Mad Cool 2019

Rico_Pliskin

46 minutes ago, YunT said:

I'm not that sure about Radiohead not touring next year.

As I've been told there are a couple of fests trying to come up with a summer tour through Europe. 

Thom Yorke will tour on his own. Also I'm just criticizing your mock, no need to downvote for that my dude.

19 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I get the feeling Smashing Pumpkins won't be doing non-headline slots with this reunion.

Same. The reunion didn't get much hype (all the bitching between band members over the past few months must've done not much good either I think).

Edited by arcuse
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I didn't downvote your post mate, I'm not that kind of guy. 

The point with Smashing Pumpkins is that we're talking about a fest which had Kasabian, NIN and Massive Attack as third acts on each of every day. 

I know Corgan's ego but Mad Cool is a huge fest and probably having a big headliner up on the lineup (let's say Muse or Coldplay) could easily turn them into subliners. 

Edited by YunT

34 minutes ago, YunT said:

Aight, I'm sorry. :) 

First question for me is, how is this festival going forward. In a lot of reviews, I read that the music was stelar but the organisation was so-so at best. They really lacked there and I wonder how that's gonna affect the festival going into 2019. That Massive Attack canceled is organisationally a big deal, cause even though MC tried all they could and MA were probably on the bitchy side.. It's still a big deal that one of their top names canceled due to some difficulties. Are bands, or rather their agents, happy to come back to a festival like Mad Cool or would they rather play Primavera/BBK/Benicassim instead next year?

Because you can throw all the money you want at bands but that doesn't mean they were happy playing at your festival. A lot of things were lacking last year and it's not only about that 30 mins you had to wait for your pizza or beer.

49 minutes ago, YunT said:

The point with Smashing Pumpkins is that we're talking about a fest which had Kasabian, NIN and Massive Attack as third acts on each of every day. 

I know Corgan's ego but Mad Cool is a huge fest and probably having a big headliner up on the lineup (let's say Muse or Coldplay) could easily turn them into subliners. 

Kasabian aren't that big outside of the UK; they don't headline major festivals (maybe Beni but that's a very UK-centric festival).

Nine Inch Nails aren't a fresh reunion; they're releasing new music and playing festivals (in non-headline slots) all over the world to promote it. Massive Attack are the same as NIN; they also don't headline major festivals. You can see both of these at loads of festivals every other year.

Smashing Pumpkins are a new reunion with a lineup that hasn't been seen together in a long time. They're charging ridiculous prices for their own shows and you can be sure the reason for the reunion is to make a shitload of money. I doubt they're gonna be accepting non-headline slots and the fees that come with them. If Jack White can headline it I don't see the "classic" lineup Smashing Pumpkins doing anything less. Just swap em with Björk and it's more realistic (even though I can't see her playing).

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Kasabian aren't that big outside of the UK; they don't headline major festivals (maybe Beni but that's a very UK-centric festival).

Nine Inch Nails aren't a fresh reunion; they're releasing new music and playing festivals (in non-headline slots) all over the world to promote it. Massive Attack are the same as NIN; they also don't headline major festivals. You can see both of these at loads of festivals every other year.

Smashing Pumpkins are a new reunion with a lineup that hasn't been seen together in a long time. They're charging ridiculous prices for their own shows and you can be sure the reason for the reunion is to make a shitload of money. I doubt they're gonna be accepting non-headline slots and the fees that come with them. If Jack White can headline it I don't see the "classic" lineup Smashing Pumpkins doing anything less. Just swap em with Björk and it's more realistic (even though I can't see her playing).

NIN didn't tour at all in 2015 or 2016. They've been on a run of shows in 17 and 18 and who knows how long that will continue. 

Smashing Pumpkins are not a headliner, unless you're doing a radio station one day festival with 15 terrible bands on the bill.

• Upvote 1

Pumpkins are playing 3 hour sets and getting pretty solid reviews but I don’t think they are selling out the admittedly large venues they are playing at.

That said I also don’t think they’ll play a festival without being headliner and I consider them big enough to headline here as one of two.

Disclaimer though...I am nearly 40 so probably they are bigger in my eyes than many of the younger folk on the forum.

I do agree with the fact that Kasabian aren't that big outside UK. However, they did headline Werchter (as second headliner, but they were two) and Open'er a couple of years ago which I think are pretty big too. 

Smashing Pumpkins could be a little bigger than them and that's why I put them as subliners and not as the third act of the day. 

So honestly the comparison is with Jack White, QOTSA and Tame Impala which I believe is pretty accurate. 

Edited by YunT
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, YunT said:

I do agree with the fact that Kasabian aren't that big outside UK. However, they did headline Werchter (as second headliner, but they were two) and Open'er a couple of years ago which I think are pretty big too. 

Smashing Pumpkins could be a little bigger than them and that's why I put them as subliners and not as the third act of the day. 

So honestly the comparison is with Jack White, QOTSA and Tame Impala which I believe is pretty accurate. 

I'm pretty sure they were just a standard sub at Werchter the last time they played. It wasn't a co-headline deal.

Interesting article in Forbes analysing why Pumpkins tour is not selling well and perhaps why those saying they are not big enough to headline a major festival are correct....

excerpt here:

They’re simply not big enough to fill arenas

I hate to be the one to say it, but the truth is hiding in plain sight. The Smashing Pumpkins haven’t had a bonafide smash album in more than 20 years. They never created a musical paradigm shift or moved as many units as Nirvana, and they didn’t age as gracefully as Pearl Jam, who have graduated to playing stadiums and assumed the “rock n’ roll everyman hero” mantle previously reserved for guys like Bruce Springsteen. The Smashing Pumpkins have always been a vehicle for Billy Corgan to express the inner machinations of his psyche, so a partial reunion doesn’t generate the same hysterical reaction as Axl Rose and Slash burying the hatchet for the sake of the Guns N’ Roses reunion.

And hey, there’s nothing wrong with that! Corgan, Chamberlin and Iha could still embark on a technically proficient, emotionally resonant, high-production tour that packs large theaters or amphitheaters, and nobody could fault them for it. It’s possible that in the next five months, fans could snap up enough tickets to justify the Pumpkins playing arenas. But as of right now, it looks like Corgan’s ego and ambition overshadowed his ability to think rationally about the band’s commercial prospects. Now, he faces a decision that has dogged him repeatedly throughout his career: Will he double down on his initial convictions, or will he exercise humility and course-correct for the wellbeing of the band? As always, there’s no telling which path Corgan will choose, but his decision will determine the legacy of the Shiny and Oh So Bright tour.”

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, arcuse said:

First question for me is, how is this festival going forward. In a lot of reviews, I read that the music was stelar but the organisation was so-so at best. They really lacked there and I wonder how that's gonna affect the festival going into 2019. That Massive Attack canceled is organisationally a big deal, cause even though MC tried all they could and MA were probably on the bitchy side.. It's still a big deal that one of their top names canceled due to some difficulties. Are bands, or rather their agents, happy to come back to a festival like Mad Cool or would they rather play Primavera/BBK/Benicassim instead next year?

Because you can throw all the money you want at bands but that doesn't mean they were happy playing at your festival. A lot of things were lacking last year and it's not only about that 30 mins you had to wait for your pizza or beer.

The MA thing surely benefits nobody, I however don't see many other reasons for bands not wanting to come play next year (apart from, perhaps, the over sized VIP area). The lineup wasn't the only stellar thing, so were the sound and stage production. I believe that counts much more from the agent's/band's perspective.
The clusterfuck regarding organisation is another thing, but that was debated enough already.

11 hours ago, StupidDream said:

Source? Or just a hunch?

Could see them do both, like Pearl Jam this year. But I'm not an insider nor a fan.

Lucky for us, we’ll be back!! Look for info here in September about our return in May of 2019 for a run of stadiums through August. And already we cannot wait! Until then, THANK YOU!!

This was posted all the way back in May (11th to be exact) after finishing their EU leg. Plus I got a source confirming a stadium tour. It could be something like Pearl Jam did this year with a bunch of festivals mixed in but I wouldn't get my hopes up to much.

I suppose it is each to their own, as i am approaching 40 i am excited by the prospect of Smashing Pumpkins playing festivals next year. I did not bat an eye lid when I saw tickets for their Wembley gig were over £70 as Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie are two of my fave albums in a 2000 album collection. For me they were defining of an era but i can also appreciate that most people attending the festival probably weren't born then. I'd love to see them co headline. 

Imagine a Pixies / Smashing Pumpkins evening Pixies in the NIN  slot from last year and SP co headlining with someone else. 

I might be dreaming but if there was an evening like this with Muse and Fleetwood Mac on the other nights, id cut my balls off to be there

• Upvote 1