Worst Album Covers

Quark

On 11 July 2018 at 11:31 PM, cammie81 said:

3E7DDE0E-9A31-473D-97D3-366511D0277B.png

Their first album was a great debut. With a great minimalist cover appropriate for its time (imho).

They took the concept too far with this though. Remember thinking at the time "that's bollocks that is".

I mean? That's crappier than having a crappy photo isn't it?

On 12 July 2018 at 5:44 PM, Fishman said:

Ha - I'm secretly impressed that you know this.

Badnews87.jpg.56b00b753afa7cdbe4d63889ba5c834d.jpg

Loved this album. Had tickets for them live the day after the night of the great storm of October (insert year here, 84? Mid Eighties definitely. Just googled it. '87. Fuck me). Our train home was cancelled and me and my GF of the time had to do the "her hitchiking while I hid in the bushes" thing to get home. Honest to god the bloke gave us the "cash, ass or grass" speech after about a minute. We scarpered out at some convenient traffic lights.

Thanks for reminding me. Hadn't remembered that for ages :)

Did anybody ever get a copy of said album (or copy of a copy) that didn't have that "bad pressing" faint echo of everything going on? Or was that deliberate and part of the gag?

25 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I like a lot of these covers.  Even when they're objectively shit, a lot stand out.  The Kevin Rowland album, for instance - it's not exactly beautiful, but it's memorable.

It's definitely memorable to me.  I wish it wasn't though!  I could say the same of a few others too, mainly from my Teenage Heavy Metal Phase (THMP).  Metal does seem to be well represented in this thread.

9 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

It's definitely memorable to me.  I wish it wasn't though!  I could say the same of a few others too, mainly from my Teenage Heavy Metal Phase (THMP).  Metal does seem to be well represented in this thread.

Hair metal anyway! 

Just now, fatyeti24 said:

Yeah, true.  Some of the stuff I listened to would maybe bring down this thread's light-hearted tone :D 

You? Surely not :lol:

Fun fact: interestingly the concept of Iron Maiden's Eddie came from an early Derek Riggs sketch.  His original name was "Electric Matthew"

I think it could be a combination of this thread and listening to Johnny Walker's new Rock Show on Radio 2 but I've started listening to some of my old metal albums this week, Ozzy on Tuesday, Maiden & Priest last night. 

220px-Bark_at_the_moon.jpg  220px-IronMaiden_NumberOfBeast.jpg   220px-Jpunleashedintheeast.JPG

None particularly horrific but definitely of their time. This on the other hand...

Rogue%20Male%206.jpg

6th form project from someone who got a D.

21 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I think it could be a combination of this thread and listening to Johnny Walker's new Rock Show on Radio 2 but I've started listening to some of my old metal albums this week, Ozzy on Tuesday, Maiden & Priest last night. 

220px-Bark_at_the_moon.jpg  220px-IronMaiden_NumberOfBeast.jpg   220px-Jpunleashedintheeast.JPG

None particularly horrific but definitely of their time. This on the other hand...

Rogue%20Male%206.jpg

6th form project from someone who got a D.

That last one is just amazing. The Ozzy one is also objectively pretty bad.