Mad Cool 2019

Rico_Pliskin

Damn people are quick to judge on here.

The National will be either a smaller co-headliner or a sub. In those slots last year we had QOTSA, Jack White and Tame Impala. The National fit perfectly amongst these acts and as a live proposition they're better than QOTSA, at least.

The 1975 will probably take a similar slot to the likes of Kasabian, Dua Lipa and Jack Johnson. You guys are acting as though they're getting in the way of other huge acts playing.

Last year the first two acts announced were QOTSA and Future Islands. This year it's The National and The 1975. Seems pretty on par with last year so far, to me.

And it seems The Cure will be announced tomorrow, anyway.

Fwiw, the dates that the bigger/most liked on here acts were announced last year were:

7/11: QOTSA

15/11: Massive Attack

16/11: Depeche Mode

20/11: Nine Inch Nails

22/11: Justice

1/12: Pearl Jam

14/12: Tame Impala

18/1: Jack White

29/1: Arctic Monkeys

6/2: Underworld

So have some patience, eh. By the end of the month we could easily have something like The National, The Cure, The Chemical Brothers, The Strokes and Orbital announced or something. The 1975 being announced second doesn't get in the way of anything.

Edited by Gucci Piggy
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Were Arctic Monkeys only announced in April? :blink:

Just now, birchtree29 said:

Arctic Monkeys was announced on 29/1

Ah I was scrolling through their IG looking for the announcement posts and missed the AM one cos they posted it in a different format to all the rest. Then when they released their album Mad Cool posted about it and the picture was the same format as the announcement pics. Didn't read the captions.

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

The National will be either a smaller co-headliner or a sub.

Haven't they been called a headliner in the press release though? Smaller co-headliner though yeah. Something like this year's Jack White with the 1975 taking a slot like Kasabian's. Agree with your wider point, nothing to worry about.

I think the benefit last year as well was we basically knew PJ, Arctics and Jack White were coming, so the smaller announcements weren’t too concerning because it was a case of when the acts we wanted were announced not if. 

But like @Gucci Piggy says, it wasn’t even on my radar after the first handful of announcements really, and turned out to be the best line up I’ve ever seen. 

11 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Haven't they been called a headliner in the press release though? Smaller co-headliner though yeah. Something like this year's Jack White with the 1975 taking a slot like Kasabian's. Agree with your wider point, nothing to worry about.

I followed the link where people were saying they'd been named as a headliner but I couldn't see anything on there so idk.

Apparently last year that website listed the likes of Massive Attack and Tame Impala amongst the headliners, too.

I think the smaller co-headliner is the most obvious slot for them, anyway.

The Cure = 2019's Depeche Mode

The National = 2019's QoTSA

The 1975 = 2019's Tame Impala or Kasabian

Problem for me right now is just how soppy the line-up could get with the three above and Mumford & Sons, Bon Iver and someone like Florence and The Machine too.

• Upvote 1

People are upset with Mad Cool because this year’s announcement schedule of European festivals are different compared to last year. Because of being on the same weekend with Glastonbury, Rock Werchter had already announced 6 of it’s headliners and none of them are quite suprising like Pearl Jam or even Arctic Monkeys last year.

People are expecting something big since 4 of Rock Werchter’s headliners will not be at Mad Cool (Muse, Tool, Mumford and Sons, Pink) and they showed last year that they can convince unique bands like Tame Impala to come to Madrid. 

8 minutes ago, 40 Days said:

Problem for me right now is just how soppy the line-up could get with the three above and Mumford & Sons, Bon Iver and someone like Florence and The Machine too.

I'd honestly say: The 1975 = MGMT

8 minutes ago, birchtree29 said:

People are upset with Mad Cool because this year’s announcement schedule of European festivals are different compared to last year. Because of being on the same weekend with Glastonbury, Rock Werchter had already announced 6 of it’s headliners and none of them are quite suprising like Pearl Jam or even Arctic Monkeys last year.

People are expecting something big since 4 of Rock Werchter’s headliners will not be at Mad Cool (Muse, Tool, Mumford and Sons, Pink) and they showed last year that they can convince unique bands like Tame Impala to come to Madrid. 

^

It depends on what Live Nation will do. Pretty weird that they sold the most relevant show of the summer (Tool) to Download as an exclusive

57 minutes ago, 40 Days said:

Yep. Add to that The Strokes = 2019's Arctic Monkeys, Chemical Brothers = 2019's Justice and dare I say it, Fleetwood Mac = 2019's Pearl Jam and we're in business.