June 2018

FuzzyDunlop

On a scale of Long Drops to Stone Circle, how much have you missed Glastonbury this year?

Im at a 6 (Other Stage). I think the fact it just isnt on at all means I don't miss it as much. In 2013 when I didnt get a ticket, I was gutted. This year & 2012, I have been a happier with it.

Saw the Stones, Liam Gallagher & QOTSA in June. Have a few gigs planned in & Boomtown on the horizon.

It hasn't been that bad....

Shitting it for October though.

I've certainly missed it more than 2012, I think the weather has been a bit of a kick in the teeth. 

I probably should have arranged another festival to go to, I've done Bearded but I always do so that's no substitute, other than that just a one dayer in town. 

I'm not sure if coming on here everyday and sending out all those Thingy "On This Day" tweets has been a help or a hindrance, on the one hand it's been a bit like having a support group, on the other it's a constant reminder of what could have been.

I'd say that on the Dunlop scale I'm at Hobo on Avalon. It may not be a headline grabber but is something I look forward to enormously every year, always great fun and a little emotional.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A nine probably.  I've missed it more this year than almost any year before.  Even when I didn't go in 2011, 2013 or 2015 due to marriage and children (respectively) taking up my time.  And 2012 had the Olympics as a distraction, plus I could actually go out more often then because I didn't have a small child.

Yeah, this year has been a hard one, worst since missing 2003, I'd say.

This is my first fallow, 2015 having been my first year. 

I've felt a bit lost really. I had a big trip taking in lots of music in memphis and nashville and im planning a cheap city break for later in the year but its not really helped so far. Facebook memories is torture!

Silver linings in being over the fallow year hill, watching the Killers in Bolton tonight with all the family and my travelling buddy wants to come to the festival next year. 

Once I've got dolled up and im ready to go tonight I'm going to take a phototo update my reg details. Roll on T day!

Despite having a massive group holiday over the usual Glastonbury weekend and going to three other festivals this year (APE, Tramlines, Sziget), I have definitely missed it. Maybe it's because I haven't done another camping festival but I've definitely been craving that 'escapism' five days drunk in a field gives you.

I'm kind of glad there's been a year off.

I've obviously missed it loads (understatement) but it's financially incredibly draining it's been kinda nice having some money this june/july. After a few in a row it gets in no way samey but there's an odd routine to it, I'll be doubly ready next time and soak it all in a little better. Plus, it'll be 10 years since my first one next year so I'm gonna go hard for that bad boy. I missed tickets in 2013 so that was a 2 year gap (after going 09, 10 and 11) which makes this 1 year gap (hopefully) not seem so bad.

I'm gonna go for a lazy west holts afternoon 5 for this one.

Although slightly consoled by it being a fallow year and everyone is in the same boat I have missed it like hell this year....it's been a big hole in our summer.  Prob not helped by the fact we are nursing an elderly dog who we can't leave so any holidays or other adventures away are all on hold for the foreseeable future....although the absence of GF has paradoxically helped us out in that respect.

On the Dunlop scale I'm afraid we are a Spike gusting to NYC Downlow....

4 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I'm kind of glad there's been a year off.

I've obviously missed it loads (understatement) but it's financially incredibly draining it's been kinda nice having some money this june/july. After a few in a row it gets in no way samey but there's an odd routine to it, I'll be doubly ready next time and soak it all in a little better. Plus, it'll be 10 years since my first one next year so I'm gonna go hard for that bad boy. I missed tickets in 2013 so that was a 2 year gap (after going 09, 10 and 11) which makes this 1 year gap (hopefully) not seem so bad.

I'm gonna go for a lazy west holts afternoon 5 for this one.

I know what you mean by this. Wednesday and Thursday always follow the exact same pattern -

Weds - arrive and unpack, beers at tent, wander down into site, Cider Bus & Pyramid Field, West Holts...

Thurs - Up, bimble around Theatre & Circus, try to have a mooch around the Green Fields before giving up as it's too busy (resolve to come back later in the fest but never do), sit up on the hil at the Park, fail to get anywhere near the Stonebridge...

On the Dunlop scale I'd give myself a rating of 'trudging through sticky mud in dry weather.'

Tbh, a fallow year couldn't have fallen more favourably, weather aside.  I've been very, very busy with other things and not having to put in the time, money and effort a Glastonbury requires has been a silver lining.  Although I really, really could do with the escapism for a few days, I can't say I've missed the festival this year.

I'll be back on track for 2019 though!  :D 

It's okayish to miss when you know that nobody else is going.  Nothing like the trauma of not going when ya mates are already ticket holders. And then there's the "I'm gonna go and buy an angle grinder and cut a doorway through that bloody fence" kind of insanity of watching on telly when ya mates are in there. 

To summarise I'm thinking fallow year not to bad. 

I was ok for 5 days while at IOW... but other than that been in pure withdrawal mode all summer... its hard. Starting to get bad anxiety about getting tickets in October too.

Having nightmares about only getting a blank white page again for an hour at 9am.... 

The weekend the festival should have been, I was a bit higher on the scale - maybe up to a losing your mates when they have supplies - but I have been impressed with how Ive handled it.

I think 3 big gigs, a trip to Ireland, London & an upcoming festival helped!

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

I’ve had a really busy June so not missed it a great deal. 

I moved house, went to Lisbon for a stag, went to APE for The National and saw England play cricket. 

Weekend of the festival I did think briefly, “damn it would have been a great year weather wise”, but other than that my mind has been elsewhere. 

This last week I have actually thought about it a little more, but more in the sense of “who would have played”. 

On 7/13/2018 at 12:27 PM, Heather90 said:

This is my first fallow, 2015 having been my first year. 

I've felt a bit lost really. I had a big trip taking in lots of music in memphis and nashville and im planning a cheap city break for later in the year but its not really helped so far. Facebook memories is torture!

Silver linings in being over the fallow year hill, watching the Killers in Bolton tonight with all the family and my travelling buddy wants to come to the festival next year. 

Once I've got dolled up and im ready to go tonight I'm going to take a phototo update my reg details. Roll on T day!

I know this is hugely off topic, but I went to Memphis and Nashville as part of of my honeymoon. Loved both. Did you take a trip down to New Orleans too? 

Back on topic, when I log in this website I miss it more. Also going to Queens of the Stone Age at Finsbury Park meant I had a lot of pants for Glastonbury following that taster. I'm going to Canada for 2 weeks in September though, so every cloud etc etc. 

Edit: I've also noticed a lot of people mention they didn't get tickets for 2013. 2013 was the only year that I didn't get tickets when I've tried. A little concerning as that was also after the fallow year! 

Edited by Tyonks