NOS Alive 2019

AlexTurnah

18 minutes ago, sinivali said:

Derp, got my wires crossed somehow, guess I'm keeping an eye on too many threads here at a time ?

It's understandable, I saw the notification pop up at 12:00 from NOS and got excited only to find a 'Friday I'm in Love' caption and a GIF ?

5 hours ago, diogozsz said:

Can't see neither Vampire Weekend nor Bon Iver as co-headliners tbh

They don't always have a co-headlining construction or advertise it as such? So it would be head and sub, probably. Were Jack White and The National subs or co-headliners? In case of The National next to QotSA I would almost say co-head, for Jack White under Pearl Jam a good sub. Difficult to say what the exact size of The Strokes and Smashing Pumpkins is, maybe similar to QotSA, or bigger but smaller than PJ and AM?

I think Bon Iver and Vampire Weekend aren't too far of from The National, maybe just a tad smaller (also less albums). Only thing I don't know is how well they're known in Portugal - they seem to have quite good musical tastes :lol:

7 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

Would it be fair to assume they wouldn’t waste time making this video if they were going to announce another name in 12 hours and make the video outdated? Wonder if this could mean a few more days at least 

Fair assumption, yeah. Just kind of makes me wonder why they announced The Cure so early as it seems that announcing Bon Iver was more of a damage control stunt rather than a proper move (or maybe it was but bandsintown rushed it). I'd like to believe that we'll get at least one new confirmation this week but I won't get my hopes up.

2 minutes ago, young_contra said:

Fair assumption, yeah. Just kind of makes me wonder why they announced The Cure so early as it seems that announcing Bon Iver was more of a damage control stunt rather than a proper move (or maybe it was but bandsintown rushed it). I'd like to believe that we'll get at least one new confirmation this week but I won't get my hopes up. 

Yeah I was hoping for one this week but that's kind of got me doubting, particularly annoying when you can bet Mad Cool will get another five names this week on top of the two acts already announced for NOS, The National, Vampire Weekend and The 1975.

Seems odd to wait when you consider how competitive it'll be next year with Mad Cool, Bilbao BBK and Doctor Music all this same weekend, but I don't know what the ratio of Portugese to foreigners is and I suppose that mainly applies to those considering travelling for a festival.

1 minute ago, alexlloyd said:

Yeah I was hoping for one this week but that's kind of got me doubting, particularly annoying when you can bet Mad Cool will get another five names this week on top of the two acts already announced for NOS, The National, Vampire Weekend and The 1975.

Seems odd to wait when you consider how competitive it'll be next year with Mad Cool, Bilbao BBK and Doctor Music all this same weekend, but I don't know what the ratio of Portugese to foreigners is and I suppose that mainly applies to those considering travelling for a festival.

Mad Cool has a mad cool approach to announcing names tbh. It keeps its audience engaged and that is something that NOS Alive fails in doing, they pretty much give out names at a random pace (but always at 9am gmt). Fingers crossed that the next announcement is AT LEAST a sub headliner.

Portuguese audience wise, NOS Alive really has nothing to fear... They've no competition whatsoever. Internationally, I guess that it'll depend on how the overall lineup will end up being like, considering not only the headliners. I have no clue if it is cheaper than Mad Cool, although that is the impression I get, so that may also play a certain role. Eh, they'll surely sell out at least one day regardless of any of this... As per usual. 

5 minutes ago, young_contra said:

Mad Cool has a mad cool approach to announcing names tbh. It keeps its audience engaged and that is something that NOS Alive fails in doing, they pretty much give out names at a random pace (but always at 9am gmt). Fingers crossed that the next announcement is AT LEAST a sub headliner.

Portuguese audience wise, NOS Alive really has nothing to fear... They've no competition whatsoever. Internationally, I guess that it'll depend on how the overall lineup will end up being like, considering not only the headliners. I have no clue if it is cheaper than Mad Cool, although that is the impression I get, so that may also play a certain role. Eh, they'll surely sell out at least one day regardless of any of this... As per usual. 

Yeah I guess I’ve never really paid attention to NOS’s announcements before, it was pretty early on when I’d made other plans the last 2-3 years.

I did think that, I don’t know of any other major Portuguese festival except Primavera Porto and that looks like it would attract a slightly different crowd anyway. 

Yeah I think bar them announcing two headliners I know nothing about and a poor undercard I’ll be going NOS, but I’m always a little nervous until I see the acts and have tickets sorted. 

41 minutes ago, Tremousse said:

From the last announcements in Spain this week, I'd take Tash Sultana (Mad Cool) and Gang of Youths (Cruilla) they would be perfect for NOS Alive! 

Agreed, been listening to a bit of Gang of Youths recently, think they’d be equally as good in an evening or a late night slot as well so wouldn’t be too bothered when they played.

3 hours ago, diogozsz said:

I don't remember Alive announcing on Friday, most of their announcements were between Monday and Thursday, i guess.

So, I didn't have time, but checked it anyway. Only looked at announcements for the main and second stage. Most often its Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. Monday a bit less frequent, but about the same as Friday. Friday announcements for edition 2018 were Japandroids, Nine Inch Nails, Rag'n'Bone Man, Pearl Jam (one big global announcement), Future Islands, The National. No real pattern to be found; in some weeks they did consecutive days (one or two per day). 

November 15, 2017 they had just two names with QotSA added. End of November added four smaller names, then December 1st came Pearl Jam. They've just started a bit earlier this year.