Reading and Leeds Festival Research

I am currently performing research for my dissertation, looking at how the change in the types of artists appearing at Reading and Leeds over the past few years has affected previous attendees decision to re-attend. I would appreciate it if any previous attendees could take 5 minutes to complete a questionnaire, looking at whether these changes have benefited the festival or not. https://goo.gl/forms/YmljqMOUxsFI8m7H3

Thanks

31 minutes ago, johnnysnipes said:

I am currently performing research for my dissertation, looking at how the change in the types of artists appearing at Reading and Leeds over the past few years has affected previous attendees decision to re-attend. I would appreciate it if any previous attendees could take 5 minutes to complete a questionnaire, looking at whether these changes have benefited the festival or not. https://goo.gl/forms/YmljqMOUxsFI8m7H3

Thanks

That's a more interesting angle than many of the questionaires we get round here. :)

However, I'm not really sure it can tell you much that's useful. Even in the days of more rock on the line-ups, sooner or later people stopped attending Reading/Leeds - because it's been primarily a youngsters festival for decades.

And whether or not a change of musical direction to better reflect today's music scene has benefitted the festival is a purely subjective thing dependent on which sort of line-up a person prefers, and there's no guarantee that someone preferring the more-rock version would be buying a ticket.

At the end of the day the measure of success for any festival is whether it can keep selling the tickets year after year - and on that basis Reading/Leeds is pretty solid compared to the festival market as a whole.

Completed it, not sure what it’s actually going to tell you and the audience here is very different to that you’ll get at the festival itself (now and in previous years)

as someone whos been to the last 20 Readings, I’ve seen the music rotate around with trends over the years, by far the biggest change to the festival in that time has been due to festivals in general becoming far more mainstream. 

When I first went in 97, festivals were still very much alternative things, these days it’s not alternative if you don’t go to one. The lineups will obviously be affected by this.

Reading has always aimed at what’s cool with kids and now the mainstream go to a festival, the cooler end of the mainstream will now be represented as opposed to the alternative niche which it once targeteD

ir would be interesting to compare the lineups with radio 1 playlists over the years and see what correlation there is

Edited by Benj