NOS Alive 2019

AlexTurnah

1 minute ago, TheNewUnion said:

I'll take The Cure and Massive Attack from there please. If War on Drugs are still on the road I'd love to see them there. They're getting better and better as a live act. Kings of Leon, less so for me, but surely they've got a good show in then it they can park their ego for a bit. 

They will not get Massive Attack after what happened with them at Mad Cool. Massive Attack wants no one else against them when they are playing and it is impossible to do in Nos Alive's set times.

10 minutes ago, birchtree29 said:

They will not get Massive Attack after what happened with them at Mad Cool. Massive Attack wants no one else against them when they are playing and it is impossible to do in Nos Alive's set times.

not strictly true, I thought it was the fact that there was noise issues from another stage, that wouldn't be a problem at nos

32 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

I'll take The Cure and Massive Attack from there please. If War on Drugs are still on the road I'd love to see them there. They're getting better and better as a live act. Kings of Leon, less so for me, but surely they've got a good show in then it they can park their ego for a bit. 

Saw War on Drugs last year at the Barrowlands in Glasgow. Absolute perfection. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

They're becoming a magnificent live act, aren't they. If they play as the sun is going down it'll be very special I think. That's all dependent on them playing though, so not overly hopeful. 

They played in the evening sunshine at RW in 2015. It was so good.

On 10/19/2018 at 1:29 PM, birchtree29 said:

THey did this year with Pearl Jam. No stage was going on, during the Pearl Jam gig.  So that is not a problem for Nos Alive

4 minutes ago, Tigane said:

THey did this year with Pearl Jam. No stage was going on, during the Pearl Jam gig.  So that is not a problem for Nos Alive

It definitely is a problem. Pearl Jam's set was longer than expected and that obligated At The Drive-In to shorten their 1-hour set to only 20 minutes, which reasonably angered a lot of people. I don't think NOS Alive will get on the "my band only plays if no one else's playing at the same time" train again, at least not this year.

I think NOS Alive is definitely an option for me next year, most likely a weekend off after Glasto and then NOS , Bilbao or Mad Cool.

There's a couple of reasons I'd be hesitant about going back to Mad Cool, one being how long it took to get back after the festival ended. NOS looks to be far more central, albeit a couple of hours walk down the coast to central Lisbon according to Google Maps, just wondered what anyone who's been before's thoughts were on things like getting there/back, queueing inside and generally if you'd recommend it? :)

16 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

I think NOS Alive is definitely an option for me next year, most likely a weekend off after Glasto and then NOS , Bilbao or Mad Cool.

There's a couple of reasons I'd be hesitant about going back to Mad Cool, one being how long it took to get back after the festival ended. NOS looks to be far more central, albeit a couple of hours walk down the coast to central Lisbon according to Google Maps, just wondered what anyone who's been before's thoughts were on things like getting there/back, queueing inside and generally if you'd recommend it? :)

I went to NOS Alive every year since 2016. In terms of getting there/back it's easy - you have to take a 10-15 minute walk and then you have buses to literally every part of Lisbon. The organisation is good and there aren't long queues :) 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, diogozsz said:

I went to NOS Alive every year since 2016. In terms of getting there/back it's easy - you have to take a 10-15 minute walk and then you have buses to literally every part of Lisbon. The organisation is good and there aren't long queues :) 

Great, thank you! I'm not expecting to be on the doorstep or anything like that so if there's buses etc.that are well organised that's enough for me! I'll do a bit of research myself in terms of which area of Lisbon to price up, but is there anyway you've stayed the last three years you'd recommend? So long as there's some options for food, drinks and a bit of scenery for the day before/after the festival I'd be happy!

38 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

Great, thank you! I'm not expecting to be on the doorstep or anything like that so if there's buses etc.that are well organised that's enough for me! I'll do a bit of research myself in terms of which area of Lisbon to price up, but is there anyway you've stayed the last three years you'd recommend? So long as there's some options for food, drinks and a bit of scenery for the day before/after the festival I'd be happy!

oh idk man, i live here haha but if you stay near a subway or train station you only have to travel for 5-10 minutes to see the main beauties of Lisbon 

4 hours ago, alexlloyd said:

Been at NOS last year, and I do recommend it. For a festival of this size near/in a major city it's really well organised. Great combination with Lisbon and/or something more beach related. 

Queueing does occur of course, but it's certainly managable. You basically have to avoid the times you know it will be busy. If you don't enter the site directly as it opens, and also not at 18ish, you'll probably walk straight in (depends a bit on how tight security is). For leaving: Just after a headline finishes it's really busy, but you keep moving. But to cope with the crowds they divert you and it can be quite a walk. Depending on your bus you might have to wait (but nothing I would really complain about). The train can also be great, depending on where you stay. If you leave much later (often some more acts after headliner) or just before they finish, it's even easier. It's helpful to buy a Viva Viagem with some money on it beforehand. It's a public transport chipcard on which you can put money, you can buy them at kiosk and loads of other places.

Food inside the festival isn't spectaculair, have a good lunch/meal earlier. Often some queueing, haven't waited longer than 15-30 minutes. Getting a drink right after an act can be nightmarish of course. Hope they improve the loo situation next year, was really busy at times and some poor crowd control.

I staid in Belém, it's about halfway between the city center and the festival. It's a real nice neighbourhood and has some tourist attractions of its own. 15-30 minutes to the festival, about the same to the city. I would say public transport isn't as tight on schedule as you might be used to, so take your time for it. Heard some great stories about the available camping too.

Hope you'll enjoy, line-up comes soon hopefully. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/25/2018 at 12:59 AM, StupidDream said:

Been at NOS last year, and I do recommend it. For a festival of this size near/in a major city it's really well organised. Great combination with Lisbon and/or something more beach related. 

Queueing does occur of course, but it's certainly managable. You basically have to avoid the times you know it will be busy. If you don't enter the site directly as it opens, and also not at 18ish, you'll probably walk straight in (depends a bit on how tight security is). For leaving: Just after a headline finishes it's really busy, but you keep moving. But to cope with the crowds they divert you and it can be quite a walk. Depending on your bus you might have to wait (but nothing I would really complain about). The train can also be great, depending on where you stay. If you leave much later (often some more acts after headliner) or just before they finish, it's even easier. It's helpful to buy a Viva Viagem with some money on it beforehand. It's a public transport chipcard on which you can put money, you can buy them at kiosk and loads of other places.

Food inside the festival isn't spectaculair, have a good lunch/meal earlier. Often some queueing, haven't waited longer than 15-30 minutes. Getting a drink right after an act can be nightmarish of course. Hope they improve the loo situation next year, was really busy at times and some poor crowd control.

I staid in Belém, it's about halfway between the city center and the festival. It's a real nice neighbourhood and has some tourist attractions of its own. 15-30 minutes to the festival, about the same to the city. I would say public transport isn't as tight on schedule as you might be used to, so take your time for it. Heard some great stories about the available camping too.

Hope you'll enjoy, line-up comes soon hopefully. 

Sorry, I must have missed this!

Yeah I don't mind queueing etc. it's part of every festival but I think two nights at Mad Cool it took 2-3 hours to get home, which I'd like to avoid again! Thanks for the comments about Belem as well I will take a look at it when it comes to looking at hotels.

Like you say, hopefully we get some announcements soon and it stands above the others that weekend, looked it up and The National came first on 10th November last year and by 1st December Pearl Jam, QOTSA, Future Islands, Real Estate and Wolf Alice were added too so hopefully they'll come think and fast once they start!

From the list of names being banded around for next year so far I'm hoping The Cure and The Strokes end up being two of them, those two and Muse seem obvious choices for NOS/Mad Cool to share (depending on whether Muse/s Madrid date is their own or not).

Good start for me and should go a long way towards convincing the mrs to commit to this over the others that weekend. QOTSA were announced five days after The National last year so fingers crossed there’s a second headliner within the next week or so ?

Looking through past line up posters seems quite common for NOS to have a coheadliner, at least in the last 3-4 years... struggling to think who wouldn’t be an outright out the list of potentials at the minute though. 

Don’t know if you’ve been before, but we went this year and have everything booked up again for 2019. It’s a brilliant festival in a fantastic location. First band 5pm gives you the option of lazing around all afternoon or you can head into the city. I’d highly recommend it.

• Like 1