NOS Alive 2019

AlexTurnah

43 minutes ago, Yatesbomb said:

Are people still thinking Tame Impala/Strokes/Fleetwood Mac for bands to be announced? 

Another 20 or so bands to announce if the lineup is as full as 2017. Even just one of those would be great at this point. 

I see Janelle Monet and the Hives dont have a gig for the Friday eithet which would make things interesting. 

Janelle is at Super Bock. 

1 hour ago, Yatesbomb said:

Are people still thinking Tame Impala/Strokes/Fleetwood Mac for bands to be announced? 

Another 20 or so bands to announce if the lineup is as full as 2017. Even just one of those would be great at this point. 

I see Janelle Monet and the Hives dont have a gig for the Friday eithet which would make things interesting. 

And Tame Impala are ruled out. 

The Hives are a big possibility 

30 minutes ago, Tremousse said:

And Tame Impala are ruled out. 

The Hives are a big possibility 

Tame Impala aren't, The Strokes are. Tame Impala's schedule makes little sense so hard to tell whether that makes them more or less likely, they have no Portuguese dates in 2019 however it's hard to imagine why they weren't already announced.

Fleetwood Mac believed to be too expensive? They have a couple of European dates in June, July off, Australia/New Zealand dates, another month off and then USA. Unlikely at best.

The Hives could only do Friday. They are doing Mad Cool which makes them more likely, along with pretty much every other Mad Cool act with no Portuguese dates and not doing Bilbao/Doctor music.

The real question is why the silence. I can understand someone like Gambino cancelling, possibly even plan b falling through, but they surely aren't scrambling for another 10 acts? At this point in time I'd expect artists already booked but not announced to be announced, not acts announced disappearing from the posters ?

1 hour ago, clasher said:

Tame Impala aren't, The Strokes are. Tame Impala's schedule makes little sense so hard to tell whether that makes them more or less likely, they have no Portuguese dates in 2019 however it's hard to imagine why they weren't already announced.

Fleetwood Mac believed to be too expensive? They have a couple of European dates in June, July off, Australia/New Zealand dates, another month off and then USA. Unlikely at best.

The Hives could only do Friday. They are doing Mad Cool which makes them more likely, along with pretty much every other Mad Cool act with no Portuguese dates and not doing Bilbao/Doctor music.

The real question is why the silence. I can understand someone like Gambino cancelling, possibly even plan b falling through, but they surely aren't scrambling for another 10 acts? At this point in time I'd expect artists already booked but not announced to be announced, not acts announced disappearing from the posters ?

Tame Impala played at Mad Cool last year... Not ruled out, you're right, but highly unlikely for NOS Alive then, because the two festivals will certainly share the last headliner. 

Just now, Tremousse said:

Tame Impala played at Mad Cool last year... Not ruled out, you're right, but highly unlikely for NOS Alive then, because the two festivals will certainly share the last headliner. 

The National did NOS last year and are headlining Mad Cool this year... (grasping at straws as I really like them, I admit)

As for sharing the last headliner - judging by last year's cooperation between the two festivals (and that's literally the only thing to base the shared headliner thing on) - it's likely. However it makes more sense that a planned shared headliner pulled out of both festivals, rather than both festivals leaving it this late to book or even agree on one. So unless there's an embargo on a biiiiiig name both festivals are waiting for it might as well happen each festival deals with that differently. I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm just not certain...

57 minutes ago, clasher said:

The National did NOS last year and are headlining Mad Cool this year... (grasping at straws as I really like them, I admit)

As for sharing the last headliner - judging by last year's cooperation between the two festivals (and that's literally the only thing to base the shared headliner thing on) - it's likely. However it makes more sense that a planned shared headliner pulled out of both festivals, rather than both festivals leaving it this late to book or even agree on one. So unless there's an embargo on a biiiiiig name both festivals are waiting for it might as well happen each festival deals with that differently. I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm just not certain...

Tame Impala were exclusive last year to MC. Can't see them playing here any longer, there'd be no reason for them to not be announced by now.

I also don't think there's an embargo at play here. I genuinely think they simply don't have names to announce and/or those that they have unannounced, well, god knows why they haven't presented them to us yet

Last time The Cure headlined NOS Alive, they only had 2 bands supporting them (Florence & Mumford) and played 36 songs. When they performed in South Africa last month, they played pretty long sets, 32 songs. I fully expect the same in Lisbon, 3 hours set. That's why I think there won't be any more acts on the main stage on Thursday. Cure, Weezer and 2 other acts already announced. Plus Sharon van Etten & Xavier Ruud on other stage. Very happy about that 

Saturday is already sorted. Pumpkins, Chems, Bon Iver, Idles, don't need much more to be honest.

Friday is probably the worst day I seen anywhere this year. One decent band called Primal Scream, and the rest is just a waste of time & space. Still think that missing headliner will be Kings Of Leon. Maybe they got some strange deal / agreement with Beni that they can't announced KOL for a time being? Still don't get it why some of the acts that been released lately by Mad Cool are not shared by NOS. 

2 great days, one to forget, terrible PR. I haven't been there since 2008, might be tempted enough to come back 

14 minutes ago, pete76 said:

Last time The Cure headlined NOS Alive, they only had 2 bands supporting them (Florence & Mumford) and played 36 songs. When they performed in South Africa last month, they played pretty long sets, 32 songs. I fully expect the same in Lisbon, 3 hours set. That's why I think there won't be any more acts on the main stage on Thursday. Cure, Weezer and 2 other acts already announced. Plus Sharon van Etten & Xavier Ruud on other stage. Very happy about that 

Saturday is already sorted. Pumpkins, Chems, Bon Iver, Idles, don't need much more to be honest.

Friday is probably the worst day I seen anywhere this year. One decent band called Primal Scream, and the rest is just a waste of time & space. Still think that missing headliner will be Kings Of Leon. Maybe they got some strange deal / agreement with Beni that they can't announced KOL for a time being? Still don't get it why some of the acts that been released lately by Mad Cool are not shared by NOS. 

2 great days, one to forget, terrible PR. I haven't been there since 2008, might be tempted enough to come back 

Yo Vampire Weekend are fun

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Have you got the mega chalet booked again?

Prob not the best idea after I accidentally smashed the whole front off of ours last time! Skinner and I were discussing it last night - he said it was the funniest thing he'd ever seen. So stupid/clumsy! We laughed so much at the time we had to lie on the floor. Got an Air BnB near with a balcony near Bairro Alto.

You should come as a Glasto replacement. You deserve a normal holiday!

On a more positive note I've been looking at the current lineup and there's actually 8 acts I'm happy to see on the first day, which is great going. If the festival gods wanted to give me a clash free day that would be great- I'd love it to be something like

Loyle Carner > Honne > Weezer > Jorja Smith  > Robyn > The Cure> Hot Chip > Maribou State 

What a day that would be. 

6 minutes ago, DarthSaul said:

On a more positive note I've been looking at the current lineup and there's actually 8 acts I'm happy to see on the first day, which is great going. If the festival gods wanted to give me a clash free day that would be great- I'd love it to be something like

Loyle Carner > Honne > Weezer > Jorja Smith  > Robyn > The Cure> Hot Chip > Maribou State 

What a day that would be. 

I agree that the line-up is pretty decent already. Nice to hear some positivity.

16 hours ago, Homer said:

Prob not the best idea after I accidentally smashed the whole front off of ours last time! Skinner and I were discussing it last night - he said it was the funniest thing he'd ever seen. So stupid/clumsy! We laughed so much at the time we had to lie on the floor. Got an Air BnB near with a balcony near Bairro Alto.

You should come as a Glasto replacement. You deserve a normal holiday!

Would love to, though Bee is the issue, not really a baby friendly mission! There's also the fact that Mad Cool is the same weekend! I'll just stay at home and be sad ?