NOS Alive 2019

AlexTurnah

Maybe it is Childish Gambino and announcement is held back to generate excitement for a post Coachella + this announcement for a film with Rihanna announcement.. (Or Rihanna with same logic applied) 

totaaaaaaaal stretch I know. 

Edit- As in he's going to be talked about a heap the coming two weekends with the performances and the film. Good time to announce him. 

Edited by DarthSaul

1 hour ago, DarthSaul said:

Maybe it is Childish Gambino and announcement is held back to generate excitement for a post Coachella + this announcement for a film with Rihanna announcement.. (Or Rihanna with same logic applied) 

totaaaaaaaal stretch I know. 

Edit- As in he's going to be talked about a heap the coming two weekends with the performances and the film. Good time to announce him. 

He already has a scheduled show in July in Australia + the Lion King Premiere in mid July probably in States so he´s off.

Had no idea that Tame Impala would keep new material hidden from their performances as of now but I guess that's just how Kevin rolls. Considering that, I really don't know how fun it would be to have them headline with only 2 new songs if they don't release an album beforehand but whatever, it is likely that we aren't getting them anyways

58 minutes ago, young_contra said:

Had no idea that Tame Impala would keep new material hidden from their performances as of now but I guess that's just how Kevin rolls. Considering that, I really don't know how fun it would be to have them headline with only 2 new songs if they don't release an album beforehand but whatever, it is likely that we aren't getting them anyways

It's been debated on NME this morning indeed. Not the best timing to get them ! https://www.nme.com/reviews/live/tame-impalas-coachella-headline-set-huge-moment-band-instead-feels-like-wasted-opportunity

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, young_contra said:

And the production was so good at their gig, I was skeptical about them headlining and I still think that they´re not comercially stable to that at others festivals but the set was amazing and production was from another planet, I doubt that Alive can give them that kind of production, maybe that´s why they won´t come, and for people like me who´ve seen them a couple years ago to listen the same songs all over agian is not that special.

Edited by festivalguy97

18 hours ago, young_contra said:

This timing was unfortunate for Tame because Coachella is in April and Coachella needed a replacement for Justin Timberlake last November. In 2015 they also played at Coachella and only played Let It Happen and Cause I am a Man from Currents. Their album will be out before the summer maybe during Primavera. They will not headline more than 15 festivals and not have an album by then

1 minute ago, chilirocker said:

Shall we set up a wager that this will be another week with no announcements? It's getting extremely embarrassing now, particularly in the light of Mad Cool's mammoth announcement last week...

Yeah I don't know why I even bother checking the forum every day anymore. Festival is in less than 3 months and still no Friday headliner. Communication from the festival has been terrible.

10 minutes ago, sinivali said:

Tame Impala seems to be getting more and more boring tbh, wonderful production but the actual tracks aren't memorable at all

I agree, I actually hit to really think whether I had watched them at B BBK a few years ago as they're so unmemorable. It's like background music - even when you're watching it.Not sure where this idea that they're a party band with loads of bangers has come from!

44 minutes ago, Homer said:

I agree, I actually hit to really think whether I had watched them at B BBK a few years ago as they're so unmemorable. It's like background music - even when you're watching it.Not sure where this idea that they're a party band with loads of bangers has come from!

I think its all down to personal taste and experience, I saw Tame at Citadel last year in London and thought their set was spectacular with an amazing light show. I would happily take seeing them at NOS with a similar set (as Currents is a masterpiece) or with more new songs but then again im probably quite biased as I love the band ?

I think the idea of them being a 'party band' is down to a few songs off of Currents (The Less I Know The Better, Let It Happen etc) which are quite 'dance-y' songs, they also happen to be some of their biggest/most mainstream songs so to say.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Homer said:

To be honest I haven't really heard anybody describe their sets as a 'party' atmosphere. Maybe this comes about from the fact that they're highly regarded on the festival circuit, because of their fun, easy going personalities along with ambient 'feel good' music and beautiful light shows. 

Personally think they are a good edition to any lineup at most relevant festivals across the world. 

While I'm not the biggest Tame Impala fan (I can only stand their latest outputs, their "psychedelic rock" thing is a snooze fest to me) I do recall their 2016 show and it was pretty wild and certainly what the 12th of the july is missing but yk, at this stage it really is just missing SOMETHING. You all know very well that I would have liked to see Foals here instead of Tame Impala if that had to be the case but damn, to not have both, to have no clue on what the headliner will be AND to be missing other main stage acts is just disheartening.

On a side note, how the hell couldn't this festival set itself ready for the possibility of Childish dropping out due to schedule conflicts? It's not like it is a secret that Glover has a lot of things going on at the same time, it's a bit absurd how that possibility didn't even cross their minds

45 minutes ago, Sam_2316 said:

To be honest I haven't really heard anybody describe their sets as a 'party' atmosphere. Maybe this comes about from the fact that they're highly regarded on the festival circuit, because of their fun, easy going personalities along with ambient 'feel good' music and beautiful light shows. 

Personally think they are a good edition to any lineup at most relevant festivals across the world. 

Was on the Glastonbury Fest forum. If people like them then fair enough, I just think they're a bit too mellow and lacking in big hits to win over the casual non fan, especially in headline slots!

Just now, Homer said:

Was on the Glastonbury Fest forum. If people like them then fair enough, I just think they're a bit too mellow and lacking in big hits to win over the casual non fan, especially in headline slots!

Yeah fair enough, I mean when they played in 2016 they werent on a late slot so I think the mellow, ambient atmosphere youre describing worked pretty well. Each to their own I guess, im sure you would agree, we would take ANYBODY right now! 

6 minutes ago, Sam_2316 said:

Yeah fair enough, I mean when they played in 2016 they werent on a late slot so I think the mellow, ambient atmosphere youre describing worked pretty well. Each to their own I guess, im sure you would agree, we would take ANYBODY right now! 

Ha - I'll happily take Cut Copy, Primal Scream and VW if it comes to it and have a chilled one in the middle! 

I do like Melody's Echo Chamber though - though I gather he's left now.

Just now, young_contra said:

I don't recall them ever doing that before but it does look like a desperate move

Awfully desperate attempt to get more ticket sales, I really can't see it working either. Who would buy tickets with the current line-up just because they've thrown in a street art tour???? Just announce the rest of the line up!!!!!

• Upvote 1

It really feels like someone has let them down/cancelled/promised and not delivered. NOS (and Optimus prior to that) have often used "The Best Lineup. Always" on their posters and I think most every observer would say that 2018 and 2019 are not even comparable in terms of "The Best". I'm happy with what we have so far, booked my trip before the lineup and ticket sales so totally committed to the festival but it does look like there is a gap that was to be filled. Ticket sales cannot be strong this time out, not when you look at how quickly they were shifting tickets for Pearl Jam last time out.

I think I could excuse the final headliner if the undercard was complete. How the hell can you not fill the Sagres stage by now though?! There needs to be another 8/9 names on there. There’s not a minute number of options of acts to fill these slots. These should be easy slots for the festival to fill and yet here we are 3 months away with loads of slots to be filled. 

You wouldn’t get this with Reading or IOW. Hell, you wouldn’t even get it with Y not, Kendal Calling etc. Is it just one guy booking acts on his mobile when he gets a spare 5 minutes every now and then? Come July it won’t make a blind bit of difference when they were announced but it doesn’t fill you with confidence that the festival is taking this long with it. It’s embarrassing stuff really that a major promoter can be this bad

Easter weekend too so there’s less working days for them to announce acts for this week. Need to pull their finger out and fast

• Like 2

Ok, the only possibility now is that they must wait for a single announcement because it is basically the same artists. 

For example Thom Yorke dj set, Radiohead, Atoms for Peace, some side project of Jonny Greenwood etc... 

:D:D:D

• Like 1