NOS Alive 2019

AlexTurnah

13 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Unless they're reincarnating Jimi Hendrix, you can't help but feel it will end being a huge anticlimax and a "meh" booking. 

The longer it goes on, the more likely "meh" will be the reaction. I think each week that passes, the calibre of act that fans would find worth the wait jumps up a few notches. We're currently at Chilli Peppers level, but soon we'll be approaching the Stones and AC/DC territory. 

1 minute ago, jparx said:

The longer it goes on, the more likely "meh" will be the reaction. I think each week that passes, the calibre of act that fans would find worth the wait jumps up a few notches. We're currently at Chilli Peppers level, but soon we'll be approaching the Stones and AC/DC territory. 

As long as it isn't Florence or The 1975 zzzzz. But I suspect it will be. I'd be down for Neil Young or even Fleetwood Mac if they're still around Europe by then. 

5 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

As long as it isn't Florence or The 1975 zzzzz. But I suspect it will be. I'd be down for Neil Young or even Fleetwood Mac if they're still around Europe by then. 

The 1975? No way, impossible

I get that this wait isnt a first time for this festival but what about other main stage acts? We only have ONE relevant name on the 12th so far!

I bought my ticket week they went on sale as I've been stung with them selling out in the past, flight was booked last month, so I'm going regardless but one of the most fun parts of a festival is the anticipation and build up and theher doing a really poor job of that. Friday day ticket sales must be awful at the moment.

I said earlier in the thread I am happy with who's there at the moment and certainly is value for money compared to the UK, but I will be annoyed if they've spent ages holding back names and they turn out to be nothing spectacular. 

6 minutes ago, Han-Tyumi said:

From someone who works in the industry, this has all the hallmarks of someone big pulling out at the eleventh hour. Either that or they're sat on a massive embargo.

We're probably getting Florence + announcement once her EU tour is over. 

When does her EU tour end?

At this point, among touring artists in European festivals, I'd hope for Robbie Williams, Pink or Neil Young headlining on Friday, Foals subbing, and Florence + The Machine headlining on Friday. 

Touring acts in my wishlist are Gang Of Youths, The Raconteurs, Crystal Fighters, The Cat Empire, Slash ft. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators, Rival Sons and Strand of Oaks.

59 minutes ago, Hannah990 said:

All this talk about the festival being in trouble is terrifying me. Does anyone who actually has a clue about how festivals work have any opinion on this?

I can help. I can't see why the festival wouldn't go ahead, the final headliner may just seem not worth the wait/underwhelming.

Cancelling festivals is an e-x-t-r-a-o-r-d-i-n-a-r-i-l-y huge expense. If they were able to book these artists, they had enough in the bank to make it go ahead (deposits etc + being contractually bound to pay the balance of the fee regardless of if the festival goes ahead or not, short of force majeure)

Given how heavy the branding is at NOS Alive I would think it safe to presume a lot of costs are offset by sponsors so the risk isn't as high.  That being said, most major festivals only make a profit after they've sold about 80/90% of their tickets so if sales were really crap, they'd feel it next year

Don't sweat it and go have a lovely time in the Lisbon sun! 

Edited by Han-Tyumi
Typos, typos everywhere.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Han-Tyumi said:

Me. I can't see why the festival wouldn't go ahead, the final headliner may just seem not worth the wait/underwhelming.

Cancelling festivals is an e-x-t-r-a-o-r-d-i-n-a-r-i-l-y huge expense. If they were able to book these artists, they had enough in the bank to make it go ahead (deposits etc + being contractually bound to pay the balance of the fee regardless of if the festival goes ahead or not)

That being said, most major festivals only make a profit after they've sold about 80/90% of their tickets so if sales were really crap, they'd feel it next year. Given how heavy the branding is at NOS Alive I would think it safe to presume a lot of costs are offset by sponsors so the risk isn't as high.  

What's your take on why they're taking so long to announce other acts besides the final headliner? 
You're right about the branding at NOS Alive, it's sponsor heavy which I believe is one of the reasons why the tickets aren't that expensive to begin with. 

11 minutes ago, Han-Tyumi said:

I can help. I can't see why the festival wouldn't go ahead, the final headliner may just seem not worth the wait/underwhelming.

Cancelling festivals is an e-x-t-r-a-o-r-d-i-n-a-r-i-l-y huge expense. If they were able to book these artists, they had enough in the bank to make it go ahead (deposits etc + being contractually bound to pay the balance of the fee regardless of if the festival goes ahead or not, short of force majeure)

Given how heavy the branding is at NOS Alive I would think it safe to presume a lot of costs are offset by sponsors so the risk isn't as high.  That being said, most major festivals only make a profit after they've sold about 80/90% of their tickets so if sales were really crap, they'd feel it next year

Thank you for this!! 

16 minutes ago, gregory said:

How do you all know there is a final headliner to come anyway? Aside from assumption... 

Because in anyplace in this world  Vampire weekend are not headliner material, and with only them and Izal  onthe main stage on the second day, of course a headliner is missing

Edited by Tigane

3 hours ago, Tigane said:

Because in anyplace in this world  Vampire weekend are not headliner material, and with only them and Izal  onthe main stage on the second day, of course a headliner is missing

Not true, they headline Hangout Music Festival for exemple (and MO Pop). But you're right, definitely not headliners at NOS Alive!