home the other two nights for us anyway and queues at the bar did pile up again, but only a couple of times, you just need to be tactful when you go like most places.

In fairness when I think back to Mad Cool it's the Thursday when I got to see Fleet Foxes, Leon Bridges, Tame Impala, Pearl Jam, Post Malone, Kasabian and MGMT all in one night that jumps to mind first, not the stress of the lack of organisation. So if you can handle that for the sake of a line up it may be worth giving it a go, I'm sure they'll have learned some lessons from this year, you'd hope so anyway.